Minimum Wage Topic

Posted by mchalesarmy on 5/2/2014 8:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/2/2014 8:31:00 AM (view original):
FWIW, I'm not sure training/education is even the answer.   Someone has to muck stalls, clean toilets, serve fast food, greet Wal-Mart customers, etc, etc.   The simple fact of the matter is there are only so many "good" jobs and, if we train/educate everyone out of the low-paying ones, who's going to do them?   Everyone can't wear a suit and make 100k a year. 
This is also true. I don't think in reality you will ever have "everyone educated out of low paying jobs" simply because there are people out there who are not motivated and are apathetic towards education/training and even work in general.

That seems to be the point lost on the "raise minimum wage" group.

Timmy and Tommy both started a minimum wage job on the same day. Timmy is a motivated hard worker, while Tommy is not so much, and thinks "I'll do the bare minimum to get by and if they fire me I'll just go make minimum wage down the street".

After two years Timmy has worked hard and gotten a few raises. Now he earns $10/hour, while Tommy has just started his fifth minimum wage job. The new min wage law passes and now both are making $10.10/hour.  Good thing Timmy worked so hard...
It isn't about who works hard and who doesn't.

We, as a society, have decided that there needs to be a minimum wage. We have also decided that there should be a social safety net for people who need it. It only makes sense that the minimum wage should be high enough so that people making it aren't also on government assistance. Otherwise, a low minimum wage is a giant subsidy for businesses that employ minimum wage workers.

5/2/2014 11:20 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/2/2014 11:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mchalesarmy on 5/2/2014 8:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/2/2014 8:31:00 AM (view original):
FWIW, I'm not sure training/education is even the answer.   Someone has to muck stalls, clean toilets, serve fast food, greet Wal-Mart customers, etc, etc.   The simple fact of the matter is there are only so many "good" jobs and, if we train/educate everyone out of the low-paying ones, who's going to do them?   Everyone can't wear a suit and make 100k a year. 
This is also true. I don't think in reality you will ever have "everyone educated out of low paying jobs" simply because there are people out there who are not motivated and are apathetic towards education/training and even work in general.

That seems to be the point lost on the "raise minimum wage" group.

Timmy and Tommy both started a minimum wage job on the same day. Timmy is a motivated hard worker, while Tommy is not so much, and thinks "I'll do the bare minimum to get by and if they fire me I'll just go make minimum wage down the street".

After two years Timmy has worked hard and gotten a few raises. Now he earns $10/hour, while Tommy has just started his fifth minimum wage job. The new min wage law passes and now both are making $10.10/hour.  Good thing Timmy worked so hard...
It isn't about who works hard and who doesn't.

We, as a society, have decided that there needs to be a minimum wage. We have also decided that there should be a social safety net for people who need it. It only makes sense that the minimum wage should be high enough so that people making it aren't also on government assistance. Otherwise, a low minimum wage is a giant subsidy for businesses that employ minimum wage workers.

No, that doesn't make sense.  Again, minimum wage jobs are not designed to support a family.  Their misuse by some does not constitute a reason to change the system.  Nor does the "we, as a society, support a program that doesn't work, which necessarily means that we must adjust other programs ancillary to it in order to make it seem it like it works" logic hold any water.

It's politically convenient to blame businesses for this (and many other) ill(s), and there are plenty of people out there who are happy to hear that there is a big, bad villain keeping them from the life they feel they deserve, but that doesn't make it true.
5/2/2014 11:46 AM
Explain "misuse by some."

I'm not "blaming" businesses. It's perfectly rational for a business to want to reduce its costs. But that doesn't change the fact that we allow labor costs to be so low and then give assistance the workers because they don't earn enough to survive. Requiring the business to pay wages high enough so that their workers can afford to eat shifts that burden off of the taxpayers.

And, yes, I understand that businesses won't want to eat that increased cost. They will, when possible, pass the cost along to customers. But customers have a choice if they want to buy something. Taxpayers can't choose not to pay taxes.
5/2/2014 12:58 PM
Using a minimum wage job to try to support a family.  Anecdotally, for every job posting I see for a fry cook at McDonalds, I see a posting for a swing shift union position at the supermarket.  Both have the same education/job experience requirements.  I can't listen to the radio without hearing advertisements from trucking companies who promise good wages and a trip home weekly, without having to own your own rig.  Would it be fun/convenient to work swing shift or only see your family once a week?  Certainly not.  But are we interested in making sure we provide opportunity, or are we interested in making sure we provide extremely fun/convenient opportunity?

If your concern is with the taxpayers' burden, perhaps we should be more focused on making sure the tax revenue is used more efficiently.
5/2/2014 1:47 PM

Minimum wages laws are outdated 1930s depression-era bullshit.      We, as a society, are more than happy to wipe outdated laws from the books.   This one should be next.

I have field full of strawberries to be picked, I offer $3 an hour and no one shows up.   What do I do?   I offer more or I let my strawberries rot.   Seems like a pretty simple choice. 

