April 24th Dev Post (Seble) Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
If you don't want to learn, don't ask questions. When I've seen you ask "questions", it's always been in the form of a complaint, as if you just wanted people to say, "Yeah, the engine screwed you over there." Is it possible you've asked questions that weren't framed in that--or a similar--way? Sure. I haven't been on the boards much since you showed up, so that's definitely possible.

And If you don't want to search the boards for some answers, then don't do it. But don't pretend like the answers aren't out there to be had.
4/27/2014 1:08 AM
there is some level that would be too much info - in my opinion it would be harmful for WIS to spoon feed detailed, specific info on some stuff.  At some level, there is coding the gives numerical effect to the game.  WIS should not share that - one point of the game is to figure out through experience what works.

In addition, for many questions my experience tells me that there is not a simple numerical answer - it depends on many variables and the most one can say is that taking a certain action will tend to increase the chances of a certain result - depending on many other variables.  

In my opinion, the game would be hurt if WIS disclosed all the values, variables and interactions so that one could know how many of X it takes to get result Y.  I think it is good that there are a range of experiences and opinions.
4/27/2014 7:08 AM
A point of the game and the site is you have to (gasp) "learn" to play the game.    The site purposely does not spell out every single hing you have to do to be successfull.   It is vague in certain areas so that users can learn on their own.      Users who don;t want to be spoonfed everything in life find that a entertaining challenge.   Others just complain and complain.
4/27/2014 9:43 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/26/2014 11:12:00 PM (view original):
Why should someone have to go combing through a poorly organized forum to find how to play the game? There's a player's guide and an FAQ, neither of which are nearly as robust as they could be. Not to mention that information by participants is not necessarily right, as we've seen. People don't know how many STs it takes to pull down a player, people don't even believe seble on some things he's said, basically you've no guarantee that anything on the board is right. It needs to be put in a greatly expanded player's guide so that everyone has access to the same information. That way there's no benefit to spreading misinformation, no excuse for having wrong information, and the requirement to use clunky and unreliable means to gather information is eliminated. Then the game is truly down to who plays better, who has the better strategy, who manages their resources better, rather than this information asymmetry cat-and-mouse game.

I have asked questions on the forum and it always gets twisted to I screwed up, it's my fault, I'm an idiot, I'm a terrible coach, my team is crap...less than helpful there. Don't bother spitting back the usual line about how it's my fault somehow...I'm not interesting. Facts are facts. I was even complimented on a thread for ignoring a bunch of useless trolls. And still somehow things end up getting blamed on me. So really I can't win either way, so why should I bother trying?
Quit the game if you dislike it so badly.

I am still trying to learn HD and enjoy reading the forums. The HD forums are by and large far more helpful to learn on then the HBD and GD ones. I also find a lot of help on the FIQ helps.

But here I once again read what starts out as a  good thread only for it to be polluted by you etta. Every time you get on one. I noticed no one bothering you until you got on kicking sand at others. The problem is you. This is coming from someone who will stick up for the little guy.

etta, quit ruining my experience with HD. I do enjoy this game for what it is. Like all other things in life it could be better but it is pretty good as it is too.

4/27/2014 10:54 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/27/2014 2:18:00 AM (view original):
My point is that having to search the boards for threads that look like they might have answers, then comb the threads for useful info...is a horribly inefficient approach that probably going to turn off more people than it turns on. To have that be your primary method of information dissemination is really, really poor and there's very little arguing that. It's bad from a business perspective in almost every way possible -- customer service, marketing, operations...all of it. 

All of that said, I've done it, but I think to tell someone "if you want answers, just look on the board" is an approach that badly misses the mark with regard to how the game experience can be improved.
i agree, but its what we have. you keep arguing HD is flawed, the FAQ is flawed, the guide is flawed (actually, the guide was great, written by the most successful coach ever - but that was about 5 years ago, so im sure it needs some updating. still good info in there, though). its not that we are really disagreeing with you, its common knowledge here the game documentation is really lacking, and everyone knows development has been stale while fixed are needed, and is frustrated by that fact. clearly there is a gap as to the perception of the scope of the problem, but on principle, i don't think most of us really disagree with you on this point - regardless, what we are definitely saying is that hearing it 20 times a day is annoying. you are correct in your premise, just like socrates was correct in his premise that nobody else was as smart as they thought they were. going around sharing that opinion endlessly got him killed. going around sharing this same opinion endlessly is driving us all crazy, and is half the reason people are ticketing to get you banned. again, i don't disagree with the content of your post... 
4/27/2014 11:01 AM (edited)
Another issue is that not all good coaches do things the same way. I've had my fair share of success here but I know for a fact that I have some major differences of opinion with some other coaches, including some excellent coaches that I respect a lot, about everything ranging from optimal players traits for various positions to tempo to defensive positioning to distribution and it's proper use.

