Season 73, D3 Topic

Nice!
5/1/2014 10:16 AM
I'm definitely not complaining about Crowley--at least as long as he doesn't shoot 36% from the line all season. The funny thing is, I almost didn't recruit him because I was concerned about his rebounding. Ha!
5/1/2014 10:25 AM
The site opens, but the window where I assume the spreadsheets are gets blocked for me at work :(

I do like the idea of scaling them all to a 100-point max.  Or maybe not a hard ceiling, but a 'reasonable ceiling' such that only really incredible players/teams/confs would exceed 100.  That would definitely make the scores more intuitive.
5/1/2014 10:28 AM (edited)
Wow well his rebounding ended up being pretty good, especially considering his ATH. Great find, hopefully he starts making some FTs for ya ;)

Thanks for the input Spasticity. Currently, that's how just how I have it set up for player Starr Scores- very hard to pass the 100 mark, but possible. There was a player last season who did it, too bad I didn't save anything from last season because I didn't have all teams plugged in at the time. One of the big men (Crowley, Mikkelson) or Englehart might be able to do it this season, depending on how much growth is left. Futch is probably going to max out around 93, almost no growth left. I'm curious to see just how high Englehart can fly. I think I will work on making a more standardized score system across categories then because I was leaning that way anyway. It won't take too much work and seems like it would make things less confusing.

Spasticity, try this link and see if it opens. I am thinking it probably won't and I might have a workaround that I can implement on the website if it doesn't. The link is not the actual google spreadsheet link, but the sheet in the form of an html webpage.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gffPB4hKRz8njyiFKTxZ0_Laosh3aCaxV4GBVxHx80c/pubhtml
5/1/2014 1:00 PM (edited)
That gets blocked too, but no need to go to great lengths or anything.  I'll just have to check it out at home instead of when I'm wasting time at work.
5/1/2014 1:08 PM
No problem at all. When you have the time, I'd love if you'd check the website homepage and see if it pops up there for you. I tried a workaround of copying the original page and pasting it on the homepage, figured it was worth a shot. I am "hoping" that the information will draw from my website rather than google, and that will make it visible, but unlikely. It's messy for now, just trying to see if it works.

http://StarrEngine.Yolasite.com
5/1/2014 1:23 PM
We've got a new top ranked team as Millsaps move on up after their impressive win last night.  Even more importantly, Wooster is now in the rankings at #21.  Rejoice!  (While it lasts.)

Last Night
#1 Millsaps 67   #6 Piedmont 57
Visiting Millsaps held a 30-24 lead after the break and were able to hold the lead the entire second half despite repeated come-backs by Piedmont.  Millsaps never could knock the home team out and run away with it but they kept scoring in clutch spots and finished off the impressive 10 point road victory.  Millsaps and brian moved up to the top of the rankings with the win while Piedmont and bunker dropped down five places.

Also considered: #2 Nichols got a big 78-68 home win over Penn St. Altoona, Dominican upset #17 Hamline by the same 78-68 score, Wabash knocked Greensboro out of the rankings with a 79-71 road win, #5 Chapman used a big first half lead to down Wittenberg 64-51, #7 Webster took care of Ramapo at home 77-53, #11 Grove City edged Dubuque 81-76, and #13 Lynchburg got a game-winning bucket with four seconds left to nip Christopher Newport 69-67.

Sim blowout watch: George Fox had no issues getting the cover in losing to #16 California Tech 56-83.  What does the George Fox say?

GotN
#2 Nichols (2-0)(cactusrose) at #15 Sewanee (2-0)(madpad78)
Top-ranked Millsaps is playing another ranked team tonight but we're going with this tasty matchup featuring a good-looking Nichols squad from the Commonwealth Coast conference visiting Sewanee of the University.  This will be the visitors second straight visit to a ranked team while this is Sewanee's first big test of the season.  No previous meetings between these two, Nichols is favored by 3.

