Minimum Wage Topic

Posted by silentpadna on 5/1/2014 5:30:00 PM (view original):
>>We pay for food stamps, welfare, EIC, subsidized daycare, subsidized health care, and countless other social safety nets so that companies like McDonalds and Walmart can keep their labor costs low and their profits high.<<

We don't do that for that purpose.  Their profits are "high" (whatever that means) because they have a business model that works.  We pay for what we value.  The reason pay is not high for McD and WM workers is that their skills are in high supply.  It's not hard to find people who can perform the skill.  People who have that skill would charge more if there was a higher demand for them.  Just like any other commodity, product or service.  The safety net is there publicly (through government) because that's what society has decided is government's job.  If you start your own business making lemonade, you're going to buy the lemonade at as low of a price as you can, and you're going to charge for lemonade the most you can and still make whatever you deem your risk to be worth.  If your profit margin isn't high enough, you're not going to do it...
You're over simplifying the labor market. It isn't a free market and the balance of power is tilted almost completely in favor of the employer.
5/1/2014 5:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/1/2014 8:33:00 AM (view original):
Minimum wage is a Catch-22.   
Indeed it is.
5/1/2014 5:47 PM
Posted by silentpadna on 5/1/2014 5:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/1/2014 5:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by silentpadna on 5/1/2014 5:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/1/2014 4:18:00 PM (view original):
Please stop trying to explain economics. You think the federal government can reduce its deficit by selling more treasury bonds.
That's hardly a response.  Mike's post is entirely reasonable.

Any regulation, tax, fee, act of God, etc. has consequences.  Forcing employers to pay more for labor puts pressure on profit.  Those who go into business do so in the hopes that their profit exceeds the amount they would make if they invested - risked - their money elsewhere.  Absorbing the cost is not a realistic option if there is an opportunity to do better by taking another action.  A company can:

1.  Raise prices of its product or service to maintain the required return on their investment
2.  Reduce the cost of providing the product or service to maintain the required return on their investment.  (through fewer jobs)
3.  Some combination thereof.
4.  Choose the opportunity of eliminating their investment in the affected enterprise and investing in something different.

Every one of these options ultimately doesn't squeeze the big guy, as minimum wage advocates intend, but instead end up indirectly hurting the very people they are "trying to help".  Increased prices, job losses (check the CBO February 2014 estimate of job loss related to minimum wage hike), or companies moving out (more job losses) all affect those who work these positions.

If you don't consider context and ramifications of change, you'll never see how this stuff works.

By the way raising taxes on "the rich" or "corporations" exerts the same type of pressure, which is why targeted tax hikes on whoever makes more than me don't accomplish what their advocates publicly claim (but most privately don't believe).
By that logic we should lower or eliminate the minimum wage, right? I mean, allowing employers to pay employees $3.15 would create way more jobs.
I'm not advocating the elimination of minimum wage, but wages would settle out somewhere just based on supply and demand.  The fact is that there are jobs that are not worth people's time if the pay is not enough.  But reversing that for a minute, if you simply raised minimum wage, something has to happen in response.  Why not just raise minimum wage to $50/hour?  That way everyone would make six figures.  Would that work?  The question still remains:  who is helped and who is hurt by raising the minimum wage and what is that action intended to accomplish?  Does it accomplish what it's supposed to?  If it doesn't, do we raise more?  And then more again? 

Businesses are going to profit or they are going to go away.  You cannot legislate that part out or businesses would never start.  If there is a demand for the product or service, they will profit as long as they can supply it at a price people are willing to pay.  If you put upward price pressure enough people won't demand the product. 
"The first major empirical paper taking issue with the simple supply-demand account arrived back in 1993, when two top labor economists, David Card and Alan Krueger, decided to do a case study of what happened to employment in fast-food restaurants along the New Jersey-Pennsylvania border when New Jersey hiked the minimum wage but Pennsylvania did not.

The short answer: Nothing happened. Despite the higher minimum wage in New Jersey, New Jersey's fast-food restaurants did not lay off workers."

Study

"2010 paper by economists Arindrajit Dube, T. William Lester, and Michael Reich took counties that abutted each other but were in different states and looked at employment when one state chose to raise minimum wage while another did not. Dube, Lester, and Reich also found no employment effect."

Paper

One useful meta-analysis of all these studies comes from economist Hristos Doucouliagos, who showed that precise studies cluster close to zero impact on employment with a majority showing a very small decline.

Study on studies
5/1/2014 5:52 PM
Can't hit these links from work, but I assume they back your position.  Couple of quick questions on them:

1.  What was the magnitude of the differences in the wages?
2.  If you raised the minimum wage to a "living wage" (whatever that is), does that approximate the magnitude of difference in the studies?
3.  Do the studies account for time/economic decisions? 
4.  If the minimum wage was raised substantially, would that then put pressure on the hourly rate paid to positions for which there are fewer people qualified to work?  Were things like that included in the study.  The ripple effect occuring over time would seem to be a factor (my own hypothesis) in this.  For example, if I make $14/hour as an inspector or technician with a specialty skill, and the minimum wage doubles, shouldn't my wage then follow up?  Since it's much harder to find skilled labor than it is to find unskilled, it would follow that society would place more value on skilled positions, causing their price to rise.  If I could make $15/hour sitting at a security gate and make $15/hour for a job that needs plenty more training, why would I take on the harder job?  The company paying me for the harder job is going to have to entice me with more pay to do that, rather than something easy, like sitting at the gate.

