Has anyone measured how severe the platoon split is?  And, I think, it is the same adjustment for all players, across the board?
2/24/2014 3:31 PM
They claim 5% bonus or penalty to platoon split.  I think they use same ratio for all players, or we'd all exploit another loophole. 
2/24/2014 3:45 PM
The "loophole" is that switch-hitters always have a 5% bonus because they are always facing the opposite hand.  And that is exploited well enough with current cookie strategies/players.
2/24/2014 3:51 PM
If I remember correctly, I made the playoffs once with an all-platoon team using no AAA all season long in an OL. 

We also once had an ongoing Platoon theme league, where no player could have more than a certain number of IP or PA (450 or something like that) so platooning was almost obligatory, as was use of bench players (no AAA). I ran it for a few seasons, then pfattkatt took it over for a while. 

But certainly neither platooning nor use of benches in OLs is favored by the way the WIS algorithm works.
2/25/2014 4:17 AM
Not trying to argue with my friend skunkster, but I seem to remember reading that switch hitters were even (0%) against each side.  I may be mistaken though!
2/25/2014 4:52 AM
I though switch hitters were even.

I thought:

rhp vs rhb was 5% to the pitcher
Rhp vs lhb was 5% to the batter
And switch hitters were always even
2/25/2014 6:22 AM
Posted by italyprof on 2/25/2014 4:17:00 AM (view original):
If I remember correctly, I made the playoffs once with an all-platoon team using no AAA all season long in an OL. 

We also once had an ongoing Platoon theme league, where no player could have more than a certain number of IP or PA (450 or something like that) so platooning was almost obligatory, as was use of bench players (no AAA). I ran it for a few seasons, then pfattkatt took it over for a while. 

But certainly neither platooning nor use of benches in OLs is favored by the way the WIS algorithm works.
I don't agree with the last statement. You can efficiently build a team using the principles of platooning. I do it all the time in leagues with caps and leagues without.
2/25/2014 6:24 AM
Posted by mensu1954 on 2/25/2014 4:52:00 AM (view original):
Not trying to argue with my friend skunkster, but I seem to remember reading that switch hitters were even (0%) against each side.  I may be mistaken though!
I don't recall seeing that in print anywhere but it would make more sense and I'd be glad to know it's true
2/25/2014 8:18 AM
This reminds me of Animal Farm. "I thought I remember it saying, 'No animal shall sleep in beds' ".

I don't know if its official print, or just JohnGPF print, but switch hitters are supposed to have 0%. We had a long thread a couple of years ago, however, that pointed out evidence to the contrary.
2/25/2014 9:02 AM
4.5% according to this slide when applicable.

2/25/2014 9:05 AM
I don't recall the thread on the topic, but it would make sense that switch-hitters are neutral since their 'handedness' is already reflected in their RL stats.

And no, Booger, it ALWAYS said 'beds with sheets'. Just ask the sheep.
2/25/2014 2:11 PM
The sheep said, "Four legs good, two legs better!", but I thought it was "two legs bad"? Ah well, they don't make for very good conversation either way.
2/26/2014 10:54 PM
mmm, lamb chops....
2/27/2014 1:59 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.