D3, Season 72 Topic

I'm sleepy today but I'll try to stay awake long enough to kick off another season of Game of the Night writeups.  Good luck in the non-conference season everyone and have fun.

GotN
#17 Lynchburg (0-0)(googs04) at #16 Austin (0-0)(ricosuave21)
We have three games between ranked opponents, I'm picking the game with closest ranks and the one feature our defending champs.  Lynchburg starts off their title defense on the road as they visit Austin College.  Austin isn't located in Austin, Texas.  It's in Sherman, Texas.  Weird.  However Lynchburg IS in Lynchburg, Virginia.  This is the kind of hard-hitting analysis you can expect all season.  The visitors are favored by a single point in this one.

Also considered: #4 Ursinus at #22 Allegheny, #23 Fitchburg St. at #6 Grove City, #10 Ozarks at Ramapo, Emmanuel at #19 North Carolina Wesleyan, Willamette at #24 Medgar Evers, #25 Dallas at Webster

Sim blowout watch: The blowout watch kicks off in style as Macalester is getting a massive 89 points as they host #2 Vassar while Maine Maritime is a 71 point home dog against #8 Emory.

As usual, the ITaLRbHAGotN featured game will return once the conference season starts up.  Give you something else to look forward to.
3/10/2014 4:08 PM
From the article that darnoc linked to:

"Landes said the team will continue the theme at the ballpark this year, selling bacon-flavored cotton candy and offering free bacon crumbles on all concession items the team sells, from hot dogs to ice cream."

I've already forwarded this request to the Wooster concessions department.

3/10/2014 4:13 PM
Shouldn't you be requesting haggis from the Wooster concessions department?
3/10/2014 5:02 PM
Anyone interested in making a Rupp D3 pool on the Billion Dollar bracket challenge?

I was going to do it, but it wants a phone number and I'm personally refusing to give them my number in case it results in me getting bombarded by marketing texts.

If someone else is willing to take that risk though... ;)
3/10/2014 5:09 PM
Can I get bacon crumbles on the haggis?
3/11/2014 3:57 PM
mmmmm bacon...

Last Night
Lynchburg 80   #12 Austin 87
The home team had a slim 2 point lead at the break and the game continued to be back-and-forth until almost halfway through the second.  Austin went on a little run to build up an 8 point lead and then never trailed again.  The defending champs would make several more runs at a comeback, but Austin answered every one and held on for the 7 point home opener victory.  Austin and ricosuave move up closer to the top ten with the win while Lynchburg and googs fall down into the others receiving votes section.

Also considered: #2 Ursinus was too much for Allegheny 65-51, #4 Grove City held on for a 73-66 home win over Fitchburg St, #7 Ozarks edged Ramapo 61-57, #17 North Carolina Wesleyan made just enough free throws to secure a 67-66 victory over Emmanuel, #22 Willamette got past Medgar Evers 88-82, and #20 Dallas out-Gorloked Webster 69-66.

Sim blowout watch: Both sims had no trouble covering the big spreads, Macalester fell to #11 Vassar 59-100 and Maine Maritime lost to #19 Emory 56-86.

GotN
#14 Whittier (1-0)(windixies) at #7 Ozarks (1-0)(westcoast22)
It's So.Cal visiting the University conference on day two in one of two games between ranked opponents.  Both teams won their season openers and will be looking to build an early winning streak.  windixies has won the only previous meeting between these two and his team is favored by 1 on the road.

Also considered: #25 Texas Lutheran at #10 Wooster, #6 Oglethorpe at Wisconsin La Crosse, Dickinson at #9 Colorado, #12 Austin at Medgar Evers, #21 Johnson and Wales at Wentworth Tech, and #22 Willamette at Allegheny

Sim blowout watch: La Grange is getting 52 points as they host #16 Emerson and Lasell is close behind as a 51 point home dog against #5 Hardin-Simmons.
3/11/2014 4:30 PM
The entire woodwinds section is up in arms over the projected 10 win season at Baldwin Wallace College.   Reeds will roll if we don't hit 500.
3/12/2014 10:17 AM
Ha!  You should have told me that you were really TrentonJoe and I could have factored that in.  That is easily worth three wins.
3/12/2014 11:26 AM
The sign of a true great is taking a 10.6 win team and making them a 13 win team!
3/12/2014 3:16 PM
13.6 wins would be even more impressive!
3/12/2014 3:52 PM
I won 13.6 games once.

Last Night
#8 Whiiter 76   #25 Ozarks 74
The home team held a 5 point lead at the half in this one and extended that lead to double digits after the break.  But Whitter was able to mount a late charge to close the gap and then take a one point lead with just under two minutes to play.  The teams then traded a couple rounds of free throws including an and-one by Ozarks to tie the game with just fifteen seconds remaining.  Whittier's John Fowler then sealed the game with a wide-open dunk with three seconds on the clock and the visitors celebrated.

Also considered: #7 Wooster recovered to get the home win over Texas Lutheran 89-84, #4 Oglethorpe cruised past Wisconsin La Crosse 76-55, #18 Dickinson used a big second half to upset Colorado 71-56, Medgar Evers got late free throws to sink Austin 94-92, #11 Johnson and Wales showed no mercy on Wentworth Tech. 110-68, and #14 Willamette got by Allegheny 63-52.

Sim blowout watch: La Grange kept it close but still fell to #22 Emerson 61-76 and Lasell did not keep it close at all but still managed a cover against #9 Hardin-Simmons 59-105.

GotN
#18 Dickinson (2-0)(mfnmyers) at #7 Wooster (2-0)(pseudochamp)
Two more games between ranked teams tonight and we're going with this Centennial/North Coast clash.  Dickinson just climbed into the rankings after taking out a single-digit ranked team on the road last night and now they're going for two in a row.  Wooster will look for a similar streak after beating a visiting ranked team in the previous game.  pseudochamp leads the series 2-1 and the Fighting Scots are favored by a point at home.

Also considered: #19 Louisiana at #3 Greensboro, John Carroll at #10 Wittenberg, #13 North Carolina Wesleyan at Worcester St, #14 Willamette at Penn St. Altoona, SUNY Cortland at #15 Dallas, and Wisconsin La Crosse at #20 Christopher Newport

Sim blowout watch: New York U is a 66 point road dog as they visit #4 Oglethorpe while William Paterson is getting 62 points on the road against #17 Rivier.
3/12/2014 4:13 PM
FYI, I am working on a new version with such precision that it will predict wins up to 6 decimal places.  This will be a subscription only service and if you don't pay you will be stuck with accuracy only to two decimals, which is lame.
3/12/2014 4:32 PM
I fully expect a good old fashion curb stomping tonight by the hands of Greensboro. With my starting PF out with an injury, I have no chance... not that I had much of one before.
3/12/2014 8:56 PM
early going looks like USA South is the big dog this year - Piedmont and Greensboro up to their old tricks and running #1 & 2....  we all knew Piedmont would be outstanding - looks like Greensboro may give them a test
3/13/2014 10:23 AM
Oglethorpe is in that conference, too.  They look very good.
3/13/2014 11:33 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...17 Next ▸
D3, Season 72 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.