Minimum Wage Topic

Your argument falls apart when you try to determine the value of a dollar.

Do you want to argue that a welfare mother of three needs 20k more than Bill Gates?    Agreed.  However, I don't think our tax system should be tailored to suit needs.   Our tax system is designed to fund the government so they can provide the services that it's citizens require.   ALL of it's citizens.   It only seems right that anyone with income helps foot that bill. 
6/13/2014 12:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/13/2014 12:54:00 PM (view original):
We can do it however you want.   Still doesn't change the fact that circumstances dictate everything.    Wanna put a millionaire in his mom's basement?  OK, I don't think he would NEED more money.   But, if he's spending all his time trying to MAKE more money, he values the dollar more than I do.    Do you disagree?
HE DOES NEED MONEY BECAUSE HE OWES RANSOM BECAUSE KIDNAPPERS TOOK HIS DAUGHTER. DONT SPEAK IN GENERALITIES ABOUT THE MILLIONAIRE LIVING IN HIS MOM'S BASEMENT!
6/13/2014 12:57 PM
Well, there you go.  You had information on his situation that I did not have.   The circumstances changed.
6/13/2014 12:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/13/2014 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Your argument falls apart when you try to determine the value of a dollar.

Do you want to argue that a welfare mother of three needs 20k more than Bill Gates?    Agreed.  However, I don't think our tax system should be tailored to suit needs.   Our tax system is designed to fund the government so they can provide the services that it's citizens require.   ALL of it's citizens.   It only seems right that anyone with income helps foot that bill. 
NO THE WELFARE MOTHER OF 3 DOESN'T NEED THE MONEY BECAUSE SHE'S ABOUT TO DISCOVER THE CURE TO THE COMMON COLD. DON'T SPEAK IN GENERALITIES ABOUT THE MOTHER OF 3 ON WELFARE!
6/13/2014 1:01 PM
Well, there you go.  You had information on her situation that I did not have.   The circumstances changed.
6/13/2014 1:02 PM
I'm glad you understand.  Stop speaking in generalities and only about specific people when making points.
6/13/2014 1:03 PM

OK, I will.  But only if you stop telling us how other people value their money.     Because that's dumb.

6/13/2014 1:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/13/2014 1:07:00 PM (view original):

OK, I will.  But only if you stop telling us how other people value their money.     Because that's dumb.

I know to only speak about specific people and not about a general group of people and basing my ideas on tendencies and probabilities and averages.  So I would never tell any specific person how they value their money, because that IS dumb.
6/13/2014 1:09 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/13/2014 1:09:00 PM (view original):

I know to only speak about specific people and not about a general group of people and basing my ideas on tendencies and probabilities and averages.  So I would never tell any specific person how they value their money, because that IS dumb.
But you are willing to tell a specific income bracket that they should be taxed more because they'll miss it less?
6/13/2014 1:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/13/2014 1:19:00 PM (view original):

But you are willing to tell a specific income bracket that they should be taxed more because they'll miss it less?
You're still missing the point.

It's about how everyone values their money relative to the money they already have. This rule applies to just about anything: money, chocolate bars, shoes, square footage of your house, cars, etc.

Going from 0 to 1 unit is the biggest gain in value/utility/pleasure/whatever. Followed by 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc. Each step is slightly smaller and, when you go far enough, the curve flattens out.

There is a point where making more money, eating more chocolate bars, having a bigger house, or more shoes, or another car provides zero value to you.

Regarding specific people and things, that curve will look different. For example, tec might get positive utility from 17 pairs of shoes while burnsy only needs four pairs, but both will get to a point where owning more shoes does them no good.

If I made $1 billion this year, it's likely that making another $100,000 won't noticeably change anything.

6/13/2014 1:32 PM (edited)

OF COURSE NOT. It's dumb to speak in generalities. 
6/13/2014 1:39 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/13/2014 1:32:00 PM (view original):

You're still missing the point.

It's about how everyone values their money relative to the money they already have. This rule applies to just about anything: money, chocolate bars, shoes, square footage of your house, cars, etc.

Going from 0 to 1 unit is the biggest gain in value/utility/pleasure/whatever. Followed by 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc. Each step is slightly smaller and, when you go far enough, the curve flattens out.

There is a point where making more money, eating more chocolate bars, having a bigger house, or more shoes, or another car provides zero value to you.

Regarding specific people and things, that curve will look different. For example, tec might get positive utility from 17 pairs of shoes while burnsy only needs four pairs, but both will get to a point where owning more shoes does them no good.

If I made $1 billion this year, it's likely that making another $100,000 won't noticeably change anything.

THAT'S YOU.  THERE'S THE GUY WHO MAKES A BILLION AND HAS 12 CHILDREN AND $500 MILLION IN DEBT.  DON'T APPLY YOUR SITUATION TO EVERY BILLIONAIRE.  
6/13/2014 1:40 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/13/2014 12:09:00 PM (view original):
OK.  I can understand the idea of a dollar more on $40K as a 23 year old single guy in Kentucky, paying $650 a month in rent, partying it up, may not have as much value as later in life, when he makes $80K, but is married with a mortgage and saving money for his children's college tuition.  I understand that.  So let's say, for argument's sake, that the average guy who makes $40K has the same value on his next dollar than the average guy who makes $80K, or $150K, or $300K.  I don't agree with it, but I'll concede that for the sake of argument.

Now that said, someone who makes $25K is likely living paycheck-to-paycheck regardless of where he lives.  He values his next dollar more than income levels above him.  He needs to survive, he needs shelter, food, clothing.  

Someone who makes $1M is likely saving money, living comfortably, money probably isn't an issue for him.  If he's not, he's the exception rather than the rule.

Can you concede that the person making $1M values his next dollar less than the person making $25K? The lower class guy is concerned about paying rent, getting food.  The guy making a million will likely be going on a vacation within the next couple years.  One person needs most of his salary, another would likely be just as happy as he is now with a cut in his paycheck.
I think you are being too shortsighted....

The value of the LAST $ is that it can and should be used for retirement (or put away for future expenses like college educations which a high earner gets no subsidies or grant money for)
6/13/2014 1:41 PM
I don't think our tax system should be tailored to suit needs.   Our tax system is designed to fund the government so they can provide the services that it's citizens require.   ALL of it's citizens.   It only seems right that anyone with income helps foot that bill equally with regards to their income.

Unless, of course, we decide that paying more allows you more access.   Maybe poor people can only use roads between 3 AM and 5 AM.    Response time for police protection is 1 week.   You know, stuff like that.
6/13/2014 1:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/13/2014 1:41:00 PM (view original):
I don't think our tax system should be tailored to suit needs.   Our tax system is designed to fund the government so they can provide the services that it's citizens require.   ALL of it's citizens.   It only seems right that anyone with income helps foot that bill equally with regards to their income.

Unless, of course, we decide that paying more allows you more access.   Maybe poor people can only use roads between 3 AM and 5 AM.    Response time for police protection is 1 week.   You know, stuff like that.
What about they guy with a job in Wyoming who bikes to work through trails in the wilderness to his cabin without electricity or phones and no police for 20 miles? This citizen doesn't need the services the government is offering.  Don't generalize what the US citizen NEEDS. 
6/13/2014 1:46 PM
◂ Prev 1...63|64|65|66|67...127 Next ▸
Minimum Wage Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.