Development Blog Update - See Above Topic

I know it's been a long time, but I have an update to pass along.  There are some non-HD tasks on my plate for the next few months, but the good news is that there is some time for HD as well. 

The plan is to tackle a major update to recruiting.  We're still in the early stages of designing and planning that update.  When I have more details on that, I'll pass them along.  In the mean time, I'll be working on some smaller HD updates while also working on some non-HD WIS tasks.  I've been reviewing the backlog of suggestions and feedback from the past few years as well as my own list. 

The first thing I've been working on is archiving player stats by season.  This will allow you to see season-by-season stats data for past players.  The bad news is that I'm just starting to save that data, so we aren't able to recover all the past seasons data that was not saved.  My plan is to validate that the saving process is working behind the scenes before exposing that data to you guys.  Shouldn't be too long though.

I'm also working on a similar thing for player ratings.  I'm going to start saving a ratings snapshot at the end of every season and the beginning of every season.  I'll archive this info similar to stats, so this info will be viewable both for current players and past players.  Again, I want to make sure the data is saving properly before exposing that.

You should see a flurry of minor updates coming over the next few months in addition to these changes. 

Thanks again for your patience.
So that's nice.  I like the archiving of statistics and ratings.  I'm nervous about the major recruiting update.  I'd like to know what direction that's going in.
4/16/2014 9:45 AM
I've been reviewing the backlog of suggestions and feedback from the past few years as well as my own list.
You know what'd be a nice touch?  A user poll - list the suggestions from the ol' backlog, as well as seble's own list, and see what we're most interested in.  Ignore the results if you want, but it'd be nice to see what's actually on the table and where the community stands on that specific stuff.
4/16/2014 9:47 AM
Posted by llamanunts on 4/16/2014 9:48:00 AM (view original):
I've been reviewing the backlog of suggestions and feedback from the past few years as well as my own list.
You know what'd be a nice touch?  A user poll - list the suggestions from the ol' backlog, as well as seble's own list, and see what we're most interested in.  Ignore the results if you want, but it'd be nice to see what's actually on the table and where the community stands on that specific stuff.
I suspect that would be a pretty big poll. I know I've had at least a half dozen things that were "good ideas that we'll keep in mind for future updates" just myself...
4/16/2014 9:57 AM
Doesn't mean it's on seble's list - I've seen some of your ideas...
4/16/2014 9:58 AM
Posted by llamanunts on 4/16/2014 9:59:00 AM (view original):
Doesn't mean it's on seble's list - I've seen some of your ideas...
that's pretty funny :)

turns out its like 7 ideas, some of my older suggestions already got acted upon. At least one of these below may have been fixed (the injury thing) I don't remember seeing an injury announcement in News recently...
  • How much trouble would it be to add an additional option to the projection report for the PIT? Is it something you would/are consider(ing)? I guess bubble teams from the NT projection could just be slotted in after 64 NT #65 makes the first PIT LOCK?
  • Could you please add 3FGA, 3FGM, FGA, FGM, FTA and FTM to the leaders pages? I am trying to compare the number of my 3 pt shots to other schools and there isn't a way to do that...
  • Sometimes during recruiting it isn't prudent to do scouting evals (due to saving funds for battles, etc.). Often, once signings have occurred I am left with players I haven't done scouting trips on and money in the bank. The 25% carryover is useful, but I feel my money might often be better spent if I could send some evals after signings (only to players I've signed) to find out about high-high or low-high. The money is just sitting there... tl, dr - pls allow coaches to send scouting trips to players they signed AFTER signings happen. 
  • I am very much enjoying the new color displays for player attributes. Could you please add that same feature to the pop-out window version of team info that has ratings and stats and roster and basically everything - it is a pain to have to have 2 tabs open, one on recruiting, one the practice screen to see that potentials my guys still have to see about maybe cutting players before signings. It would be great to have it on the other pop out. Thanks!
  • Could you consider changing the recruits search display tab so that a player's rank continues to be shown when viewing by ratings as well as general? It is hard to remember which guys are out of my league when I can't see their rank anymore. Seems like one of those simple fixes like the conference stats tab maybe? It would make recruiting much simpler in the mechanical aspect
  • I wanted to report an error I've witnessed a few times now. Its not a huge deal, but some of the injury messages that show up on the Newswire on the right column tell us a player was injured and how long they'll be out but frequently fail to mention the team the player plays for...this means that unless we recognize the name we have to search through the lineups of all the teams in the conference till we find him...here's an example from tark: ESPSports.com 11/5/2010 3:03:00 AM Insiders saying that Landon Brewster's injury will keep him out of action for at least the next 3 days. can only wait... It sure looks like some string isn't filling or something computer techie...see how the last sentence starts with a lower case - it looks like it wanted to say something like, "Elon coaches can only wait..." or something similar. I've noticed this on other injury messages too, just haven't reported it before.
  • Just a suggestion - When we pay for FSS to scout a player and then sign that player, how about color coding his stat categories on the player page so that we can easily remember which categories were high or low in potential?

