Underachieving or just plain bad? Topic

3/13/2014 2:40 PM
First thing I notice is you're comparing AL players to NL players.  I wouldn't do that because they're not facing the same competition.   Ever.   Beyond that, I don't know if you're comparing seasons or careers.    Not that it matters because they're in different leagues.   That would be like comparing one of your guys in Fisk to one of my guys in Cooperstown. 
3/13/2014 3:00 PM
Bryan Kraemer, and  Oleg Durham are both in AL along with Ryan Garko and Garko's RH splits (i laid it out by season on the previous page) are worse than Durham's career stats, despite being substantially better in all rating categories).
3/13/2014 3:23 PM

Parks play a role also.   Durham has a career OPS .060 worse than Garko.  In a more forgiving park.   Not sure I see your complaint there.   Kraemer is slightly better in a park that's built for him.    Not much to complain about there either. 

3/13/2014 3:29 PM
Garko's career OPS vR is .693. Durham's career OPS is .711 (vs both lefties and righties).
3/13/2014 3:32 PM

Durham has 1600+ career AB in a better hitter's park.   Garko is a RH batter with a 64 split(no idea how many AB but I'm guessing 1900) in a less forgiving park.   And the numbers are practically identical.   If Garko had 30 more total bases(or a few more walks) in his 2800+ AB, they are identical.  

3/13/2014 3:44 PM
Just be glad you don't have Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ryan Lyons.   He looks like he should be able to OPS .720 or so but he can't.  And we pass him around like a $5 whore.  I had him once and traded him 3 days later.  Then reacquired him this season because I had some cap space and a need for defense in RF.   He still sucks.   Maybe Ryans suck in this game.
3/13/2014 3:52 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/13/2014 3:44:00 PM (view original):

Durham has 1600+ career AB in a better hitter's park.   Garko is a RH batter with a 64 split(no idea how many AB but I'm guessing 1900) in a less forgiving park.   And the numbers are practically identical.   If Garko had 30 more total bases(or a few more walks) in his 2800+ AB, they are identical.  

Yes I get the hitter's park thing, but still half of his games are away, and his Rh split is better by 10 points, contact by 3 (which increase avg right?), his eye is 9 points better (which should increase OBP) and his power better by 44 (!). And yet his vR splits are worse!

He's had 1642 at bats incidentally vs. right handers. 

3/13/2014 4:04 PM
Texas is a much better hitter's park.  Much better. 
3/13/2014 4:41 PM
Being an owner in Fisk with bglick, I'll say a few things.  First, your having a pretty darn good year with a young team so I wouldn't sweat the small stuff too much Lick, because individual stats are meaningless if your winning 60% of your games right?  Second, take a peek at my Arizona team.  Would you expect Belisle to be batting .225?  The dude should be a STUD and isn't this year.  Just about every team every year is going to have a guy who under performs substantially for a season.  It's kinda like real baseball?  If you assemble a team of talented players that compliment each other you will do well regardless of some individual statistical irregularities.  You seem to have that figured out pretty well!

I'll also say your comparison of Santiago and Tarraga above is kind of odd to me?  Santiago was on my team for a stretch so I'm quite familiar with him.  He showed me enough to do a 5 year deal for his production.  Santiago has WAY better pitches and very similar other stats and his career numbers are slightly better so I really don't see any major irregularities with those two, so I'm not sure the issue there???  I could make a very honest argument that Tarraga is over preforming a little in that comp....
3/13/2014 9:33 PM
◂ Prev 12
Underachieving or just plain bad? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.