DH $52M Draft League XLIV Topic

Winning 50 games means you won 50 games which is not that hard. I'm talking about winning the title.

3/14/2014 4:36 AM
it's a little easier when you have Nate's failed experiment in your division
3/14/2014 9:35 AM
^Felon, we had 5 forty+ win teams, you had 3.  You had a guy with even fewer wins than Nate!

I like the high competition of this league and you can argue that there are other reasons the top is dominating, but you can't argue that salaries have drastically gone down since  the UVA heydays when Calvin Natt was a great pick.

Great finals going on.   Enjoy next season with Nate taking one for the "team".
3/14/2014 1:23 PM
Posted by felonius on 3/14/2014 9:35:00 AM (view original):
it's a little easier when you have Nate's failed experiment in your division
or when you have coach 
3/14/2014 3:03 PM
def cant say im gonna miss seeing 66-67 wilt in the league next season...though nates still probably gonna have a good team...having the 2/3 picks this time around is huge

i had natt one season right when he was falling off...im pretty sure it was kareem/camby/natt/peja/nash....i thought i was gonna dominate with that offense but ended up getting smoked on defense and finished with a mediocre year

3/14/2014 3:09 PM

Okay baja no offense but how many 50 game winners have you built in this league. I remember a couple. If you have done better that that than forgive me but I don't remember that many. It's not that easy dude. My average is close to 50 wins for this league and it's never been easy. I had a terrible 35 or 37 game winner a while back that screwed my winning percentage. 2 of my 3 championship teams were drafted with lower first round picks.

I think that nate should take the 6667 Wilt. He earned the top pick. Why should we all assume that nate would automatically win the title with the 6667 Wilt or dominate the league with him? He hasn't shown the abilty to dominate this league or even come close to winning a title here. Not taking the 6667 Wilt pretty much assures us that nate will try some crazy experiment and thus have a built in excuse for having an under performing/under acheiving team. If he takes Wilt than he has all of the pressure of having to prove to us that he is a legit championship caliber owner at this level. And if he fails than the perception is that he isn't really that great. I say take the 6667 Wilt nate and show us what you can do.

3/15/2014 12:03 AM
I'm going to be out most of the weekend. I know the draft has not officially started but when it does you already KNOW that my pick is to stop the 66-67 Wilt from being used, and of course the only way to accomplish that is to actually select Wilt and opt for a different season. So, dh pls sm for me and make the pick official once you decide to begin the draft.

Thanks,

Nate
3/15/2014 7:20 AM
closer to 1
3/15/2014 12:15 PM
Posted by felonius on 3/15/2014 12:15:00 PM (view original):
closer to 1
same
3/15/2014 1:35 PM
Posted by steelers821 on 3/15/2014 1:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by felonius on 3/15/2014 12:15:00 PM (view original):
closer to 1
same
you a$sholes...i think that bumps me out of that dominant paint scorer group
3/15/2014 1:42 PM
Posted by badja on 3/13/2014 8:54:00 PM (view original):

PLAYER MIN FGM/FGA 3PM/3PA FTM/FTA OREB REB AST BLK STL TO PF TP
66-67 Wilt Chamberlain* 48 10/13 0/0 3/4 6 14 10 7 2 3 1 23

To be frank, nothing can balance out 48 minutes of Wilt.

Wilt used to be waaay out of realistic salary ranges.  He was used only in super high cap leagues or he took up so much salary that he was a liability on a team.   Jordan was the same story.

But....the salaries are so much lower now than they used to be that the cap in both the 52 and ODL should really be lowered.  It used to be better to draft from the middle or the end, but that is not the case in either league. 

Now you have to have a top 10 stud (really top 5, but many don't know how to draft so the good ones still fall) to win here.  It even took Ash a top 10 pick to get a chip here, but he regularly won drafting from the middle in the ODL.

As long as we can surround Wilt and Dwight with excellent role players, they should dominate.  So my answer would be lower the cap rather than ban players. 

$45 mil for the ODL and 49 or 50 mil for this league would be a good start. 

The ODL used to be 42 mil. It was raised to 47 mil because salaries were increased across the board a couple years ago and it became near-impossible to get anywhere near 19600 minutes with a good team. So I don't know where you got that salaries got lower. They're higher than they were before. Look at open leagues now - the best teams draft like 18000 minutes and have to count on rookies to play because salaries are so low.

Wilt has become better because people got smarter and people reached a consensus about which one was best. That wasn't true 3-4 years ago. I can remember plenty of debates about which Wilt was best (ash I remember being one of the biggest champions of Simply put, the community has collectively gotten better because the SIM stopped changing (they used to update/modify all the time) so we've had plenty of time to refine strategy. But 66-67 Wilt is already borderline unusable at $47 mil because his salary is so high.

I could see adjusting this league to $51 mil. Because let's be honest, basically every team already finds it tough to get under 20000 minutes while still spending the whole budget (although some people like to have the extra 500-1000 minutes of flexibility to give themselves lineup options). The ODL definitely shouldn't go any lower though, IMO. And I think $47 mil and $50 mil would be on the edge of having the two leagues too close together for there to be a meaningful difference.

3/15/2014 1:47 PM
I am against reducing the cap. The biggest reason is that it makes it hard to draft for flexibility. Right now it is impossible to have that 6th guy you can swap into your starting lineup to change the match up against a team that destroys your basic starting 5. If the cap is reduced further, then we might as well change the league to pick 5 league instead of 7, because it will be much harder to make good use of 6th and 7th pick with lower cap.
3/15/2014 2:04 PM
Hey are we drafting yet?? 
3/15/2014 2:38 PM
dh said we'll start drafting after the current season is over....
3/15/2014 3:10 PM
by 'proxy' nate picks Wilt - who is drafting second? someone sitemail them
3/15/2014 3:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...28 Next ▸
DH $52M Draft League XLIV Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.