D3, Season 72 Topic

Thanks Jeffsu buddy :)  I still have some work to do to make it more user-friendly and have other things I'd like to keep track of like highest rpi ratings of all time, etc etc. I'll leave both polls up then until just before the last game of the NT.
4/13/2014 3:11 PM
I know everybody has had their fair share of heartbreaking losses. Last night was my most heartbreaking ever. Down by 1 with 4 seconds to go against a 1 seed and #4 ranked Ozarks my best player gets fouled while shooting. He is a B+ FT shooter. I'm thinking more than likely I have the game won and at worst it is going to overtime. My B+ FT shooter proceeds to miss both FTs. Ouch.
4/14/2014 6:05 AM
I have lost a couple of tournament games on last second shots, but nothing like that, especially against a one seed.  Brutal.
4/14/2014 11:18 AM
Posted by ezekialstarr on 4/12/2014 11:53:00 AM (view original):
Nachopuzzle you got it buddy, I'll be working to add the OAC today :)
thanks eze, can you post the link to that again, please?
4/14/2014 3:28 PM
It's a shame google sheets is not more powerful.  I've pushed it to its limits and now I think I'll have to switch over to excel and see if I can make it work with my current formulas.  What a drag.
Nachopuzzle, click here and then I recommend clicking on the "View Scores Via Google Docs" button near the upper right of the screen.  If you can't view google docs because you're at work, click the "Rupp" tab at the top of the page and that will take you to the same place, though it isn't as easy to navigate as going straight to docs.  I do have one more tweak to the scores system that may affect the scores a bit.  I think the Starr engine pretty much has the scores where we'd want them now, but would still love all of your feedback.  Before moving on to other projects or adding more conferences, it's important that what I have so far is accurate.   I actually made a blog on that site for it or you can always site-mail me.  I hope when the Starr Engine is finished and things are made easier to navigate, we'll all have a great time with it.    I have a lot of ideas for it, which I won't discuss here but will write about in the blog mostly so I can remember it down the road.

Tooslim, yeah that's a rough way to lose man.  I bet both you and the #1 seed were on the edge of your seats for that one.  
4/14/2014 4:46 PM
Got it...thanks again, this stuff is very interesting, much appreciated.
4/14/2014 6:39 PM
np, that's what I am hoping for :)
4/14/2014 8:07 PM
Just wanted everyone to know, Starr gives Piedmont a team score of 92.8, I plan to plug in the USA South tonight, hopefully google can handle it.  Piedmont definitely has the score to beat.
4/15/2014 10:17 AM
Hey ezekial: I got a chuckle when you said: "I bet both you and the #1 seed were on the edge of your seats for that one"

Here is what this game has done to me: The game results come in at 12:30 AM where I live in Colorado. I went to bed about 11 PM or so. At 2:30 AM or so I woke up and rolled over and remembered I had a playoff game. I thought I would lose and it probably wouldn't be close, but curiosity got the best of me so I grabbed my iPad which I leave next to my bed for such occasions, and went through the game results. I was shocked I was in the game most of the way and of course disappointed by losing in that manner even though I was a decided underdog. So now I am wide awake and decided I might as well look at the rest of my games and this takes until about 3:30 am. Still wide awake I get up and turn on the TV and finally doze back off on the couch about 5am. I wake up about 6 am and go back to bed. At 7 am I get up and take a shower and head off to work half in a daze, a victim of being addicted to WIS sports games. So actually it wasn't the edge of my seat--LOL--it was in bed at 3 am reading my iPad.

Do you or anybody else get up in the middle of the night to see results--or am I the only one crazy enough to do it?

4/15/2014 9:53 PM
I do that frequently for games deep in the NT, and I definitely do it to recruit if I'm in a heavy scouting phase of recruiting. 
4/15/2014 10:39 PM
Ezekial, where do you have Hardin-Simmons? Definitely the most laughably underseeded five seed I've seen in a while. 
4/15/2014 10:40 PM
Well my schedule is all over the place since I work in construction and my wife and I try to take turns so we don't need a sitter. Most of the time (I am New York and games are ~2:30) I can't stay up that late but if I come in around 2:00am or even if I've been home and couldn't get to sleep, then yeah. Like Tarvolon, I am also more likely to stay up later for a deeper NT run. I've also woken up a couple of times and checked the scores, though more often than not when I wake up, I only THINK to check the scores. And that's the last thing I think until I wake up in the morning, I don't stay awake for long in the night. In the last 10 years, I'm not even sure if I've ever got up to go to the bathroom- no I don't wet the bed! Unless... is that why my bed is wet all the time?

