ODL XLVII Evaluations and Commentary - DO IT Topic

"those puny ants outnumber us (grasshoppers) 100-1... it's not about food, it's about keeping those ants in line... and if they ever figure that out, there goes our way of life!"
4/13/2014 12:14 AM
Posted by scudmissle on 4/13/2014 12:15:00 AM (view original):
"those puny ants outnumber us (grasshoppers) 100-1... it's not about food, it's about keeping those ants in line... and if they ever figure that out, there goes our way of life!"
10/10 would quote again.
4/13/2014 12:33 AM
"Well Laddie, you know the story of the ant and the grasshopper? Well the one ye step on and the other ye canno' catch."
4/13/2014 7:37 AM
Updated with all of the round two picks and some early analysis. Might have all of round three updated and posted (i.e. caught up) by some time tomorrow night.
4/13/2014 4:15 PM (edited)
I have the most written for my team so far.  That makes me special.
4/14/2014 12:03 AM
Posted by postage on 4/14/2014 12:03:00 AM (view original):
I have the most written for my team so far.  That makes me special.
4/14/2014 3:42 PM
Shaq - best combination of high usage, high efg% and low tov% in the sim.  I was very happy with him at 10.

I made the trade with red for two reasons:  a) I wasn't going to get the guy I really wanted in round 2 (he actually had already been drafted) and nobody else I wanted was worth that high of a pick... b) I wanted to finish my draft before I leave for vacation Wednesday night (technically thursday morning).  Time will tell if the trade works out, but so far, so good.

Derek Harper - good defense, acceptable ast% & efg%, super low tov% at a nice price.  This was high for him (and there was definitely a better PG available - one of my sim favorites, actually), but I wanted to go really low tov% with this squad, so Harper is the next best thing this side of cp3 in this regard.

Vinsanity - again, trying a tov% based team and needed high usage here... but wanted to make sure said usage was lower than Shaq or else would have went a different direction.  Don't care for his efg%, but at least it's 50 & he does hit a good number of threes at his usage, so there's that.  Nice offensive rebounding for a guard, too.  And he has 80 defense (what?!)

I have three guys with 80 defense so far (What?!)
4/14/2014 4:25 PM
Posted by ashamael on 4/14/2014 4:25:00 PM (view original):
Shaq - best combination of high usage, high efg% and low tov% in the sim.  I was very happy with him at 10.

I made the trade with red for two reasons:  a) I wasn't going to get the guy I really wanted in round 2 (he actually had already been drafted) and nobody else I wanted was worth that high of a pick... b) I wanted to finish my draft before I leave for vacation Wednesday night (technically thursday morning).  Time will tell if the trade works out, but so far, so good.

Derek Harper - good defense, acceptable ast% & efg%, super low tov% at a nice price.  This was high for him (and there was definitely a better PG available - one of my sim favorites, actually), but I wanted to go really low tov% with this squad, so Harper is the next best thing this side of cp3 in this regard.

Vinsanity - again, trying a tov% based team and needed high usage here... but wanted to make sure said usage was lower than Shaq or else would have went a different direction.  Don't care for his efg%, but at least it's 50 & he does hit a good number of threes at his usage, so there's that.  Nice offensive rebounding for a guard, too.  And he has 80 defense (what?!)

Vince Carter's defense should read: 08..not 80.

..or maybe that's just Effort: 08.

4/14/2014 4:30 PM
Posted by ashamael on 4/14/2014 4:25:00 PM (view original):

Shaq doesn't give you a ton of minutes, however - less than 40 minutes. Still a high amount of fouls with a woeful ft%. He does give you some assists, though.
4/14/2014 5:20 PM
'missed a bunch of FTAs' is so low on the list of reasons why you lose a game in the sim though - well below any number of aberrant behaviors even

IN fact I'd estimate that 'some random **** happened' is 10 times more likely to be the cause of a sim loss than 'Shaq missed those free throws'
4/14/2014 5:46 PM (edited)
shaq plays 39 mpg...thats a lot for a starter
4/14/2014 5:39 PM
Yeah the season I intend to use will squeeze out 39.4 mpg at 100% fatigue.  low(est) foul season, too!
4/14/2014 5:49 PM
Ash, I was so astonished you didn't take the unnamed player I almost took him, but figured it was more important to get the 100 defender in the front court while I could.

I don't mind taking Love, but he forces you to adapt a little bit, and playing Bobby Jones at SF is a pretty big adapt to the circumstance pick. (Thought for sure I could get Nance in the 3rd, but I was wrong.)
4/14/2014 6:01 PM

"you may be looking to add some range with one of your next picks"

You got that right.

4/14/2014 6:04 PM
Posted by dh555 on 4/14/2014 5:39:00 PM (view original):
shaq plays 39 mpg...thats a lot for a starter
I wouldn't say "a lot"...that about the minimum I look for in a starter (aka Kobe). However, to each his own, I tend to lok for three big starters and then team players...it can be done a lot of ways.
4/14/2014 6:16 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...9 Next ▸
ODL XLVII Evaluations and Commentary - DO IT Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.