April 24th Dev Post (Seble) Topic

I woke up this morning to see this thread was in that hidden mode. 

I knew things had not gone as I intended. This makes me sad. 
4/25/2014 6:23 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 4/25/2014 4:29:00 PM (view original):
This had the potential to be a really good thread...

One question I had for you guys is about the "colors on the profile page" thing. Are you talking about the page that pops up when you click on the team name? If so, is the only objection people have to it that it's "ugly" to see the reds, blues, and blacks on the ratings? I actually find that really useful, as it lets me know when I can start shifting some more of my practice time to offenses and defenses, or when I need to do the opposite, and pull some practice time FROM offense and defenses.
I like the colors too.
4/25/2014 6:38 PM
That's cool. I'd just like to be able to turn them off.
4/25/2014 6:41 PM
Posted by mamxet on 4/25/2014 6:13:00 PM (view original):
this could have been a useful thread.  Rendering useless by bickering, finger pointing and attacks.
And to think I didn't even post lol.
4/25/2014 7:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
aaaaaa shaddap!
4/25/2014 8:03 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/25/2014 7:57:00 PM (view original):
Well he did say it could have been a useful thread, so you not posting might have been implicit.

I am not sure how this thread could have been useful though when the best anyone could come up with for changes is changing the color of some numbers, of all things in the sim. There are probably 100 things more worthy of time and effort. 

The best argument against democracy is a conversation with the average voter. 
Your lack of self-awareness never ceases to amaze.
4/25/2014 10:17 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/25/2014 4:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/25/2014 3:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/25/2014 2:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 4/25/2014 9:47:00 AM (view original):
As far as the color coded team profile. I like to have it up. Its not a big change, but its nice to get the quick view and I keep it up while I'm setting my player game planning.

Player Roles - its nice to have it, but its not a necessity. It would become significantly more useful if it accounted for potential or could be used to determine total growth. Currently I only use it if I have 2 players who both seem to fit the same role and I want to see who would be better for it, but even then its limited to whatever values I set for those roles which may not even be ideal based on the sim engine.

Recruiting - Recruiting is not broken. Its one of the few things that have been a strength in this game. There are some changes that would be nice.
-Scouting players, either allow us to specify what we want to scout or take out the guess work altogether on potential. Maybe just create a second page in the player profile of what he can reach (assuming you scouted him) or something to that effect.
-Make promises carry more weight both positive and negative.

Someone said something about the pbp and I could agree the pbp could be more useful if it could be used as something to really learn from. At this point the only thing I get from it is if my guy is getting double teamed and to see how tired my players get at certain points in the game.

Cross world stuff - maybe just make more comparative tools for records. This second idea is likely not to happen, but it could be a cool feature. What if their were some form of cross world exhibition tournaments. Probably more work than its worth, but it would be interesting.

Coachable NBA teams. I know this has been discussed before and there are issues concerning season timing and all, but I think those things could be worked out if it was implemented to fit HD. It could be like NBA lite.
-since there is no recruiting, the draft session could be shorter. Coaches would submit a list of their top 30 players (or whatever draft spot they are in) and the sim could process it at the normal time of a recruiting cycle. or maybe a 1 day draft session and a 1 day submission towards free agents or something (submit your bid on a player and top bidder wins, maybe even incorporate other factors like potential playing time promises, minutes, distribution etc.)
- since the schedule has to fit HD, the season could start earlier since you dont need as much time for recruiting. Reduce the playoffs to the same sort of format as NT (1 game matchup or best of 3 or something short - remember this season must fit HD).
-Job logic (see complaints about job logic with DI firings). This is the NBA and only good coaches should be there and failure will keep it opened up for other coaches to take the position.

Anyways, the NBA thing is wishful thinking that will likely never happen, but its a cool idea to continue the idea of elite players from DI getting drafted and doing something more.
You must not have much idea how recruiting works in real life. Recruiting is trash on this game. What has practically unlimited value here has very limited value IRL, and what has limited value here has more value IRL. It's completely backwards. And the idea of players routinely only considering 1-2 schools is ridiculous. 