4/16/2014 10:32 AM
As always, I'll believe there's updates coming, when the updates actually happen. I don't much care the archiving. I take a few minutes after every season and after offseason improvements, saving the player ratings in an excel file. Obviously plenty of people will like this though.

A recruiting change has been discussed for years, and I predict it will be many more years before anything gets implemented. For discussion purposes, what I'd like to see is a much greater recruiting value to guaranteed starts and guaranteed minutes. Also alter the system so that there's a bigger considering credit for players.

What I'd really like to see is a somewhat realistic firing system in place.
4/16/2014 11:16 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 4/16/2014 11:16:00 AM (view original):
As always, I'll believe there's updates coming, when the updates actually happen. I don't much care the archiving. I take a few minutes after every season and after offseason improvements, saving the player ratings in an excel file. Obviously plenty of people will like this though.

A recruiting change has been discussed for years, and I predict it will be many more years before anything gets implemented. For discussion purposes, what I'd like to see is a much greater recruiting value to guaranteed starts and guaranteed minutes. Also alter the system so that there's a bigger considering credit for players.

What I'd really like to see is a somewhat realistic firing system in place.
Well recruiting had a drastic change several years ago. Maybe not the actual recruiting mechanism, but recruit generation has changed, and potential being introduced totally changed things.

I'm curious as to why you think considering credits should be more impactful?
4/16/2014 11:25 AM
I would love it if when a player signs during recruiting, they would then immediately show up on your team during the recruiting period. This would allow players to put the incoming recruits on the depth chart and allocate practice minutes/player distribution during the mundane last day or two of recruiting. I often find myself rushing to get these players on the depth chart in time for the first exhibition game.
4/16/2014 11:40 AM
Recruiting change that wouldn''t take much but would be a HUGE improvement: 

* Let me call the players coach during the season before recruiting starts if I have leftover cash! 
I would also like to do evals, calls, and letters, but at least let me do this. 

Why is this so impt? 
I WANT TO KNOW A PLAYER'S OFFENSE AND DEFENSE SO I CAN DECIDE BETWEEN TWO SIMILAR PLAYERS before RECRUITING STARTS. Waiting until the first round of recruiting is too late. 
4/16/2014 11:54 AM
really?
4/16/2014 1:01 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 4/16/2014 9:48:00 AM (view original):
THIS.

100%. Absolutely. No-brainer. Listen to your customers.
4/16/2014 1:14 PM
the player ratings and stats would be nice to have, Small updates, but nice.

The recruiting changes are obviously the ones that will impact everyone an cause the most uproar. no matter what changes are done, someone will be super mad and threaten to quit the site.

Some ideas I remember people throwing out include - 

increasing considering credit
player generation changes
scouting report changes - including picking which stats to scout so you don't have to scout 10 times to get 1 rating

4/16/2014 2:02 PM
I'd like to see another post-season tournament or two...like the CBI and CIT.  If I were a new coach, it'd be a nice bonus and encouragement to play another season
4/16/2014 2:40 PM
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!
4/16/2014 2:52 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 4/16/2014 2:40:00 PM (view original):
I'd like to see another post-season tournament or two...like the CBI and CIT.  If I were a new coach, it'd be a nice bonus and encouragement to play another season
agreed, plus it would help do away with some of that dead time for a lot of coaches between CT and recruiting.
4/16/2014 2:55 PM
1234 Next ▸
Development Blog Update - See Above Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.