Also considered: #22 Merchant Marines at #1 Millsaps, #23 Medgar Evers at #13 Lynchburg, Texas Lutheran at #7 Webster, #8 Dallas at Willamette, #11 Grove City at Greensboro, and #21 Wooster at Whitworth

Sim blowout watch: This time it's Linfield playing as the big underdog to #16 California Tech, they're getting 61 points at home.
5/1/2014 3:41 PM
SotD: The top 6 3-pt shooting teams all have a PER rating under 38. This is a good example of how the engine relies on more than just PER in order to decide a missed and a made 3-pointer. For example, my PER rating is 48, but I am shooting 32% because I have terrible ball handling and passing.

Update from yesterday: I am now down to 7 players with 100% FT shooting.
5/2/2014 10:12 AM
Carson, it just shows you how little TEAM PER has to do with 3 point %. A team rating of 48 PER doesn't change the fact that you only have 2 shooters (who are at a respectable with small sample size 36%).
5/2/2014 12:01 PM
Remember that day a while back (yesterday) when Wooster was ranked?  Those were good times.

Last Night
#2 Nichols 52   Sewanee 49
This one was very close throughout with Nichols being up 5 at the half and never able to blow the game open.  Sewanee kept within striking distance in the second half and were able to tie and lead the game for a short period midway through the half.  It got really interesting in the final minute when the home team got a big stop and a quick layup to pull within 2 points. They got another key stop with twenty-five seconds left and looked in good shape with a chance to tie or win the game, but Nichols made a game-saving steal with ten seconds on the clock.  Sewanee immediately fouled and had one last chance after Sewanee missed one of two free throws, but the last 3ptr bounced out and the #2 team survived the scare.

Also considered: #1 Millsaps "sailed" past Merchant Marines 96-52, #8 Lynchburg got a big home win over previously ranked Medgar Evers 83-71, #5 Webster out-Gorloked Texas Lutheran 88-81, #6 Dallas stayed undefeated by getting past Willamette 63-53, #20 Greensboro got back into the rankings after taking care of Grove City at home 64-50, and Whitworth probably cheated somehow to defeat Wooster 64-59.

Sim blowout watch: Another loss to #19 California Tech and another cover, this time Linfield kept it close enough 48-74.

GotN
#20 Greensboro (2-1)(tilldog28) at #9 Calvin (3-0)(prc56)
The USA South visits the Michigan conference in another nice meeting of ranked teams.  Greensboro dropped their second game at home but bounced back nicely over a ranked team last night while this will be Calvin's first against a ranked team this season.  tilldog leads the series 11-6 but the home team is favored by 1.  I wish one of these teams had tigers as their mascot, I'd have a lot more jokes for this game.

Also considered: #16 Johnson and Wales at #11 Vassar, #1 Millsaps at Penn St. Altoona, Transylvania at #6 Dallas, #7 Ursinus at Merchant Marines, #14 W. New England at Maryville, and Emmanuel at #21 Whittier

Sim blowout watch: Winless Baptist Bible is a big 76 point home dog as they host #3 Piedmont.
5/2/2014 3:26 PM
Hey, pseudo...can I lobby to get the Johnson & Wales at Vassar game moved to the blowout watch category?  I'm sure there's a typo somewhere; spasticity's got to be much more than a 1 point favorite (perhaps there's a triple-digit spread that WIS servers can't properly process?).

This is one of my worst Vassar squads ever (don't let the misleading ranking fool you), and anyway spas has won 14 straight versus my Brewers (who are probably heavily drinking already just thinking about the nightmare matchups they'll face tonight).  I can't imagine I'll be within 20 points of J&W when the final buzzer puts me out of my misery.

P.S.  Does anyone have any proof that reverse jinxes ever work?!?

5/2/2014 4:16 PM
The proof is in the pudding.
5/2/2014 9:24 PM
Spasticity I know you told me not to, but I tried anyway to find ways to get around google docs being blocked. In the end, I couldn't do it. I can't say for sure, but probably Carson is to blame :)
5/2/2014 9:27 PM
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2580866

It's not often I come across players where ratings are so consistent. Murray looks like a good player.
5/3/2014 12:21 AM
SotD: I guess you have to win if you want to be ranked. For the past two days, everyone who gets ranked had won their game that day.

Also, I agree that Whitworth cheats. I took out their best player with an injury, and they still beat me.
5/3/2014 8:40 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...14 Next ▸
Season 73, D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.