Take the guesswork out of potential? So you want to know exactly how good a player is going to be (impossible IRL) but I'm crazy for thinking recruiting pulldowns, what it takes to be considered, etc. should be better defined by the game, rather than how-to basically being a matter of hearsay from players. 

Why the hell do you care about coaching NBA teams? It would make more sense if there were reasonably modeled high school teams, summer league, camp stats, etc...rather than just one pretty close to worthless set of stats being generated for high school players. 

If this is how the game has become what it is today, small wonder it's so screwed up because these are terrible suggestions for hte most part. All of this said, the single biggest scourge on the game is the way IQ works that basically destroys a team for 2 seasons. That really destroys the game for anyone new, and all it does is serve as a money sink in which a new player is bound to think that they are not getting value for those seasons.
i am not a huge fan of all these ideas, although certainly some of them are very solid. but regardless of how you feel, why do you have to be a dick about it? its one thing to be a dick to me, who chooses to routinely call you out on the bounty of BS you offer. but there's no need to everyone else. for someone so ignorant to be so pompous is really quite astounding. if you at least knew what you were talking about... it still wouldn't be right, but at least it would be more palatable. 
You talking about someone else being pompous...oh man that's rich. Back to breaking more board rules with profane namecalling I see.

I know exactly what I'm talking about with regard to the game of basketball and how recruiting works and summerball and pretty darned much all of it. 

All you know is a sim chock full of problems and it seems that's all you want to know.

i know its chock full of problems. i've spent 100 times more time than you trying to get it fixed. there is a way to go about it, and that way is not being a complete blowhard. its pretty obvious you accomplish nothing with your endless rantings, do you dispute that fact? the same can't be said of me. find a way to be effective. its not that friggen difficult, you just suck at it. is that a swear now too? waaaaaaa? 
4/25/2014 10:37 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 4/25/2014 7:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mamxet on 4/25/2014 6:13:00 PM (view original):
this could have been a useful thread.  Rendering useless by bickering, finger pointing and attacks.
And to think I didn't even post lol.
I count on you for threads that are useful or amusing - and sometimes - but not always - both
4/25/2014 11:19 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/25/2014 11:04:00 PM (view original):
Well you haven't been very effective your way. I would think you would welcome the help.

That or you have been effective and this is your idea of a good sim, in which case you NEED the help.
haven't been very effective? ive influenced a ton of things that i am happy were influenced in the way i influenced them. you have accomplished nothing except that everyone hates you, although for some reason, seble keeps letting you back eventually, expecting different results. i'd say thats the definition of insanity of this point, but... well, actually, yeah, i would say that exactly. so seble is insane, and the rest of us can't stand you. could you back up a step and explain to me how this qualifies you to give advice on affecting change? you did affect a lot of change, in the sense that none of us knew you, but now we can't stand you - but that's not really the kind of change im going for. note that i have plenty of material to work with, should i decide to go that route, thanks to you. 

often, the problem is seble has good intentions, he just goes wayyyyyyyyy to far, not appreciating the subtlety of this game. that definitely has bit us all in the ***, and lead many of us to want to avoid major overhauls at all costs. suffice it to say, the last couple did not go so hot. seble's last major overhaul caused the game to shed a full 1/3rd of the d1 population, because of his d1 recruit generation changes. i want him to attempt to fix it, yes - ive been pushing for years - but the outcome of that event surely makes me not want him to overhaul other areas of the game. i can tolerate HD as is, i don't know if that will always be true. its a shame because on some level, i really like seble, and respect his openness and a variety of other things. but i just dont think he has the player-level appreciation of the game to make the kind of adjustments that are required. i really think he needs to pick up some real teams and compete to the best of his ability, to learn what its like to be a competitive player, before he makes another major overhaul to anything. i actually said that the first time 3 to 4 years ago. so i think you are largely failing to recognize the historical context many of us have, that leads us to such different conclusions than you. you don't know the facts or the context, but criticize us for reaching different conclusions all the same - there is something seriously wrong with that. that should be obvious.
4/26/2014 1:31 AM (edited)
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/25/2014 2:46:00 PM (view original):
I guess you would rather keep the game the way it is since you've decoded all the flaws.

