2016 Presidential Race Topic

Watching an interview on the cbs with Paul Ryan. This is the guy who doesn't come across as the "stereotypical moron conservative" who could win an election. Who disagrees?
9/29/2014 8:10 AM
eddie munster has better ideas
9/29/2014 9:04 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 9/29/2014 8:10:00 AM (view original):
Watching an interview on the cbs with Paul Ryan. This is the guy who doesn't come across as the "stereotypical moron conservative" who could win an election. Who disagrees?
He comes across great on TV, which is probably all that matters in an election but his policy preferences are questionable at best. The budget he put forward in 2013 showed a complete lack economic sense.
9/29/2014 12:14 PM
I talked about Ryan on the front page. I give him credit for trying to actually do something, by introducing bills and then explaining his plan on what they would do. Too often pols go to Washington solely to blither on about how everything sucks, while not trying to come up with solutions.

However, his "Ryan Plan" ended up being highly polarizing, and Dems across the country were pummeling any Repub that was for it.

I think his lack of pizzazz is an issue. He happily accepts being known as a policy wonk, which is fine, but I don't think that would translate into votes in a Republican Primary in which there will potentially be plenty of decent candidates. In the end, I don't think he runs.
9/29/2014 1:14 PM
I like Jon Huntsman. He's a well-spoken Republican with a conservative record. He didn't quite have the chops nationally to get momentum in the 2012 Republican Primary. He's punting any future candidacy.

“I can’t describe a pathway through the early primary states up to Super Tuesday, and if you can’t find that pathway or describe what that pathway is, then you had [better] not be in the race,” Huntsman said in an exclusive interview for POLITICO’s “Lessons from Leaders” series.

Huntsman also dismissed any future run for state office.

“I’ve been governor, elected twice as governor, but when you get elected with about 80 percent of the vote, if you try to do that over again, you’re never going to be as good as the first time around. I think its fool-hearted to try,” he said.
10/10/2014 1:14 AM
What's his conservative record?
10/10/2014 7:39 PM
I don't recall what the posts were that I had purged, but I know they didn't adhere to the first post on page 1.

As for Huntsman, he enacted large tax cuts, put further restrictions on abortion, and expanded gun rights.
10/20/2014 2:12 AM
No 2016 White House hopefuls lost their race on Tuesday.

Ben Carson has a documentary airing in a 22 states to introduce himself to the electorate, and he has left Fox News as a contributor, unofficially making him the first candidate into the Republican Presidential race. Like I said before, I think the odds of him capturing the nomination are nil. Only 5 people have become President without being elected to anything. Three were high ranking military leaders and the other two served in cabinet positions. Granted, with only 43 people having been POTUS everyone will end up being the first "______" to have become President.

I just think doctor to pundit to President is extremely steep mountain. He has nothing to lose at this point, he's kind of in a Herman Cain mold where just getting involved in a few debates will increase his brand, and allow him to make more money on books, paid pundit, radio host etc.
11/8/2014 6:50 PM
Rick Santorum kinda sorta announced he is running. 

“America loves an underdog. We’re definitely the underdog in this race,” he said. But Santorum reportedly argued he’s in a better place to execute a better campaign than his 2012 effort. “I get the game,” he said.

As the 2012 campaign wore on, he attempted to branch out further beyond the strong social conservative stances and worked toward a more "blue collar" appeal, albeit by using his grandfather's history to trump himself up. The people that voted for him in 2012 would likely go for a more dynamic candidate such as Ted Cruz or Mike Huckabee, among others. There's no path to victory for him.
12/10/2014 11:02 PM
In a television interview aired on the eve of the South Carolina appearance, Jeb Bush expressed confidence that he “would be a good president,” adding that he was in the process of writing an e-b.... Stop right there.

You would not make a good president.  Your father was a sh*tty president.  Your brother was a sh*tty president.  You would be a sh*tty president too.

All we need is to have Dumbass III to take over.

12/15/2014 1:23 PM
He would be an extremely strong candidate. The donors will be there, the endorsements will be there, and mainstream Repubs will vote for him. The Bush family has done well getting hispanic support, and him having a Mexican wife and kids (obviously) is a plus in which Repubs are bleeding hispanic support with hardline immigration verbage.

I would say if he were to jump in, at this point, I think it would be a toss-up between Bush and Christie (assuming he enters the race) on who gets the nomination. Probably a slight edge for Chris Christie.
12/15/2014 7:11 PM
Bush and Christie along with Huntsman are exactly the type of RHINO the Dems and the mainstream media want to throw up against Hillary.  I smell Carl Rove.  Again.

Let's see who throws their hat in the ring and then let's see some debates.  If people like Jimmy Carter and Barak Obama can come out of nowhere to win their parties nomination,  it can also happen across the aisle.  The budget just passed has the conservatives buzzing.  Let's see what happens when a Santorum or Carson goes up against a RHINO.  We're done with Rove and the Bushes.
12/15/2014 7:27 PM
1/6/2015 4:48 PM
Word is that Romney is considering running again. I can see him winning if he runs.

"Yea, I'm the guy you should have voted for in the first place" could go a long way.
1/9/2015 4:56 PM
A friend from Indiana I saw over the holidays told me "Mike Pence." That he'll be the name who comes out of nowhere.

Thoughts? I had to look up who he was.

1/9/2015 5:01 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...575 Next ▸
2016 Presidential Race Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.