In other words, when there is not unanimous consensus on how to win even among coaches who win, and when there are multiple paths to success, it would be tough to have specific how-to-win instructions for new coaches. (And whether or not there SHOULD be such instructions is another question entirely!)
4/27/2014 2:30 PM
is whether or not there should be detailed how-to-win instructions really a question? the clear answer is NO, isn't it? The FAQ and other things might be outdated, I haven't read it in a while. A couple years ago I did send in numerous errors and corrections on typos and dead links that I think they fixed, but those don't do much to alter the content. 

The FAQ and guide or whatever are to get you started. If asking the active users who take time to read/reply in the forums is too inconvenient a way to get info HD is probably not for you, as currently constructed. Despite seble's post and recent changes I doubt HD is going to materially change its structure in this regard.

Here's a few more: 
If you cannot let go of any of the many things that HD does differently from real life college basketball, HD might not be for you. 

If you are the only person on the entire Internet who can't understand why everyone is upset at you and think that a few dozen people ALL must be some kind of Kool-Aid drinking cultists with no knowledge or experience that matters compared to your own illustrious background, and they are all out to get you, HD might not be for you. (or the Internet in general for that matter...you might want professional help with that actually)

If you insist that "poaching" at last cycle before signings makes the culprit a "dick" or it is a "dick-move" despite having multiple, good-intended folks try to set things straight, not only might HD not be for you, but YOU are kind of a dick.

If when you first join HD and post some questions about the new game you just started playing that day a number of friendly people, some of the finest men I've come to know over my 5 years, all try to offer advice and within a page you tell them ALL how stupid they are, why it should work the way you want it to ,  and accuse them of being disingenuous because of your own bullshit neuroses, HD definitely isn't for you.

Oh, and if you run through the forums like Sherman marching on Atlanta spreading your whine-*** agenda over every helpful thread running so that other users down vote those threads to unlisted status just not to have to put up with your ****, HD might not be for you. 

*those are all hypothetical of course*
4/27/2014 2:55 PM (edited)
Etta, the problem is that you usually throw a punch, so to speak, and then get indignant when other people respond.
4/28/2014 12:54 PM
One other note on differences of views expressed on the forums.  People have different approaches, which mean they encounter different situations.  I recruit my way, others recruit very differently.  I will know some things based on my experience - others will have a different body of knowledge about what works and how.  I think that is GOOD.  Now one COULD say that there should be a written guide that spells out how everything works in every context.  1. It would be huge and 2. it would ruin the game.

Beyond recruiting, consider rosters.  I tend - except when I screw up - to have deep rosters.  I tend to have high ATH and DEF, no matter what scheme I run. This means that my teams my not be elite in some other categories and it has an effect on what works and what doesnt work - for me.  I may discover "truths" that work only in a limited context.  Or some of those truths may in fact be wrong - a lot or a little.

I like that. 

There is plenty of information on the core methods and rules of the game - easy to find if one spends some time reading the FAQ and guide and the good old threads of background.  There is plenty of disagreement about some tactics, strategies and interactions in the game.  If there were not, it would be deeply boring and I would stop playing.
4/28/2014 2:09 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 4/27/2014 7:08:00 AM (view original):
there is some level that would be too much info - in my opinion it would be harmful for WIS to spoon feed detailed, specific info on some stuff.  At some level, there is coding the gives numerical effect to the game.  WIS should not share that - one point of the game is to figure out through experience what works.

In addition, for many questions my experience tells me that there is not a simple numerical answer - it depends on many variables and the most one can say is that taking a certain action will tend to increase the chances of a certain result - depending on many other variables.  

In my opinion, the game would be hurt if WIS disclosed all the values, variables and interactions so that one could know how many of X it takes to get result Y.  I think it is good that there are a range of experiences and opinions.
You're making a new argument no one made.

I'm not saying disclose the code. I'm saying put everyone on the same playing field. There's still plenty of room for strategy in that, just as there is in real life recruiting. The way it is right now is like the NCAA rule book was purely a matter of hearsay and message board banter. It's completely insane. I can't see how anyone interested in fair play and growing the game would support the current system. Which makes me believe that the people that do support the current system don't support fair play and everyone having the same information.
4/28/2014 3:10 PM
Posted by terps21234 on 4/28/2014 3:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/27/2014 2:18:00 AM (view original):
My point is that having to search the boards for threads that look like they might have answers, then comb the threads for useful info...is a horribly inefficient approach that probably going to turn off more people than it turns on. To have that be your primary method of information dissemination is really, really poor and there's very little arguing that. It's bad from a business perspective in almost every way possible -- customer service, marketing, operations...all of it. 

All of that said, I've done it, but I think to tell someone "if you want answers, just look on the board" is an approach that badly misses the mark with regard to how the game experience can be improved.
Like I said before and will keep saying, I find all info very easy to find here. Better than that other SIM game where I keep getting stupid emails and can't find any info on what the ratings, potential, etc.. are located.  Plus you have 25 man roster, THIS  ISN"T the NBA.  And as I have said before again and again, YOU"RE AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great post, would read again.
4/28/2014 3:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
April 24th Dev Post (Seble) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.