Tarvolon, I sent Hardin-Simmons through the engine and it came back 84.6. That's definitely #1 seed territory. That said, Starr favors Wittier at 84.7. That is an extremely small margin, by the way. Now I want to check them out and see who I like, but here's what Starr said:

Hardin-Simmons Team Score: 84.6
Hardin-Simmons Suggested Starting Line-up
Player__________________Position__________Starr Score_______Suggested Tempo
Stanley Jones______________C________________86.7_____________Uptempo
Jesse Waller_______________PF_______________82.2
Otis Neal__________________SF_______________84.8
Pete Castillon______________SG______________ 85.6
Christopher Stoneburner _____PG_______________86.1

Wittier Team Score: 84.7
Wittier Suggested Starting Line-up
Player___________________Position_________Starr Score________Suggested Tempo
Cody Wolfe_________________C_______________90_________________Normal
Michal Rykaczewski_________ PF______________90.5
John Fowler________________SF______________78.9
Alan Moore________________ SG______________98.1
William Kinyon______________ PG______________79.9
4/16/2014 12:56 AM (edited)
Figured I might as well give the other data as well, since it's only 3 more sets and Tarvolon's included.

Piedmont - SS 89.2 "Suggests Uptempo" (was higher in the older formula)
Vassar - SS 81.5 "Suggests Slowdown"
Favorite: Piedmont by a lot, maybe 80/20 or higher.

Dallas - (old score - 83) SS 80.2 "Suggests Uptempo"
Grove City - (old score - 79.8) SS 79.9 "Suggests Uptempo"
Favorite: 50/50

Calvin - SS 75.6 "Suggests Normal"
Dickinson - SS 81.3 "Suggests Uptempo"
Favorite: Dickinson, looks like a 70/30 to me, based on scores.

Just want to point out the Starr does not consider the team you are playing against concerning suggestions on tempo. Man now I almost want to wait up for the games, it's so close! Can't do it though, it'll be cool to see if the Starr Engine was right or wrong in the morning :)
4/16/2014 1:22 AM
Final game scores and tempos:

Hardin-Simmons - 126 (Uptempo)
Wittier - 106 (Uptempo)

Piedmont - 89 (Uptempo)
Vassar - 79 (Slowdown)

Dickinson - 84 (Uptempo)
Calvin - 61 (Slowdown)

Lake Erie - 64 (Slowdown)
Dallas - 53 (Normal)

Geez Tarvolon, I saw your game and it couldn't have felt good to watch the game assign all those fouls to your best player, so fast! I swear the engine picks a target in some of the games and says, "You! Don't bother suiting up because we've already decided you're going to foul out." You really do get some bad luck in the elite 8- still quite an impressive season for any of us normal coaches.

Starr was way off in regards to the Hardin-Simmons game (which does not factor in for game-planning). What do you guys think, would Wittier have fared better with the Starr Engines line-up or tempo? What do you think?
4/16/2014 8:19 AM
Posted by tooslim on 4/15/2014 9:53:00 PM (view original):
Hey ezekial: I got a chuckle when you said: "I bet both you and the #1 seed were on the edge of your seats for that one"

Here is what this game has done to me: The game results come in at 12:30 AM where I live in Colorado. I went to bed about 11 PM or so. At 2:30 AM or so I woke up and rolled over and remembered I had a playoff game. I thought I would lose and it probably wouldn't be close, but curiosity got the best of me so I grabbed my iPad which I leave next to my bed for such occasions, and went through the game results. I was shocked I was in the game most of the way and of course disappointed by losing in that manner even though I was a decided underdog. So now I am wide awake and decided I might as well look at the rest of my games and this takes until about 3:30 am. Still wide awake I get up and turn on the TV and finally doze back off on the couch about 5am. I wake up about 6 am and go back to bed. At 7 am I get up and take a shower and head off to work half in a daze, a victim of being addicted to WIS sports games. So actually it wasn't the edge of my seat--LOL--it was in bed at 3 am reading my iPad.

Do you or anybody else get up in the middle of the night to see results--or am I the only one crazy enough to do it?

Rest assured tooslim, you're in good company.

I keep trying to convince myself that the scores will still be there in the morning and that the results won't change themselves overnight. I'm still waiting to listen to myself. On big game nights, I'll wait up for the games to play a lot of times (also a Mountain time zone here...). That's a dangerous idea because it risks either my going to bed in a bad mood combined with a lack of sleep or...staying awake another hour dissecting the play-by-play to see what did/didn't work.

Hi...my name's Red...and I'm an addict...
4/16/2014 11:11 AM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...17 Next ▸
D3, Season 72 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.