NFL Draft League #2: Commentary Thread Topic

Posted by gencoimports on 4/10/2014 8:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tarheel1991 on 4/9/2014 11:47:00 PM (view original):
OK - gencos team is terrifying. Every pick he's made so far was a huge value at the spot he got him. Right now his team is pretty similar to mine last year...except he has Aaron Rodgers instead of Philip Rivers. Yikes.
I was stunned the Dallas Texans OL was still there.
I thought about taking them, and maybe should have, but wanted an OL with huge pass/sack ratings to give Manning a chance to really shine.
4/10/2014 11:42 AM
I am very disappointed in the rest of the league.  We need more banter! Maybe I need to trash more folks' teams.

Teams I like a lot:

gencoimports: Aaron Rodgers, Eagles D, Texans OL.  As I said before, this team terrifies me. Got a pretty good guess what his plan is moving forward, too. Whether he uses the '54 Eagles or a cheaper D, this squad is setting up like a title contender

(tomhanrahan):  Chargers D, Steve Young, Mercury Morris, Joe Perry    Wow, I love the way this team looks. Good D at a very good price, Young is a great QB, and got Morris and Perry to pound away.  OL won't be great but still some pretty good running OL out there.

coolmay_one:  Eric Dickerson, Titans O-line, Daunte Culpepper, Charley Hennigan    Defense is still a question mark, but offense looks pretty good.

Some teams I don't like:

pg99:  Warren Moon, Seahawks D, Lawrence McCutcheon  
yikes. This team looks like a disaster to me. Seahawks D is fine, but Moon and McCutcheon could probably go undrafted in this league and not draw a comment. Plenty of time to turn things around, though.

tonyvoss:  Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch, Calvin Johnson, Ben Roethlisberger, Wes Chandler  
hey, who can criticize the defending champ?  Obviously this passing attack is going to be tough to stop. But what's the point of taking three receivers so early? Each one is awesome but could be largely replaced by a platoon. After two studs, Chandler is just overkill.  And now you have to wait 46 long picks to take an offensive line and a defense (if you even do it then).  This might work great in an open league, where no one can afford to spend on D, but there will be plenty of solid pass defenses in this league that can load up against the pass and at least slow you down.  Will you be able to get a defense that can slow anyone down? At least your games should be fun!

specsman:  Steelers D,  Randall Cunningham, Marshall Faulk, Giants O-line    Steelers D, good pick.  But the rest is pretty blah.  Cunningham just can't pass well enough to stand up to the defenses in this league, I think.  And Giants O-line is a real head scratcher to me; your strength on offense looks to be running the ball, but their best lines don't have great run ratings (and aren't that great overall either). Not really feeling it.

4/10/2014 10:23 PM

I like tonyvoss's team.....with the better def in this league his receivers ability to get YAC is going to be critical.

As for genco..........he can do nothing wrong after the 1st three picks. A dominate defense dominate Oline and a top 3 QB to command everything. He will get the best value at every spot going forward...starting with RB Crow. Add a platoon receiving corp and let his Def carry him.

4/11/2014 12:46 AM
As for my team it will live or die with my first pick.
4/11/2014 1:05 AM
I am liking the football draft league drafts so far. Kinda stayed clear of it but the draft has gotten me back into it. After the first season my team is looking alot different. First season tried going for offense with, Marino, Walter Payton, and good recieving and a great tight end. Season started out great then went on a losing streak and got lucky to make a wild card. So far my team is looking much different. This year i planned on taking a defense early but with many defenses being chosen and adrian peterson there at 21 i thought he had great value. 2nd pick I took ravens D but was pretty expensive. 3rd round took Chargers Oline because of the 98 run rating that Peterson could shine in. Bruce was the best reciever I could take in the 4th. I have a plan for my next 2 picks (Dont want to give away in case someone snakes them) but kinda limited to what i can take with the 75mil salary. All im worried about now is if i will have enough reciever stamina with my last 3 picks with a focused run attack offense. Already pre chose my QB and TE and 2nd reciever with special teams, kicker, punter and minimum salady players to make sure i could make salary. Anyways it will be a good learning experience for this sim if anything.
4/11/2014 2:27 AM
All my picks are ahead of the first years draft though so far. Peterson (13) 21, Ravens D (22) 28, Charger O-Line (33) 69,and Bruce (62) 76.
4/11/2014 2:43 AM
I agree with Heel's analysis of Tony's team. It'll be almost impossible to get his money's worth out of those 3 wrs. He could take Calvin then someone like Billy Howton, Lance Allworth or Carolina's Steve Smith to go with him and he'd probably get more bang for his buck that way.

I'd like specman's team a lot better if he had a different qb than Randall. He has a lot of options with the Steelers D and Faulk is an excellent player. In my original intineration of my Graham team, I was planning on taking the 56 Giants O Line (58 Run 86 Pass 100 Sack) with either my 3rd or 4th pick. But the Packers Line fell to me in the middle of the 2nd round and I couldn't resist.
4/11/2014 1:53 PM
I dunno, guys. Roeth can complete over 300 passes in a season. Tony's first 3 WRs don't add up to over 300 receptions. I don't see the overkill.
4/11/2014 9:59 PM
What I am interested in seeing is mark's team that has a guy (Brees) who can throw 40x a game, and two runners who can each carry 20 to 25 times a game. That seems redundant. At least they won't get worn out!
4/11/2014 10:03 PM
Moon, Landry, Romo, O'brien, Jurgensen, and Alex Smith - 6 newbies(with 2 picks still to be made)

Add Vick and Staubach
4/12/2014 12:23 PM (edited)
Posted by tomhanrahan on 4/11/2014 9:59:00 PM (view original):
I dunno, guys. Roeth can complete over 300 passes in a season. Tony's first 3 WRs don't add up to over 300 receptions. I don't see the overkill.
Actually they do add up to about 300 when you account for Crazy Legs and Chandlers numbers over a 16 game season. plus you know there are going to be other receivers on his team, starting with RB Larry Johnson. it is a bit overkill to draft those 3 guys unless you are going to put them with a QB with 90 plus stamina and/or not draft any other receivers with significant stamina.

All 3 of them are going to avg at least 6-7 catches - game if they are the no. 1. it's unlikely they will do the same together with Big Ben, unless tony tries pair him with a high pass stamina backup QB, but I don't see that happening.
4/12/2014 10:45 AM
I should've taken the Rams Defense instead of the Falcons.  Looking at it now, I painted myself into a corner because I have to use the 1977 version at roughly $35 mill.  That doesn't leave a lot of room for me to maneuver the rest of my roster.  I know that the Rams have quite a few defenses in the $30-$35 mill range that I could've chosen from and had left some maneuverability for myself.
4/12/2014 1:56 PM
Now This is what am talking about. My critics said the same thing last season. This is going to be FUN INDEED!!!!!. Buckle up people
And only time will tell and enjoy the ride YEAH BABBIE. CAN YOU SAY REPEAT
4/12/2014 4:00 PM
Last year I had no name WR's , really not a strong RB, not even a top ten O-Line or Defense. And this draft I asked to draft last.
And you guys put in my lap three great WR's and WES CHANDLER is not overkill. I bet after this season some of you
Will be talking a different tune. HELLO CAN YOU SAY TWO PEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4/12/2014 4:06 PM
looks like to me that isacqbs58 is going to roll with the 42 Bears D
4/12/2014 8:57 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
NFL Draft League #2: Commentary Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.