WIS User Interview - skunk206 Topic

SimLeague Baseball player and Windy City resident skunk206 is the subject of our User Interview. A WhatIfSports.com member since 2000 and an SLB regular since 2007, skunk206 has compiled nearly 50,000 wins and 81 championships, plus another 14 TOC championships. In this Q&A, skunk206 discusses his strategy for building teams, his favorite players to use and the man behind the username.

http://whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=interview_20140220

Many thanks to skunk206 for taking the time to share with the community.
2/20/2014 6:00 PM
Great stuff, skunkster!   Well deserved recognition for one of the best SLB owners on the site.
2/20/2014 9:57 PM
Good read, skunk!  I especially enjoyed your satirical touch here:

Editor's Note: A significant SimLeague Baseball update is in the works for 2014.

That was you, right?  

(ADMIN: Just kidding!  Please don't jinx my teams!)
2/21/2014 4:49 PM
I really thought that was a good interview. Its neat to learn about other players personal life and their relation to sports and how they play WIS. Thanks skunk for sharing. I work in downtown Chicago as well, maybe skunk and I can have lunch and talk WIS........ no wonder skunk wants to relocate, this has been the 5th worst winter in Chicago since they started keeping the stats!
2/21/2014 9:18 PM
I really enjoy reading the user interviews also.  Wish they were more frequent as there are tons of regular users on this site.

You'll appreciate the fact that I just ordered MXC season #4 on DVD and now have a complete run of season 1-4.  One of the greatest shows ever skunk206!!!
2/23/2014 4:23 PM
Posted by chisox378 on 2/21/2014 9:19:00 PM (view original):
I really thought that was a good interview. Its neat to learn about other players personal life and their relation to sports and how they play WIS. Thanks skunk for sharing. I work in downtown Chicago as well, maybe skunk and I can have lunch and talk WIS........ no wonder skunk wants to relocate, this has been the 5th worst winter in Chicago since they started keeping the stats!
Yes, this has definitely been a winter of discontent.  I work at UIC and live two blocks away so I'm always around...
2/24/2014 3:45 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/23/2014 4:23:00 PM (view original):
I really enjoy reading the user interviews also.  Wish they were more frequent as there are tons of regular users on this site.

You'll appreciate the fact that I just ordered MXC season #4 on DVD and now have a complete run of season 1-4.  One of the greatest shows ever skunk206!!!
Ha, it's not that often that someone else even knows what the MXC stands for.  I must admit I don't own any of the DVDs, but I did see many of the episodes while the show was still airing on Spike.
2/24/2014 3:48 PM
I watched disc #1 of season 4 three times over the weekend and laughed so hard each time my wife thought I was having a heart attack!
2/24/2014 4:39 PM
Thanks for the shout-out skunk! 
3/4/2014 11:59 AM
You're welcome.  It's too bad I had to end the Choose Your Own Theme league.  It just got tiring season after season listening to some owners complain about the themes of others, and then getting very little cooperation from some people in helping to verify rosters for themes where it's difficult to do. 
3/4/2014 12:05 PM
Yeah, I wasn't terribly surprised that you let it go.  While I loved the "no stat-based themes" rule, I could tell it didn't fly well with a lot of people.  While I didn't care if someone ran an "all hall-of-famers" or something ridiculous against my teams where I had pools of <100 players to draw from, it is pretty hard to balance that type of league.  

FWIW, if you had ran it one more time, I was going to do a Van Lingle Mungo theme, using players mentioned in the Dave Frischberg song.  Total player pool of about 40 (I would've needed about 3 twisted teammates, since there are no second basemen and nowhere near enough quality IP).  It woulda been awful.
3/4/2014 2:56 PM
That's the spirit.  The funny part is that the owners who complained the most about the themes of others almost always were the ones who chose something incredibly easy for themselves.  Like all players from 1950-2013.  Really?  You're giving yourself half the database and thousands of players to choose from and you're questioning minor details about someone else's theme who is actually trying to challenge themselves?  These are the kind of owners who would have looked at your idea and complained that I would have allowed you to twist teammates.  "If they're not in the song, he shouldn't be allowed to use them."
3/4/2014 4:57 PM
I remember I chose "24 Babes and a Fox" for my Choose Your Own Theme team (Babes Ruth, Herman, Adams, Phelps, etc. plus Nellie Fox at 2B since there was no Babe in the database with enough PA at that position.

My memory's fuzzy, but I vaguely recall another owner choosing for his theme something like pitchers who gave up no (it could have been "very few") home runs.  What a challenge!
3/4/2014 5:52 PM
That's why I eventually banned stat-based themes. They were so boring and usually not challenging.
3/4/2014 6:39 PM
good interview, interesting read.
3/6/2014 11:59 AM
WIS User Interview - skunk206 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.