I admit I'm cynical, but if your cited studies don't follow the ripple, I would be hard-pressed to take them at face value.

There was discussion in Washington State (where I used to live recently) about raising the minimum wage in Seattle to $15/hr.  That would be in Seattle proper, not its surrounding metro area.  Although that would close to double the minimum wage, the price for a fast food meal would only moderately rise (since price not driven solely by labor).  However, it would rise enough for a lot of people to not bother going to fast foods in Seattle proper. 

I would also ask you:  how high should minimum wage be?  (This is very similar to the question of how much do we tax in order to be fair).
5/1/2014 6:16 PM
It's just a math question and it's pointless to argue it with anyone as dense as BL seems to be.

Increase in labor/materials =

A)  lower profits
B) higher service charges/products

Which do you think businesses will choose?  
5/1/2014 6:46 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/1/2014 6:46:00 PM (view original):
It's just a math question and it's pointless to argue it with anyone as dense as BL seems to be.

A)  lower profits

Why are you following me around? I thought you blocked me?
5/1/2014 6:56 PM
The cycle just continues. 

Raise minimum wage & businesses that employ many minimum wage workers (McD, Walmart, etc) pass that cost along to the consumer. Not to mention all of the Union workers whose pay will increase which will raise the prices of consumer goods manufactured by union workers.

Now the new minimum wage buys the same as it once did, but what HAS changed is the people who WERE lower middle class are now also paying more for what they consume.

So in effect you just end up pushing more and more lower middle and middle class families down the ladder and not helping the poor up the ladder.

Want to help the minimum wage earner? Help them with training and/or education, so they can move up the wage ladder.
5/2/2014 12:30 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/1/2014 6:46:00 PM (view original):

A)  lower profits

I left out an option.

C)  lower quality of service or products.

I could hire 30 maids instead of 50 to clean my hotel rooms.   Wouldn't be quite as clean but that's the price you pay.   Sorry about that pube on the sink but my maids are making $18 an hour now.   Seems like they'd do a better job.

5/2/2014 8:27 AM
FWIW, I'm not sure training/education is even the answer.   Someone has to muck stalls, clean toilets, serve fast food, greet Wal-Mart customers, etc, etc.   The simple fact of the matter is there are only so many "good" jobs and, if we train/educate everyone out of the low-paying ones, who's going to do them?   Everyone can't wear a suit and make 100k a year. 
5/2/2014 8:31 AM
No, not everyone can. But everyone needs the opportunity to-- which people have. It's what makes capitalism great and America great. Everyone has opportunities to improve their standing, and if they don't, it is not our job to drag them up. 
5/2/2014 8:35 AM
Some people disagree.   I'm not one of them but they're out there.
5/2/2014 8:39 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/2/2014 8:31:00 AM (view original):
FWIW, I'm not sure training/education is even the answer.   Someone has to muck stalls, clean toilets, serve fast food, greet Wal-Mart customers, etc, etc.   The simple fact of the matter is there are only so many "good" jobs and, if we train/educate everyone out of the low-paying ones, who's going to do them?   Everyone can't wear a suit and make 100k a year. 
This is also true. I don't think in reality you will ever have "everyone educated out of low paying jobs" simply because there are people out there who are not motivated and are apathetic towards education/training and even work in general.

That seems to be the point lost on the "raise minimum wage" group.

Timmy and Tommy both started a minimum wage job on the same day. Timmy is a motivated hard worker, while Tommy is not so much, and thinks "I'll do the bare minimum to get by and if they fire me I'll just go make minimum wage down the street".

After two years Timmy has worked hard and gotten a few raises. Now he earns $10/hour, while Tommy has just started his fifth minimum wage job. The new min wage law passes and now both are making $10.10/hour.  Good thing Timmy worked so hard...
5/2/2014 8:44 AM

That's also true.    Everyone can't be trained/educated to another level. 

5/2/2014 8:45 AM
more ********!
5/2/2014 9:27 AM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 5/2/2014 12:32:00 AM (view original):
The cycle just continues. 

Raise minimum wage & businesses that employ many minimum wage workers (McD, Walmart, etc) pass that cost along to the consumer. Not to mention all of the Union workers whose pay will increase which will raise the prices of consumer goods manufactured by union workers.

Now the new minimum wage buys the same as it once did, but what HAS changed is the people who WERE lower middle class are now also paying more for what they consume.

So in effect you just end up pushing more and more lower middle and middle class families down the ladder and not helping the poor up the ladder.

Want to help the minimum wage earner? Help them with training and/or education, so they can move up the wage ladder.
Union workers don't (usually) make minimum wage. So union workers pay is unaffected by an increase in minimum wage.
5/2/2014 11:16 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...127 Next ▸
Minimum Wage Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.