New Game Analyzer 1.9.3 Topic

I finally made some really good progress on this thing this weekend.  I think I've got every possible play situation figured out now and I can grab all that data.  The challenge now is figuring out the best way to display it all.  Here's a quick version I whipped up where I just adjusted and added some columns for the new data.  I shortened the values for some of the old columns to help make room.

http://www.gdreports.com/tools/yatzr/game_analyzer.htm

Here's a rundown of the columns:
O.T - Offense type.  Will either be "Ps" for pass or "Rn" for run.
D.T - Defense type.  Will be "Rn" for run, "PsS" for pass short, "PsM" for pass medium, or "PsL" for pass long
OPM - Offensive Play Maker.  Will be whoever the ball was thrown to or whoever rushed the ball.
RD - Run direction.  "I" for inside, "O" for outside
PS - Pass Status.  "C" for completion, "BdT" for bad throw, "Drp" for dropped pass, "KnD" for knocked down, "Int" for interception
PD - Pass distance. "v" for very short, "S" for short, "M" for medium", "L" for long, "D" for deep
Cvrg - The defense positions that were covering whoever the ball was thrown to
Cvr - How well was the receiver covered - "O" for wide open, "C" for covered, "WC" for well-covered, blank for no mention.
Prsr - how much pressure was on the QB at the end of the play. 0 - none, 1 - pressure, 2 - heavy pressure
RO - did the QB roll out of the pocket
DPM - Defensive Play Maker.  The guy that made the tackle, knocked down the pass, or made the interception.
Blz - The defensive guy that blitzed, if any

As always, please give me feedback and let me know if you run into any issues.  Now go figure out how to beat sims consistently...I really need to know 

3/12/2014 9:13 PM (edited)
I forgot, here's the sort of information I'm grabbing that I'm not showing yet.  Some of these, I really don't know if they mean anything, or if it's just fluff.
How was the ball carrier tackled?  Sometimes it says "strong", sometimes it doesn't.
Did the O-line make a "strong push"?
Did the rusher break through a regular defense or a strong defense?
How well was the receiver covered? Wide open, no mention, covered, or well-covered.
I also keep track of every receiver mentioned in the play along with how well they were covered, how much pressure was on the qb at the time, what distance they were, etc.  I've got one idea on how to show this in the tool, but I'm interested if anyone thinks it's useful.
2/23/2014 3:55 PM
This is awesome
2/23/2014 4:27 PM
Very cool. But couldn't you have released this a week ago before I put in the time to make my own analyzer in excel?
2/23/2014 4:40 PM
yatzr, these are the only two items that I have comments on.

1.  How well was the receiver covered? Wide open, no mention, covered, or well-covered.

I think that one is important.  I agree that it might be fluff, but it appears to be important.

2.  I also keep track of every receiver mentioned in the play along with how well they were covered, how much pressure was on the qb at the time, what distance they were, etc.  I've got one idea on how to show this in the tool, but I'm interested if anyone thinks it's useful.

This one would be interesting to look at for sure.  Whether or not is it important (relative to the other information already provided) is questionable.  

2/23/2014 6:44 PM
Additional notes:

1.  What about sacks?  I don't see them as a result
2.  Under PD column....perhaps change the small v to a CAPITAL V
2/23/2014 6:49 PM
I think this whole section you talked about above is VERY, VERY, VERY useful...

How well was the receiver covered? Wide open, no mention, covered, or well-covered.
I also keep track of every receiver mentioned in the play along with how well they were covered, how much pressure was on the qb at the time, what distance they were, etc.

I believe there are things to learn from QB pressure and how well "covered" a receiver is.

Also doe "BdT" include both the old "Inc" and "TBOOB" (throws the ball out of bounds)? The reason I bring this up, is that TBOOB is typically a function of QB pressure and not a bad pass. It may be helpful to break TBOOB out of BdT if it is included. We could call it "OoB" for Out of bounds.

I've often thought it may give insight to a QBs ability to find an open receiver if we look at how many receivers he looks to before actually throwing the ball. For example, why is it that the QB throws to his first option? Why does he look to his 2nd option? 3rd? I don't think I have seen a QB look at more than 3 receivers.

also, without a ton of work, do you think it helpful / possible to pull in fatigue numbers?

I know these will add a lot of columns, but most of us take your data and drop into super spiffy spreadsheets. So a ton of columns is OK.

Thanks so much for all you do for GD community!!!!! No BS, if it weren't for you and Bob I would not be playing GD!
2/23/2014 6:52 PM
Quote from chalvorson:  Thanks so much for all you do for GD community!!!!! No BS, if it weren't for you and Bob I would not be playing GD!

+100000
2/23/2014 6:57 PM
Your best analyzer yet, and I echo the above cudos... THANKS!
+100001
2/23/2014 7:26 PM
trying to download the entire season of PBP for season 84 Heisman Georgia Southern...and it keeps "hanging up" with 7 games remaining.  
2/23/2014 8:02 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 2/23/2014 8:02:00 PM (view original):
trying to download the entire season of PBP for season 84 Heisman Georgia Southern...and it keeps "hanging up" with 7 games remaining.  
What's the team id?  I'll check it out.  It's possible there's some super rare pbp string that's messing up the tool.

"What about sacks?"
I do keep track of sacks, but I didn't think it was worthy of its own column.  They're still fairly easy to spot.  Any play where the offense was a pass, the playmaker was the QB, and there's a defensive playmaker.

"The small v."
I knew someone was gonna spot that!  It's that way cause WIS left it lower case in the pbp, and I was too lazy to code in the special case.  I may get around to it later.

"BdT" only includes overthrows and underthrows.  The out of bounds throw probably results in no pass status right now.  I should be able to add that in though.

"pull in fatigue"
The tool actually already pulls in fatigue.  You can see it when you mouse over the defense formation or the offense formation.  I might add in a column for average fatigue for both offense and defense, but no more than that.  I do plan on including a real excel export feature that would include the full breakdown.

Thanks for the feedback.  Keep them coming!
2/23/2014 9:14 PM
2/23/2014 9:40 PM
Found the issue.  Glad to say it's not my fault 
Checkout the defensive lineup on the 2:57 play in the 1st quarter of this game.  There's a phantom LB on the field!
http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/PlayByPlay.aspx?gid=4620819&quarter=1&view=1

I'll let someone else file a ticket for that one.  I'll get my tool updated to try to deal with that.
2/23/2014 9:49 PM
While testing that out, I found that there's several cases where the defensive playmaker shares the same last name as an offensive player which results in that offensive player being declared the DPM.  Will definitely have to figure out a fix for that one.
2/23/2014 10:00 PM
ticket submitted.  Thanks yatzr...I would have never found that little tidbit.
2/23/2014 10:23 PM
123 Next ▸
New Game Analyzer 1.9.3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.