5/2/2014 1:50 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 5/2/2014 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Using a minimum wage job to try to support a family.  Anecdotally, for every job posting I see for a fry cook at McDonalds, I see a posting for a swing shift union position at the supermarket.  Both have the same education/job experience requirements.  I can't listen to the radio without hearing advertisements from trucking companies who promise good wages and a trip home weekly, without having to own your own rig.  Would it be fun/convenient to work swing shift or only see your family once a week?  Certainly not.  But are we interested in making sure we provide opportunity, or are we interested in making sure we provide extremely fun/convenient opportunity?

If your concern is with the taxpayers' burden, perhaps we should be more focused on making sure the tax revenue is used more efficiently.
"Using a minimum wage job to try to support a family."

What's the alternative? If you don't have an education or great experience and you have a family, you have two choices: a low paying minimum wage job or no job.

"If your concern is with the taxpayers' burden, perhaps we should be more focused on making sure the tax revenue is used more efficiently."

I feel like a large wealth transfer from tax payers to companies like Walmart and McDonalds is inefficient.

5/2/2014 2:00 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/2/2014 11:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mchalesarmy on 5/2/2014 12:32:00 AM (view original):
The cycle just continues. 

Raise minimum wage & businesses that employ many minimum wage workers (McD, Walmart, etc) pass that cost along to the consumer. Not to mention all of the Union workers whose pay will increase which will raise the prices of consumer goods manufactured by union workers.

Now the new minimum wage buys the same as it once did, but what HAS changed is the people who WERE lower middle class are now also paying more for what they consume.

So in effect you just end up pushing more and more lower middle and middle class families down the ladder and not helping the poor up the ladder.

Want to help the minimum wage earner? Help them with training and/or education, so they can move up the wage ladder.
Union workers don't (usually) make minimum wage. So union workers pay is unaffected by an increase in minimum wage.
Most unions pay scales are DIRECTLY tied to the national minimum wage.

Make no mistake. When the minimum wage is increased, the "minimum wage" in nearly every union also increases.

Furthermore, and which is why if you dig deep enough you'll find that EVERY attempt to raise the minimum wage is HEAVILY supported by Unions, UNLIKE the real world, where after two years Timmy and Tommy are now making the same wage again, unions will increase EVERY members pay, precisely to avoid the Tommy/Timmy issue.

Now put your thinking cap on and ask yourself  "why the overwhelming support for a hike in minimum wage from unions who make far more than minimum wage"?
5/2/2014 2:03 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 5/2/2014 2:00:00 PM (view original):

What's the alternative? If you don't have an education or great experience and you have a family, you have two choices: a low paying minimum wage job or no job.

"If your concern is with the taxpayers' burden, perhaps we should be more focused on making sure the tax revenue is used more efficiently."

I feel like a large wealth transfer from tax payers to companies like Walmart and McDonalds is inefficient.

I just provided alternatives.  Selective reading does not drive your point home.

I'm sure you do feel that way.  As I'm sure you don't feel that the failure of the social program(s) you apparently advocate for here (welfare, particularly) to do what they were designed to do is a contributing factor.  Unfortunately, feelings have no real world application.  The fact is that a rise in federal minimum wage adversely affects a majority of consumers (those earning more than minimum wage) by resulting in an increase in prices, as you stated yourself further back in the thread.  Most adversely affecting the lower-middle class, for whom everyone claims that they advocate.

This may come as a shock, but I would wager that I'm at least as interested in helping the poor as you are.  Where we differ is that you advocate for programs that pay the poor to continue to be poor, which is both fiscally unsustainable and a disservice to them as human beings.  I'm more in favor of programs (or tweaks to existing programs) that help get them out of poverty.

Here's a hypothetical (and a giant run-on sentence) for you:  Given today's society, if someone on welfare were making minimum wage at a 9:00 - 5:00 job while also receiving government aid under the current system, and they heard that advertisement for truck drivers I mentioned earlier on the radio, would they be more likely to tuck a little money away every month (since they have food stamps, etc. to help) to get the licensing required for a better paying job that gets them off of government assistance, or would they be more likely to continue on as they are, since the other path is pretty inconvenient?  It would seem that one answer means everything is working as intended the way it is, while the other means the current system of government assistance is broken and needs to be addressed first.  Unless, of course, you advocate for the existence of jobs everyone likes for pay everyone likes.  In which case, awesome.
5/2/2014 2:32 PM
BL doesn't like to allow trivial things such as facts get in the way of his arguments.
5/2/2014 2:35 PM
Fantasy World, USA is his mailing address.

Increase the $8 an hour worker to $11.    The people making $9-11 will be fine making $11 and the businesses paying these wages will just eat the cost.   Problem solved in Fantasy World.   What's the problem?
5/2/2014 2:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/1/2014 6:46:00 PM (view original):
It's just a math question and it's pointless to argue it with anyone as dense as BL seems to be.

Increase in labor/materials =

A)  lower profits
B) higher service charges/products

Which do you think businesses will choose?  
My G-Damned Happy Meals are twice as much as they were 10 years ago. 
5/2/2014 4:02 PM
Minimum wage worker gets $8/hour and is very poor.  Rep. Joey Dogooder screams that they need more money to survive and we need to increase the minimum wage to help those poor people.  He gets all of his populist voters to start screaming with him, after all supporting to keep poor people poor is like being in favor of clubbing baby seals.