Some people might rather have a better, more realistic, more playable game. 

Why do you think you have the right to deny people that? And why are you trying to actively drive me away from the site? Who the hell made you the boss of who uses the site and how much?

More haughty arrogance. And you wonder why people don't like you. 
The points in your posts might have merit, BUT, you need to express them in a way that is not so abrasive.

Why do you have to personally attack people.

I guess it is fine if you are a spoiled 12 year old ... but if you are an adult then you really need to re-evaluate how you talk to people here.

4/26/2014 9:13 AM
The roles thing is a way to prioritize certain settings for a given position.

I do this inside a spreadsheet for all my teams.

In order to use it for recruiting, it needs to take into account potential ... to use it for actual players, it does not necessarily need to take into account potential.

For example, I have these factors that I currently use for ratings:

Position A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT Off_IQ Def_IQ TOT-R TOT
PG 0.08 0.16 0.00 0.15 0.00 0.03 0.11 0.17 0.23 0.03 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.10 0.10 1.00 1.25
SG 0.08 0.16 0.00 0.15 0.00 0.05 0.22 0.12 0.15 0.03 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.10 0.10 1.00 1.25
SF 0.17 0.09 0.07 0.15 0.05 0.10 0.10 0.10 0.10 0.03 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.10 0.10 1.00 1.25
PF 0.19 0.06 0.12 0.15 0.10 0.14 0.07 0.04 0.06 0.03 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.10 0.10 1.00 1.25
C 0.21 0.03 0.17 0.15 0.12 0.17 0.02 0.02 0.04 0.03 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.10 0.10 1.00 1.25

I am not saying that my ratings are the best or anything like that .. I am saying I use role ratings to help me decide who is best to play, etc

4/26/2014 9:22 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 4/26/2014 9:22:00 AM (view original):
The roles thing is a way to prioritize certain settings for a given position.

I do this inside a spreadsheet for all my teams.

In order to use it for recruiting, it needs to take into account potential ... to use it for actual players, it does not necessarily need to take into account potential.

For example, I have these factors that I currently use for ratings:

Position A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT Off_IQ Def_IQ TOT-R TOT
PG 0.08 0.16 0.00 0.15 0.00 0.03 0.11 0.17 0.23 0.03 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.10 0.10 1.00 1.25
SG 0.08 0.16 0.00 0.15 0.00 0.05 0.22 0.12 0.15 0.03 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.10 0.10 1.00 1.25
SF 0.17 0.09 0.07 0.15 0.05 0.10 0.10 0.10 0.10 0.03 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.10 0.10 1.00 1.25
PF 0.19 0.06 0.12 0.15 0.10 0.14 0.07 0.04 0.06 0.03 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.10 0.10 1.00 1.25
C 0.21 0.03 0.17 0.15 0.12 0.17 0.02 0.02 0.04 0.03 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.10 0.10 1.00 1.25

I am not saying that my ratings are the best or anything like that .. I am saying I use role ratings to help me decide who is best to play, etc

riddle me this - what are your ratings for the value of each category based upon? How much suboptimalization might there be in the final PRR rating formula if each core category were under or over valued by as little as 5%? I'm not a stats geek, so I don't know, but my WAG is it is not insignificant. 

by this I mean that like any other computer program, GIGO. If your values are not very close to the actual weights used by the engine your displayed PRR values would have virtually no bearing to performance or winning (well, no positive bearing) - or am I way off base on this?

If I sounded like a dick pretend I didn't - not my intent.
4/26/2014 9:59 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...9 Next ▸
April 24th Dev Post (Seble) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.