OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Mike Rhodes, VCU assistant, is the new coach at Rice
3/25/2014 7:40 PM
From CBSsports.com, about the Manhattan job:

Expect plenty of names to be thrown around as the next head coach of the Jaspers, from Robert Morris head coach Andy Toole to high-major assistants Darren Savino (Cincinnati), Rashon Burno (Florida) and Dan McHale (Minnesota). If current assistant Matt Grady doesn't follow Masiello to South Florida, he could be in play -- as could Kentucky assistant Orlando Antigua, although he could be aiming higher.
3/25/2014 7:43 PM
Hey allblack, that was an impressive (and dead on accurate) synopsis of Xavier coaches, the coaching tree, and the Wake Forest connection. Are you a fan of either team?
3/26/2014 1:40 AM
Posted by bobmeyer on 3/26/2014 1:40:00 AM (view original):
Hey allblack, that was an impressive (and dead on accurate) synopsis of Xavier coaches, the coaching tree, and the Wake Forest connection. Are you a fan of either team?
I'm a fan of 1) Kentucky and 2) Xavier.   When I saw Chris Mack on the Wake Forest list, I remembered that two previous Xavier coaches ended up there.  It piqued my curiosity about other Xavier coaches so I researched the topic.  It was easy, really.  I found a list of former Xavier coaches on wikipedia.
3/26/2014 4:12 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/25/2014 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Steve Masiello (Manhattan) is going to South Florida
ESPN is now reporting that USF rescinded their offer due to a 'discrepancy in his background check.'
3/26/2014 7:45 AM
Posted by acn24 on 3/26/2014 7:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 3/25/2014 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Steve Masiello (Manhattan) is going to South Florida
ESPN is now reporting that USF rescinded their offer due to a 'discrepancy in his background check.'
Apparently, Masiello lied about actually graduating from Kentucky in 2000
3/26/2014 12:44 PM
From the Seattle Times:
Potential candidates for the Washington State Cougars include: former Oregon coach 
Ernie Kent, Boise State coach Leon Rice, Montana coach Wayne Tinkle, and former Virginia Tech coach Seth Greenberg.

They also mentioned that Kevin Sampson is the frontrunner for the job at Houston. Also mentioned is Texas Southern coach Mike Davis, formerly of UAB and Indiana

3/26/2014 7:10 PM (edited)

The list of candidates is growing for the vacant Tennessee State men's basketball coaching position.

At this point it includes:

• Former Colorado and Northern Illinois coach Ricardo Patton, who served as an assistant at TSU (1991-93) and MTSU (1988-90) and is currently the coach at Memphis Central.

• Former Whites Creek and Belmont star Brian "Penny" Collins, who was an assistant at TSU (2007-09) at Cumberland (2009-12) and is now the coach at Columbia State Community College.

• Illinois State associate head coach Dana Ford, who was a TSU assistant (2009-11).

• Savannah State coach Horace Broadnax, who played on the 1984 Georgetown Hoyas national championship team.

• James Strong, a former Vanderbilt player (1997-2000), who spent five years on the staff at Furman and is currently a Belmont assistant.

• Drew Maddux, former Vanderbilt player (1995-98) who is now the coach at Christ Presbyterian Academy.

3/26/2014 7:16 PM
UNC Wilmington has named Kevin Keatts (Louisville asst.) as their new coach
3/27/2014 1:51 PM
I wonder what % of coaches (and real people) lie on their resume.
3/27/2014 2:01 PM

On Bobby Lutz:
his  potential landing spot is Appalachian State, per a report from Jim Utter and Joe Giglio at the News & Observer:

Lutz has been in discussions with Appalachian State about its vacancy the past several days, sources said. The school fired Jason Capel after four seasons and a 53-70 record.

3/27/2014 7:40 PM
According to ESPN, Shaka Smith has turned down the Marquette job
3/28/2014 10:31 AM
I think Archie Miller will jump... but only for the right job. His brother Sean left Xavier for Arizona. I don't see Archie making that big of a leap. But with at least an Elite 8 with Dayton this year, and the pedigree with his brother, I think Archie could land a top job. I don't think he would jump to Marquette, but Boston College, Wake and Washington State may all be attractive enough.
3/28/2014 5:27 PM
I think Archie Miller should wait. There's a good chance that Dayton will join the Big East, which would make his job equal to Marquette and certainly better than Washington State
3/29/2014 4:03 AM
There are a lot of rumors about a Big East expansion. Most believe that if they do, St. Louis would be one of the programs. That gives them another program at least a little closer to Creighton. But many believe Dayton will be on the outside looking in.

When the Catholic 7 formed the new Big East the ADs said they liked the idea of 9-10 teams so they could all play each other twice. Going to 12 teams they could still get away with that. 14 teams would force them to form two divisions. More teams also means a smaller cut of the TV contract with Fox Sports 1.

They also don't want to add programs that will dilute the strength of the conference. DePaul was much better this season and the Big East was the #3 RPI conference. So the addition of programs will be slow. Dayton would be a good "middle of the pack" program to add, but not anything more than that. Yes, they are in the Elite 8. But even this season they have never been one of the top programs in the A-10.

One final thought that may doom Dayton is that any program that is added would have to bring an attractive TV market with it. Dayton sells out their games and get great support in Dayton, but it is a tiny market, (as opposed to St. Louis).

Unless the big East decides to go with 14 teams, I just don't see Dayton having a shot.

3/29/2014 9:50 AM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.