OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

It's time for my annual NCAA report on coaching changes. Feel free to comment,  add hiring/firings, or discuss possibilites. 

Changes already announced:

SCHOOL                        FORMER COACH                                 NEW COACH
Appalachian St.-          Jason Cappel                                       Jim Fox (Davidson asst.)

Auburn-                             Tony Barbee                                     Bruce Pearl (formerly at Tennessee)

Boston College -          Steve Donahue                                   Jim Christian (Ohio, formerly at Kent St. and TCU)                              

Bowling Green-            Louis Orr                                              Christ Jans (Wichita asst.)

California-                     Mike Montgomery (retired)                  Cuonzo Martin (Tennessee)

Cal-Riverside-             Dennis Cutts (interim)                         Dennis Cutts (promoted from interim)

Central Arkansas-Corliss Williamson (resigned)

Clarence Finley (interim)         Russ Pennell (formerly at Grand Canyon)

Coppin State             Ron 'Fang' Mitchell                       Michael Grant (Stillman College, formerly head coach at Southern U.)

Delaware State – Greg Jackson (fired in Jan)         Keith Walker (promoted from interim)

Florida A&M- Clemon Johnson. N. .Byron Samuelson [formerly at Hampton and Radford)

Florida Atlantic- Mike Jarvis (resigned)                       Michael Curry (former Pistons coach)

Houston -  James Dickey (resigned)                           Kelvin Sampson (formerly at Wash St, Oklahoma, and Indiana)

IPFW-          Troy Jasick (to Jacksonville)                      Jon Coffman (promoted asst.)

IUPUI-                  Todd Howard                                      Jason Gardner (Memphis asst)

Jacksonville-           Cliff Warren                               Troy Jasick (Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne)

Kennesaw St. -     Lewis Preston                          Jimmy Lallathin (promoted from interim)

Lamar-                   Pat Knight                                    Tic Price (formerly at McNeese St., Memphis, and New Orleans)

Loyola Marymount-   Max Good                            Mike Dunlap (former coach Charlotte Bobcats)

Maine- Ted Woodward                                               Bob Walsh (DIII Rhode Island College)                            

Marquette- Buzz Williams (to Va. Tech)                  Steve Wojciechowski (Duke asst.)

Marshall                        - Tom Herrion                         Dan D'Antoni (Lakers asst)

Maryland-East. Shore-  Frankie Allen                             Bobby Collins (Winston Salem, formerly at Hampton)

Missouri- Frank Haith (to Tulsa)                                  Kim Anderson (Central Missouri)

Montana-  Wayne Tinkle (to Oregon St.)                     Travis McCuire (Cal asst)

Montana St.-                   Brad Huse                                Brian Fish (Oregon asst.)

N.C. Wilmington-    Buzz Petersen                               Kevin Keatts (Louisville asst)

North Dakota St.-  Saul Phillips (to Ohio U.)               Dave Richman (promoted from asst.)

Ohio-                Jim Christian (to Boston Coll)            Saul Phillips (North Dakota St.)

Oregon St.-   Craig Robinson                                     Wayne Tinkle (Montana)

Rice-                   Ben Braun                                      Mike Rhodes (VCU asst)

South Dakota- Joey James (interim)                     Craig Smith (Nebraska asst.)

South Florida-   Stan Heath                                       Orlando Antigua (Kentucky asst.)    

So. Mississippi- Donnie Tyndall (to Tenn.)             Doc Sadler (Iowa St. asst; former head coach at Texas-El Paso and Nebraska)            

SE Louisiana-  Jim Yarbrough                                  Jay Ladner (Jones County C.C.)

Tennessee- Cuonzo Martin (to Cal)                         Donnie Tyndall (So. Mississippi)

Tennessee-Martin-  Jason James                      Heath Shroyer (asst. at UNLV; formerly coached Portland St. and Wyoming)

Tennessee State-    Travis Williams                      Dana Ford (Illinois St. asst)

Tulsa-   Danny Manning (to Wake Forest)                    Frank Haith (Missouri)

Virginia Tech -  James Johnson                                     Buzz Williams (Marquette)

Wake Forest-  Jeff Bzdelik                                        Danny Manning (Tulsa)

Washington St. -  Ken Bone                                            Ernie Kent (formerly at St. Mary's and Oregon)

Western Illinois- Jim Marlinari (to Nebraska as asst.)     Billy Wright (Ball St. asst)

6/18/2014 12:24 PM (edited)
Stick bowling green on the list. Louis Orr is fired.
3/11/2014 9:50 PM
Jeff Bzdelik of Wake Forest is a dead man walking.

Someone should hire Dugger Baucom of VMI. UNCW would be interesting.
3/11/2014 9:58 PM
Happy Trails Scoreless Corliss.

Pat Knight's a pretty ****** coach if I may say so myself lol.

3/11/2014 10:59 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Get ready to add Ken Bone - Washington St to that list.
3/12/2014 2:44 PM
Yup. Not exactly a plum assignment there. Leon Rice (Boise State) on line 1?
3/12/2014 2:59 PM
I wonder if Peterson and Jarvis get another chance.   Both have been successful before but it looks like they bombed this go round.
3/12/2014 3:05 PM
prolly wont happen, but Mike Brey should be on the list.
3/12/2014 3:06 PM
Heard Max Good out at LMU
3/12/2014 3:29 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/12/2014 2:38:00 PM (view original):
Boy the real world basketball chat on this board is epic. Must not be a lot of people that know much about the actual sport.
You're still here?
3/12/2014 4:11 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 3/11/2014 10:59:00 PM (view original):
Happy Trails Scoreless Corliss.

Pat Knight's a pretty ****** coach if I may say so myself lol.

As a Red Raider I agree completely. And it was not worth the deal with his dad just to get dad to coach in Lubbock. And former AD Gerald Myers is awful too (after his deals with the Knights and his role in the Leach affair, that is the nicest thing I van say about Myers)
3/12/2014 4:13 PM
Holding out hope that Alabama will fire Anthony Grant.  I'm pretty sure they're bringing him back for another season, though, after his impressive 13-18 regular season in his 5th year.

Part of the problem is he got a sweetheart extension after losing in the 1st round of the NCAAs a couple years ago, so I think his buyout is something stupid like $5M right now.  Still worth it imo.  You can't keep paying a guy $2M/year to put that crap on the floor.  They'll probably wait one more year and fire him for a $4M buyout.

::shaking my head::
3/12/2014 4:23 PM
That's the big question IMO. 

Bama under Wimp was a solid, not spectacular but solid program. Pretty good spot for a coach -- league isn't too tough, tops in the state by default, pretty good level of high school talent in state and nearby (the reason Gottfried didn't crash and burn despite being a rubbish coach). 
3/12/2014 10:46 PM
Auburn Tigers' Tony Barbee ...gone.

Friend of mine said Bruce Pearl has been discussed. Hopefully that's all the further it got.

3/13/2014 12:39 AM
1|2|3...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.