Mostly Righty Franchise League (lg has started) Topic

Mostly Righty & 1920-2013 Franchise League with 4 twists - $125 Million Cap

$125 Million cap
No: AAA, WW, Clones, Trades. Yes:  DH. This is a 16 team league with one instance of each franchise that existed during the whole time frame of 1920 through 2013 (expansion franchises from 1961 onward are sitting this one out). All pitchers (one exception noted below) and hitters must be from the seasons 1920-2013. There are 4 twists available. As long as the year you use is within the 1920-2013 range the twist can come from outside of it. For example: Baby Doll Jacobson can be twisted onto the Tigers even though he only played on the Tigers prior to 1920. You just need to use a season of his that was 1920 or later. All hitters (one exception noted below) and pitchers must be righties.

Now for the exceptions: There is 1 hitter exception to the “righty” part and 1 pitcher exception to the “1920-2013” part.  You can have 1 hitter that is lefty or switch but they need to be under $11 million and they still need to be within 1920-2013. You can have 1 pitcher that can be from earlier than 1920 but they need to be under $14 million and they still need to be a righty (not sure why you’d want to have a lefty P any way since virtually all hitters will be righties).  Only the 2 “exception” players have individual $ caps.

You can use one or two of your twists on the “exception” players if you’d like, though you don’t have to. 

Players can be twisted to any franchise they played for as listed in baseball reference. That broadens it a little from franchises just listed in WIS for players.

First come, first serve on signing up here for franchises. Must use a stadium used by your franchise during the 1920-2013 time frame.

I’ll set up the league and send out the league number once there are 7 teams signed up.

You can have 2 teams, but one must be NL and one AL.

Make sure you review Baseball reference for franchise history: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/

The 4 twists and relatively lower cap gives a lot franchises that normally aren't considered to be "elite" a great opportunity to be competitive.  The mostly righty also changes the playing field quite a bit as welll.  The Browns/Orioles, Indians. and Cubs should all be very strong.  The Browns/Orioles have some excellent RH twist options (Sosa/Hornsby/Bautista/Belle) and a deadball pitcher twist (Dave Davenport) who is solid.  Add in that they already have Ripken/Frank Robinson/Brooks Robinson/Baby Doll Jacobson.

Sens/Twins are also an interesting one.  You can have Walter Johnson as the pre-1920 pitcher and can twist Al Simmons onto the team.  Then they have Cronin/Killebrew/Oliva/Puckett.  Tris Speaker or George Sisler can be twisted on as the one Lefty batter or you can choose from Carew or Mauer.

Pirates have Clemente/Kiner/Cuyler/Traynor/McCutchen.  Some twist options are Joe Cronin/Greenberg/Freddy Lindstrom/Bautista.  For the lefthanded option you have Paul Waner/Arky Vaughn or can use a twist on Chuck Klein.

The White Sox have several elite deadball pitchers (Walsh/Cicotte/Smith) to choose from.  On the batting front they have Appling/Frank Thomas/Albert Belle/Dick Allen, with twist options of Al Simmons/George Kell/Fisk/Sosa/Vern Stephens.  For the one lefty slot they have guys like Eddie Collins/Joe Jackson and twists of Norm Cash/Kenny Lofton to pick from.

Surprisingly, the Pirates are the final remaining team.  They have a lot of excellent RH batters plus several excellent twist options.  If someone would prefer the Phillies over the Pirates I would have no problem trading.  Right now the Phils are my NL team.

The league/division breakdown will be:

NL East
1. Pirates-urband
2. Reds-specsman
3. Braves-DarthDurron
4. Phillies-ghsisler

NL West
1. Cardinals-shysters3
2. Cubs-Yaz2Schill
3. Dodgers-dodgebob
4. Giants-fatboydad54

AL East
1. Yankees-urband
2. Red Sox-Yaz2Schill
3. Browns/Orioles-DEMarauder
4. Indians-moneybonn

AL West
1. White Sox-DarthDurron
2. Tigers-ghsisler
3. Senators/Twins-good_beef
4. A’s-Jay_Sensei

5/22/2014 2:15 PM (edited)
I'll go with the Phillies.
4/3/2014 6:22 AM
I will take the Giants.
4/3/2014 10:35 PM
I'd like to try the Red Sox please!
4/5/2014 4:20 PM
'll try the Cardinals
4/5/2014 5:50 PM
I'll go with the Tigers as my 2nd team.
4/8/2014 9:11 AM
Cool!  I'll jump in with the A's! 
4/15/2014 2:44 PM
This one pitcher from earlier than 1920, can they be twisted as well?
4/22/2014 1:25 AM
Posted by Jay_Sensei on 4/22/2014 1:25:00 AM (view original):
This one pitcher from earlier than 1920, can they be twisted as well?
Yes, you can twist your pre-1920 pitcher.
4/22/2014 6:20 AM
Indians please
4/26/2014 1:30 PM
I'll take the Cubs as a second team.
4/27/2014 12:39 PM
Posted by Yaz2Schill on 4/27/2014 12:39:00 PM (view original):
I'll take the Cubs as a second team.
The Cubs are yours Yaz2Schill.
4/27/2014 2:18 PM
Dodgers, please.
5/2/2014 6:14 PM
The Dodgers are yours dodgebob.  Welcome!
5/2/2014 6:31 PM
I'll try the Braves.
5/3/2014 8:56 PM
12 Next ▸
Mostly Righty Franchise League (lg has started) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.