So eventually the bill is passed under pressure to increase the minimum wage to $10/hour.  The poor people have more money, and the people making between $8.01-$9.99/hour also get more money.

Businesses have to suck up part of the losses, but not all of it, so they inch up the prices of their goods.  Still the minimum wage earners can buy a bit more and do that. With the increased demand of goods, businesses increase prices.

This is a problem, now the new minimum wage people can't afford the new prices and they are poor again.  Not only are they poor, but the schleps that made up to $10/hour are now poor, thus increasing the amount of people who are in this new situation.  Finally the middle class making $20/hour are feeling the pinch of increasing prices and have to adjust.

After all of this, the minimum wage workers are very poor.  As a result, Rep. Joey Dogooder screams that they need more money to survive and we need to increase the minimum wage to help those poor people.
5/2/2014 4:14 PM
The answer is to get people off of minimum wage, by education and rewarding people for hard work and not rewarding them for sitting on their ***** all day.  Back in the Clinton era, there were so many jobs available that you could get a job at Micky D's starting at 33% over the minimum wage.

...and to reward people is to cut their taxes so they can put more money into the marketplace and get it moving again.  It won't happen though because just about everyone in DC wants to keep it the same way as it is going.

5/2/2014 4:23 PM (edited)
Posted by examinerebb on 5/2/2014 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 5/2/2014 2:00:00 PM (view original):

I just provided alternatives.  Selective reading does not drive your point home.

I'm sure you do feel that way.  As I'm sure you don't feel that the failure of the social program(s) you apparently advocate for here (welfare, particularly) to do what they were designed to do is a contributing factor.  Unfortunately, feelings have no real world application.  The fact is that a rise in federal minimum wage adversely affects a majority of consumers (those earning more than minimum wage) by resulting in an increase in prices, as you stated yourself further back in the thread.  Most adversely affecting the lower-middle class, for whom everyone claims that they advocate.

This may come as a shock, but I would wager that I'm at least as interested in helping the poor as you are.  Where we differ is that you advocate for programs that pay the poor to continue to be poor, which is both fiscally unsustainable and a disservice to them as human beings.  I'm more in favor of programs (or tweaks to existing programs) that help get them out of poverty.

Here's a hypothetical (and a giant run-on sentence) for you:  Given today's society, if someone on welfare were making minimum wage at a 9:00 - 5:00 job while also receiving government aid under the current system, and they heard that advertisement for truck drivers I mentioned earlier on the radio, would they be more likely to tuck a little money away every month (since they have food stamps, etc. to help) to get the licensing required for a better paying job that gets them off of government assistance, or would they be more likely to continue on as they are, since the other path is pretty inconvenient?  It would seem that one answer means everything is working as intended the way it is, while the other means the current system of government assistance is broken and needs to be addressed first.  Unless, of course, you advocate for the existence of jobs everyone likes for pay everyone likes.  In which case, awesome.
"I just provided alternatives."
You provided a made up example. I seriously doubt that people look at job postings and see a minimum wage position at McDonalds and another, higher paying position at the supermarket with the same requirements, and say, "you know what, I'd rather have the shittier, lower paying job." I'm guessing someone at McDonalds couldn't get the higher paying job, or they would.

I think your position that someone supporting their family while working a minimum wage is somehow "misusing minimum wage" is ridiculous. They took the job they could get.

"Here's a hypothetical"
It's a ridiculous hypothetical. Let's add a variable. What if that person working the minimum wage job was a single parent? How much more would they have to pay for childcare if they became a truck driver?

But, let's ignore that and look at the question.

A person is working a minimum wage job, let's say they are a Walmart cashier. The job isn't great. They are on assistance and are able to get by.

They hear your ad for truckers and consider their options.

They can take the truck driving job and get paid a little more than they do now after the assistance is eliminated. But, they take on a much harder, more stressful job with much longer hours. Or they can keep the sort of ****** job they have now and not take on all that and still get by.

I know I wouldn't take the trucking job, given that choice.

Part of the goal of government assistance is to prop up wages. People won't take the ****** job with the trucking company if the difference in pay isn't much more than what they are making now when the welfare is factored in. If the trucking company wants to attract workers, it will need to increase the salary it is offering.
5/2/2014 4:32 PM
Posted by raucous on 5/2/2014 4:23:00 PM (view original):
The answer is to get people off of minimum wage, by education and rewarding people for hard work and not rewarding them for sitting on their ***** all day.  Back in the Clinton era, there were so many jobs available that you could get a job at Micky D's starting at 33% over the minimum wage.

...and to reward people is to cut their taxes so they can put more money into the marketplace and get it moving again.  It won't happen though because just about everyone in DC wants to keep it the same way as it is going.

"and to reward people is to cut their taxes so they can put more money into the marketplace and get it moving again.  It won't happen though because just about everyone in DC wants to keep it the same way as it is going."

You're right, Keynesian policies are a good way to stimulate the economy.
5/2/2014 4:38 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...127 Next ▸
Minimum Wage Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.