Interesting Battle Topic

Posted by scaturo on 5/6/2014 9:29:00 AM (view original):
I just asked the other coach after it was over.
I recommend this to everyone, even vets.  I typically get a positive response sitemailing afterwards, and it's usually enlightening in some way.
5/6/2014 9:38 AM
I just posted it on the conference board.   I have been in the conference for forever, I know most of the guys and it was an interesting conversation.
5/6/2014 9:54 AM
Cool! I've never gotten that detailed talking about a recruiting battle before.
5/6/2014 12:31 PM
A start should definitely favor more weight
5/6/2014 1:06 PM
Posted by acn24 on 5/5/2014 8:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/5/2014 8:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/5/2014 6:40:00 PM (view original):
Team B signed him.   

I was working  under the assumption that a start was worth roughly a CV but now I think it might be worth less than a 1.5 HV.

I don't know what the hell minutes are worth but it appears to be minimal.

In a nut shell  2 HV's and  S SVs  (or a little more than 3 HVS) are worth more than a start and 10 minutes.

(and after looking at it, I think it is a low A vs a low A-)
minutes and starts are really not worth that much... the start is under a CV but more than 1.5HV. the minutes, im not sure exactly the difference. but i basically rounded it all off and put team B up by 1 HV - maybe slightly higher - which out of 30, is like, 3-4%. considering credit can easily be worth more than that over the course of recruiting, but if you were both on him roughly the same amount the same way, its hard for that to be worth that much. i think prestige in d2 is 10% per full grade, so if you had an average A to an average A-, you'd be as close to a wash as you could get, it seems to me. but if it was a bit closer than a partial grade, its advantage team B.
Gill, does your statement on the value of starts apply to this specific battle, or just in general? I don't remember if it was Tarek or Seble told me in a ticket reply that promises carry more weight the better the school is; so a promise at my UCLA program means a lot more than the same promise at my GW program, which counts for more than a promise from my DII school, etc.
i went to respond yesterday and stopped myself. im not sure which i mean. lower divisions is where i am confident in that. did you once post that ticket on the forums? i seem to remember admin saying something like that, too... what i can't decide is if that weight is simply a product of higher prestige, or if the start from UCLA is worth more as a % of the start from GW than a cv from UCLA is from a cv from GW. 

thinking about my d1 experience, i am leaning towards guessing its only a product of prestige, an that on the relative scale in terms of CVs or HVs of one's own school, its worth the same everywhere. but when i first read your post i was like "oh yeah thats right...", but now im kind of thinking its not, that a start is worth the same everywhere on the scale of HVs/CVs from that school.
5/6/2014 1:16 PM (edited)
I once sent in a ticket regarding the value of a start and minutes. Obviously they didn't tell me the exact value in the ticket, but they did say that the value of the start is weighted to when it is offered. The earlier in a battle or just in recruiting in general the more value it has. I looked for the ticket but I must have deleted it, so take that for what it is worth.
5/7/2014 10:04 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/5/2014 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Why does distance matter?
TJ, sorry, forgot I ask this and then never looked back at the thread.
You ask who we thought won the battle...
I like to understand as much as I can about one before I try to figure out who I think would win.
Effort and prestige are nearly all that matter, however not all effort is created equal...LOL.
If one guy is 210 miles and one is 175... even tho both are "about 200 miles and nearly the same". they're not.
The amount of effort was significant for D2 programs. If A is 210 miles and about to spend his last dime, maybe he tosses a desperation 20 minutes and start on 2-3 cycles after signings began.... just to drag out a losing battle. (if that looks like the case I answer B).... remember when I ask distance I was trying to guess who won.... not just do the math quiz on totaling up effort.
If A is 10 miles away and has money left to burn... with no-one to start next season at this position. I maybe figure he put the 20 minutes and start on early, maybe even before B got into the battle. (then I like A's chances since he is just matching effort each cycle to draw out B's bank until it is gone and he signs the guy)
Most of this has been answered since in the thread... just trying to explain why I ask distance?
Hope that makes sense.
In close battles... I like to try to understand what happened and how, as much as what the effort was.
Maybe the guy pads his numbers a couple HV's that he posts on the CC. Only he and the sim really know.... and simmie won't tell..
5/7/2014 5:37 PM
I don't see how team B won that battle...
5/7/2014 7:50 PM
◂ Prev 123
Interesting Battle Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.