NL MVP: Matt Carpenter
AL CY: Yu Darvish
NL CY: Clayton Kershaw
AL MOY: Ned Yost
NL MOY: Matt Williams
AL ROY:Jake Odirizzi
NL ROY: Archie Bradley

3/13/2014 1:36 PM
Seriously, you have Adam Jones as MVP?  How much of a homer can you be?
3/13/2014 6:46 PM
AL East

Red Sox
Rays*
Orioles
Yankees
Blue Jays

AL Central

Tigers
Royals
Indians
White Sox
Twins

AL West

Angels
A's*
Rangers
Mariners
Astros

NL East

Nationals
Braves
Phillies
Marlins
Mets

NL Central

Cardinals
Reds*
Brewers
Pirates
Cubs

NL West

Dodgers
Giants*
Diamondbacks
Padres
Rockies

Playoffs I won't predict this early because they depend too much on who's hot at the end of the season.  At least give me 'til the trade deadline.  If I had to hazard a guess, Tigers over the Giants in the WS 4-2.  Giants came in 4-3 over the Cards, Tigers over the Sox 4-2.

AL MVP: Same as last year, with pressure from Trout again and Prince Fielder
NL MVP: Giancarlo Stanton
AL CY: Same as last year; boring year for the AL with Scherzer and Miggy repeating
NL CY: Cliff Lee

3/13/2014 7:00 PM
AL East

Rays
Red Sox*
Yankees
Blue Jays
Orioles

AL Central
Tigers
Indians
Royals
Twins
White Sox

AL West
Rangers
A's*
Angels
Mariners
Astros

NL East
Nationals
Braves*
Mets
Phillies
Marlins

NL Central
Cardinals
Reds*
Pirates
Brewers
Cubs

NL West
Dodgers
Padres
Giants
Diamondbacks
Rockies

AL MVP: Trout
NL MVP: Heyward
AL CY: Hernandez
NL CY: Strasburg 

3/13/2014 7:26 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/13/2014 6:46:00 PM (view original):
So because I'm an O's fan, I can't pick anything O's related? If I was a homer I would have picked them to win the division...and the WS.

Or I would have gone with "cooler" choices like Davis or Machado.

But since we're ripping picks - good job picking the only team in the AL East that actually got worse this offseason to win the division.
3/13/2014 11:26 PM
I think he meant that only a homer would envision Jones as the best player in the AL this season. He makes outs like it's his job and if the power slips at all he's suddenly a very average player.
3/13/2014 11:56 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/13/2014 11:28:00 PM (view original):
So because I'm an O's fan, I can't pick anything O's related? If I was a homer I would have picked them to win the division...and the WS.

But since we're ripping picks - good job picking the only team in the AL East that actually got worse this offseason to win the division.
I think he's saying it because you have the O's finishing 1st and Jones MVP.

Jones isn't even a top 10 in the AL.
3/14/2014 1:39 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones in the top 5 in MVP voting.  I'm kind of feeling a breakout season for him this year.  Don't know why, but I was feeling one for Davis last year, and that happened to happen.  This time last spring O's fans everywhere were still drooling over Jones and how he was an MVP-caliber bat.  And I was saying, if we have an MVP-caliber bat this year, it's going to be Davis.  He has the plate discipline to be great.  Jones has the talent to be great, but because of his approach will only ever be very good.  A breakout season for Jones is maybe what, .330-.335 with 35-40 homers?  And a .350 OBP.  And lazy defense.  20 years ago, that might have been a legitimate MVP candidate.  Voters today are a little too smart for that.

