OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

LOL that's ridiculous. They couldn't afford Howland, but Oregon State can? Dumb. Marquette didn't want the guy, bottom line. 

Damon Stoudamire's not very smart if he actually takes this job. Oregon State is one of if not the worst program in a major conference. Oregon in-state with all the Nike money and ability to attract transfers, Washington and Gonzaga up north, and half a dozen schools to fight against down south. He can do better. Heck most of these guys could probably wait it out and do better next year.

Dave Rice is a hilarious shout. No way he's leaving UNLV for that.
5/6/2014 7:36 PM

There's confusion over the coaching situation at Mississippi Valley St.   There have been reports that coach Chico Potts has been reassigned in the athletic department and that assistant coach Marcus Thomas has been named as interim.    But Potts is still listed as the coach on the MVSU website.

5/7/2014 10:50 AM
I can't see the name Chico without thinking of Chico's Bail Bonds.
5/7/2014 7:19 PM

by Connor Letourneau:

When discussing Oregon State's head coaching vacancy, men's basketball supporters often lean on the same name: Damon Stoudamire.

The Arizona assistant's popularity, though, extends far beyond his home state. Within the past 15 hours, the Arizona Daily Star posted two pieces that make a compelling case for Stoudamire.

The first story features quotes from Wildcats head coach Sean Miller, Stoudamire's boss this past season. Miller says he "would assume (OSU) would have strong interest" in Stoudamire, explaining that the former Wilson High School star boasts Oregon roots, an impressive NBA pedigree and a bright future.

"In my mind he's a home run hire for anybody but for somebody in that region," Miller told the Arizona Daily Star, "I can certainly see they'd be interested in him in a big way."

5/8/2014 6:22 PM
by John Rothstein:

Multiple sources have told CBSSports.com that Howland is the clear front runner for the vacancy in Corvallis and while he may have had initial reservations about taking over a rebuilding situation, the position with Oregon State does represent an opportunity to get back on the sidelines in a BCS conference at a school that's located on the West Coast. With the wide open landscape in the Pac-12 right now behind Arizona, the situation at Oregon State might not be as arduous for Howland compared to other people because he's already had experience rebuilding programs at both Northern Arizona and Pitt. This is the type of opportunity that Howland needs and wants. For Oregon State, this provides the school a chance to make the type of impact hire that would bring national attention to Corvallis. Think about this for a second. If the Beavers hire Howland, they will be the only program in the Pac-12 to have a coach that's taken a team to the Final Four. Kinda crazy, right?
5/9/2014 8:45 AM
Ben Howland has withdrawn from consideration as Oregon State's coach.

The school is looking hard at Damon Stoudamire and Minnesota Timberwolves asst. Terry Porter
5/13/2014 4:10 PM
New odds for Oregon St.
Damon Stoudamire  (Arizona asst.) 3 to 1
Eric Musselman (Ariz. State asst.)  7 to 1
Travis DeCuire (Cal asst. )              10 to 1
Wayne Tinkle (Montana)                  12 to 1
Terry Porter (Timberwolves asst.)  15 to 1
Steve McClain (indiana asst.)         18 to 1
Gary Close (Wisc. asst.)                  50 to 1
David Cruse (UCLA asst.)             500 to 1
5/14/2014 7:45 PM

Florida A&M University's beleaguered athletics department, struggling with a mounting debt, is now dealing with NCAA penalties.

The university was officially informed Wednesday that its football and men's basketball programs are being penalized for not meeting NCAA minimum standards for Academic Progress Rate (APR). Both programs are ineligible for post-season competition in 2014-2015.

The athletic department has a deficit of $1.4 million.  

That makes it more difficult to find a new basketball coach. I think it'd have to be a coach with no other options who desperately wants to be a DI coach. I wonder if Pat Knight is still available?

5/17/2014 10:36 AM
Oregon State has hired Montana's Wayne Tinkle
5/19/2014 2:56 PM
Jeff Goodman of ESPN rates some of the  coaching hires. Oregon State hired after the article was published. 

Grade A
 Virginia Tech, Ohio

A-
 Auburn, Loyola Marymount, 

B+
  Houston, So. Florida,, Rice, UNC Wilmington, N.D. State, Bowling Green, Maine, Tenn-Martin, Cent. Arkansas, Montana St., Appalachian, Tennessee St.

B
Tennessee, Marquette, Wake Forest, Cal, So. Miss, South Dakota, SE Louisiana, Jacksonville, Maryland-E.S., Delaware St., West. Illinois, 

B- 
Boston College, IUPUI

C+ 
 UC Riverside

C
 Coppin St.

C-
 Missouri, Tulsa, Washington St., , Florida Atlantic, Lamar, Kennesaw

D+
Marshall

5/19/2014 4:31 PM (edited)
Jeff Goodman says these coaches are on the hot seat for next season

Mark Turgeon, Maryland
Travis Ford, Oklhaoma St.
Oliver Purnell, DePaul
Steve Lavin, St. John's
Kevin Willard, Seton Hall
Matt Painter, Purdue
Tom Crean, Indiana
Lorenzo Romar, Washington St
Dana Altman, Oregon
Anthony Grant, Alabama
Billy Kennedy, Texas A&M
Brian Gregory, Georgia Tech
5/20/2014 8:44 PM (edited)
Hey al, do you mean Lorenzo Romar, WSU? I'm a little surprised at Tom Crean, Indiana. I love Anthony Grant but he and his staff just haven't shown they can recruit top D1 talent. In my opinion he belongs back in the mid-major level. I think Turgeon is gone. His team was a one trick pony last year. Purnell will always be going from somewhere. Oregon (The University of Nike at Eugene) should be able to buy somebody to make them successful! DePaul, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech are places where coaches go to die.
5/20/2014 3:06 PM
Yes, Lorenzo Romar.  I couldn't read my scribbling
5/20/2014 8:43 PM

from collegesportsinfo.com

Potential Montana Basketball Coach Candidates:
 Travis DeCuire (former Cal assistant), T .J. Otzelberger (Washington assistant), Steve McClain (Indiana assistant)

5/21/2014 11:02 AM
Just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed this thread. CB coaching changes don't often make it to the front page of major sports web sites; I would have missed a lot of news without this thread, particularly for the smaller conferences.
5/21/2014 11:29 AM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.