Minimum Wage Topic

Posted by toddcommish on 6/6/2014 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Poor people are poor for a number of reasons:
- Poor choices (this includes poor effort)
- Poor genetics (dealt a bad hand from the beginning)
- Poor luck (**** happens)

Most of the situations will fall under these three headers.  HARD WORK and perseverance can overcome #1 and #3.

I don't necessarily think that hard work can overcome any of those.

Some people make mistakes. If you come from a middle class or better family, have savings, a good job, etc., you can usually overcome a mistake. But if you're already poor and you get a DUI or flunk out of community college or whatever, you're pretty much ******. 

Hard work isn't magic. Some of the hardest working people I've ever met were also the poorest. Something my dad taught me growing up - life isn't fair. You don't always get what you deserve or deserve what you get.

Of all the people in the US, the poor have the least amount of power to change their individual situation or the system that delivers their daily buttfucking.
6/6/2014 2:01 PM
If you want to be successful, try really hard to be a white male.
6/6/2014 2:07 PM
Well, my grandparents lost EVERYTHING when they were sent to internment camps in 1942.  When they got out, they WORKED their ***** off, overcame prejudice (and outright bigotry), and built lives for themselves and their kids in the Bay Area.  

I didn't say HARD WORK was a guarantee of anything.  And if you get a DUI, you deserve whatever you get.  If you flunk out of community college, you made several poor choices because community college is basically high school all over again.  FYI, My dad flunked out of community college in the 50's, got married at 19, went into the Army, came back, made me, and then proceeded to work multiple jobs for a decade, and eventually build a pretty decent middle class life for us.

Instead of making excuses and taking handouts for doing nothing, maybe some of these people should try WORKING and CONTRIBUTING.  No guarantees, but most find a better life at the end of that path. 
6/6/2014 2:08 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 6/6/2014 2:08:00 PM (view original):
Well, my grandparents lost EVERYTHING when they were sent to internment camps in 1942.  When they got out, they WORKED their ***** off, overcame prejudice (and outright bigotry), and built lives for themselves and their kids in the Bay Area.  

I didn't say HARD WORK was a guarantee of anything.  And if you get a DUI, you deserve whatever you get.  If you flunk out of community college, you made several poor choices because community college is basically high school all over again.  FYI, My dad flunked out of community college in the 50's, got married at 19, went into the Army, came back, made me, and then proceeded to work multiple jobs for a decade, and eventually build a pretty decent middle class life for us.

Instead of making excuses and taking handouts for doing nothing, maybe some of these people should try WORKING and CONTRIBUTING.  No guarantees, but most find a better life at the end of that path. 
Sure, those stories happen. Good for them. It would be nice if we still set policy that encouraged social mobility, had stronger unions, and had a minimum wage as high as it was 50 years ago (when adjusted for inflation).

Unfortunately for today's poor, policy is tilted towards the already rich, unions are weak, and minimum wage falls well short of what it used to be.

6/6/2014 2:13 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/6/2014 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Well if that isn't a blatantly racist comment, I'm not sure what is.
6/6/2014 2:21 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/6/2014 2:13:00 PM (view original):

Sure, those stories happen. Good for them. It would be nice if we still set policy that encouraged social mobility, had stronger unions, and had a minimum wage as high as it was 50 years ago (when adjusted for inflation).

Unfortunately for today's poor, policy is tilted towards the already rich, unions are weak, and minimum wage falls well short of what it used to be.

Wait.  Are you saying that Obama's 5+ years (and counting) of HOPE!  and CHANGE!  have been a failure?
6/6/2014 2:23 PM
True though
6/6/2014 2:23 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/6/2014 2:21:00 PM (view original):
Easiest excuse for not being successful.

"But I'm not a white male."
6/6/2014 2:24 PM
6/6/2014 2:25 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/6/2014 2:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/6/2014 2:13:00 PM (view original):

Wait.  Are you saying that Obama's 5+ years (and counting) of HOPE!  and CHANGE!  have been a failure?
Yep. And 8 years before that. And further. If I had to guess, I'd say the official US policy of "poor?...**** the poor," started over 30 years ago. 
6/6/2014 2:26 PM
How is that racist?
6/6/2014 2:26 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/6/2014 2:26:00 PM (view original):
How is that racist?
How is it not?
6/6/2014 2:31 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/6/2014 2:31:00 PM (view original):
How is that racist?
How is it not?
6/6/2014 2:37 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/6/2014 2:31:00 PM (view original):
How is that racist?
How is it not?
Just mentioning race isn't racism.

Acknowledging that white men occupy the vast majority of positions of power, make more money, and, in general, enjoy more success than women and men of other races isn't racism. It's a fact.
6/6/2014 2:39 PM
It's so much easier to fail, or not even try, when you can say "The man is keeping me down."
6/6/2014 2:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...127 Next ▸
Minimum Wage Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.