OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Posted by killbatman on 3/15/2014 6:58:00 PM (view original):
Fair enough, Pearl may be a worse guy than I'd like to think, but I do know he can coach and win.  I'd at least look into it if I was hiring a coach.

I'm hearing rumors than South Florida might be interested in hiring away Anthony Grant.  I'd be happy to send them a glowing endorsement of Grant if it would help move that forward.
I'd never support a team or program that hired Pearl. 
3/15/2014 9:41 PM
Posted by metsmax on 3/15/2014 9:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by terps21234 on 3/15/2014 9:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by metsmax on 3/15/2014 8:34:00 PM (view original):
why does Yow have a job after her performance at Maryland and her performance so far at NCSU?
Because she is a woman
unclear
Debbie Yow was AD at maryland and now at NC state. She is terrible and always fought with Gary Williams.
3/15/2014 11:27 PM
Oh sorry metsmax, that was you who said it at first. The only reasin she is still at NC state is because she is a woman, elsecshe would have been fired by now.
3/15/2014 11:29 PM
I think he was saying it's unclear she's a woman.
3/16/2014 12:45 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/15/2014 9:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 3/15/2014 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by killbatman on 3/15/2014 1:49:00 PM (view original):
Pearl would be a slamdunk hire for them.  I don't get the hate for him when he lied about a BBQ, yet Gottfried gets hired again after what he did.  I guess it's cool to be a scumbag if you don't break NCAA rules.  He would turn them into a winner almost immediately like he did at Tenn.

White and Tyndall are both names worth considering imo.  I thought both were likely to be considered if Bama fired Grant, partially because they'd be cheap while they were still paying Grant.  I'd probably take White if I couldn't get Pearl.  He seems like he'd bring some energy to the program if nothing else.
Pearl will win, and Pearl will probably cheat. He did it not just at Tennessee but prior to that as well. Is his show cause expired? (Aug 23rd...just checked...)

When I searched him to see about the show cause, I see an article where someone says he should go back to Tennessee... 

I really liked Pearl, and though I had no real skin in the game I felt pretty let down when he got busted. I just don't like people with no moral compunction not to lie and cheat to win...
Yeah, Pearl widely rumored to have cheated at Southern Indiana too. Don't think they were ever sanctioned though, probably because no one cares -- it's D-II.
Southern Indiana was put on probation after Pearl left, but it was violations by his successor.  A booster did homework for players and they provided airfare for another player.  Like Pearl, coach Rick Herdes lied to the NCAA.   Herdes would take anybody and thrived on D1 transfers. At one time, the average age of the players on his team was 23
3/16/2014 5:18 AM
I was being intentionally ambiguous with my "unclear" - could mean many things.

As a maryland fan, I think Yow did did an awful job.  She created the situation in which some at Maryland felt compelled to go to the big ten for more football money.

Every maryland game begins with the students chanting "hey yow sucks"
3/16/2014 5:50 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/16/2014 5:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 3/15/2014 9:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 3/15/2014 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by killbatman on 3/15/2014 1:49:00 PM (view original):
Pearl would be a slamdunk hire for them.  I don't get the hate for him when he lied about a BBQ, yet Gottfried gets hired again after what he did.  I guess it's cool to be a scumbag if you don't break NCAA rules.  He would turn them into a winner almost immediately like he did at Tenn.

White and Tyndall are both names worth considering imo.  I thought both were likely to be considered if Bama fired Grant, partially because they'd be cheap while they were still paying Grant.  I'd probably take White if I couldn't get Pearl.  He seems like he'd bring some energy to the program if nothing else.
Pearl will win, and Pearl will probably cheat. He did it not just at Tennessee but prior to that as well. Is his show cause expired? (Aug 23rd...just checked...)

When I searched him to see about the show cause, I see an article where someone says he should go back to Tennessee... 

I really liked Pearl, and though I had no real skin in the game I felt pretty let down when he got busted. I just don't like people with no moral compunction not to lie and cheat to win...
Yeah, Pearl widely rumored to have cheated at Southern Indiana too. Don't think they were ever sanctioned though, probably because no one cares -- it's D-II.
Southern Indiana was put on probation after Pearl left, but it was violations by his successor.  A booster did homework for players and they provided airfare for another player.  Like Pearl, coach Rick Herdes lied to the NCAA.   Herdes would take anybody and thrived on D1 transfers. At one time, the average age of the players on his team was 23
Pearl likely cheated too. He did the same thing at UW-Milwaukee that he got in trouble for at Tennessee.

Basically, he's cheated everywhere he's ever been. If I'm an AD, I don't want to lose sleep wondering if Pearl is going to get us sanctions, especially if I'm Auburn, which I'm sure the NCAA would love to nail after they got caught with their pants down re: Scam Newton.
3/16/2014 12:53 PM
LOL this guy knows a lot about basketball. Actual quote from a friend on Facebook that was funny enough to share.
"Coach K can't even beat Virginia anymore? Maybe it's time to turn the program over to someone else."

Why he isn't an AD somewhere I don't know.
3/16/2014 5:19 PM
I've checked my sources. So far so good. Pearl hasn't committed any violations on his current job as a TV analyst. He shouldn't have gotten that job. But TV has never been afraid to hire the most current crooked athlete or coach to go on their broadcasting team.
3/16/2014 7:33 PM
Posted by coachcali on 3/16/2014 7:33:00 PM (view original):
I've checked my sources. So far so good. Pearl hasn't committed any violations on his current job as a TV analyst. He shouldn't have gotten that job. But TV has never been afraid to hire the most current crooked athlete or coach to go on their broadcasting team.
If he'd have had to recruit his own production assistants I bet he would have...
3/16/2014 7:38 PM
dacj, yea but in the TV industry cheating is seen as taking the initiative.
3/16/2014 8:17 PM
Virginia Tech has fired James Johnson
3/17/2014 1:41 PM
Somewhere Seth Greenberg is laughing his *** off.
3/17/2014 4:42 PM
Jim Yarbrough is out at SE Louisiana. That's 20 thus far.  In each of the past 2 seasons, it was around 50.  Some of them, however, were coaches who left one school for another
3/17/2014 6:49 PM
Heard rumors that Auburn has offered Pearl 2.5M and he's considering it.  As a Bama fan, it's appealing to laugh at them for hiring a scumbag..but then I think about how his teams would beat Grant's like a drum and it sounds less appealing.
3/17/2014 7:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...20 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.