He's getting worse, too, in terms of his approach.  Consistently worse.  Last year he set career highs not only in swing rate, but also in swing rate on balls outside the strike zone.  According to Baseball Info Solutions, Jones swung at 59% of pitches last season.  Only 42% of the pitches thrown to him were in the strike zone.  His swing rate on pitches out of the zone was 44.9%.  Davis, by contrast, swung at 35.7% of pitches out of the zone.  Miggy swung at 34%.  Mike Trout swung at an incredible 24.2% of balls thrown outside the strike zone.  I don't think you need to look much further than that to see why Jones has a much harder time being a legitimate MVP candidate than the other 3 guys on that list.  It's hard to get hits on balls outside the zone; it's easy to make outs on them.  Jones is doing the pitchers a massive favor on an everyday basis by consistently swinging at their pitches.  And it's not just one kind of pitch he's a sucker for.  Breaking balls low and away.  Fastballs up.  Fastballs down.  Anything in under the hands.  He'll swing at all of it.  Hard to overcome that and be elite.  His monstrous talent lets him be very good.  But that's his ceiling.
3/14/2014 8:23 PM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 3/14/2014 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/13/2014 11:28:00 PM (view original):

I think he's saying it because you have the O's finishing 1st and Jones MVP.

Jones isn't even a top 10 in the AL.
I don't have the O's first
3/14/2014 8:40 PM
I meant to point that out for you.  You have them in the playoffs.  Not winning.

AL East was, at least for me, by far the hardest division to project.  Every other division has at least one pretty bad team you can almost put in pen for at best a losing record, at worst an ugly one.  And most have a team you feel is more likely than not to make the postseason, at least.  In the AL East I can see any team finishing in any spot, with the lone exception being that I have a hard time seeing the Rays finishing worse than 3rd.  That said, although I put them in a wildcard spot in my projected standings, I would actually give them a lower chance of making the postseason, certainly of winning the division, than Boston, NY, or Baltimore.  They feel more consistent, easier to trust.  But they don't have a huge, brilliant upside the way the other clubs in the division seem to.

Baltimore - if Gausman comes up at some point and pitches like he's capable of, Tillman pitches well, Ubaldo throws strikes, they could be a great team.  OTOH, if Chris Davis keeps hitting like he hit for the last month and a half of the season, Machado takes a while to get comfortable again, and Ubaldo blows up, they could easily end up below .500.

NY - If Pineda stays healthy, Jeter bounces back a bit, and their other old guys (Beltran, Soriano) keep on rolling, they could be a World Series contender again.  They have seemed about a year away from collapse for 2 or 3 seasons now, and it could happen this year.  I honestly don't know what to expect from any of their starting pitchers, and if a couple of those old guys break down...

Last year, most people had Toronto winning the division and the Red Sox coming in last.  The opposite happened, and now most people seem to have each repeating.  I highly doubt that both of those things happen, if either.  Both of these teams have similar personnel to last year.  So who knows.
3/14/2014 9:26 PM
Tanaka will get AL ROY. How's that for a prediction?!
3/14/2014 11:25 PM
Adam Jones already has 3800+ ML plate appearances, it seems like we should know who he is by now. I'd be very surprised if he broke out like Chris Davis did last year. Davis "only" had 1700 or so PA spread out over a handful of years prior to last year.
3/17/2014 5:34 PM
I suppose a .280 hitter with 30 homers who never walks and strikes out a lot could be a MVP.   I can't imagine how bad everyone else would have to be offensively for that to happen but I guess it could.   Otherwise, there's no reason to believe he's figured something out.    He hasn't had a spike in walks or drastic decrease in whiffs.   And that's what has to happen for him to be something else. 
3/18/2014 9:43 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/18/2014 9:43:00 AM (view original):
I suppose a .280 hitter with 30 homers who never walks and strikes out a lot could be a MVP.   I can't imagine how bad everyone else would have to be offensively for that to happen but I guess it could.   Otherwise, there's no reason to believe he's figured something out.    He hasn't had a spike in walks or drastic decrease in whiffs.   And that's what has to happen for him to be something else. 
Agreed.
3/18/2014 11:55 AM
AL
Red Sox

Tigers
Royals

Rangers
Angels

Cy Young:  Verlander
MVP:  Fielder
ROY:  Yordano Ventura

Royals Over Angels

Rangers Over Royals
TIgers Over Red Sox

Rangers Over Tigers

NL
Nationals

Reds
Pirates

Dodgers
D'Backs

Cy Young:  Kershaw
MVP:  Votto
ROY: Archie Bradley

Pirates Over D'Backs

Dodgers Over Pirates
Nationals Over Reds

Dodgers Over Nationals

Rangers Over Dodgers
3/18/2014 1:41 PM
1234 Next ▸
2014 Predictions Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.