Self Evals: Grade Yourself as an HD Coach Topic

I've created five categories for my own self-eval. I'd be interested in seeing how (and why) other coaches rate themselves.

Recruiting: C- (losing lots of battles lately at Nova)
Player Development (through practice planning): A- (I tend to get players mostly maxed out by their SR years with me)
Team Game Planning: C+ (I have a system for where to put my +/-'s on O & D that seems to be fairly effective)
Player Game Planning: C- (I struggle with distro decisions, as well as when (& whether) to double team defensively.)
Team Development (Leaving teams better than you found them): B+ (I rarely leave a team worse than I found it now.)

OVERALL: C+
5/7/2014 6:18 PM
haha, my only problem is that I care too much...

OVERALL: A

5/7/2014 6:24 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 5/7/2014 6:24:00 PM (view original):

What about in the individual categories I proposed?
5/7/2014 6:27 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/7/2014 6:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by nachopuzzle on 5/7/2014 6:24:00 PM (view original):

What about in the individual categories I proposed?
oh, I saw them, that was a blanket statement on my part.

P.S. it's the off-season, so after a couple more PBRs maybe I'll get a little more introspective.
5/7/2014 6:32 PM
It'd be nice to be an overall "A" level coach, but I don't think I'll ever achieve that. I just can't seem to get a complete handle on the game-planning side of things.
5/7/2014 6:34 PM
Recruiting:  D+ (I suck, even with A+ prestige)
Development:  A- (Everyone gets maxed out in every category, not giving myself A+ because I could probably improve cores quicker)
Team Game Planning: B+ 
Player Game Planning: A (I can target your weakness, and protect mine, and feel very comfortable setting up for a game)
Team Development:  C- (I suck in full conferences and can never improve my team--due to my D+ recruiting)

Overall:  B+  I'm not in the top tier of coaches, but I'm probably in the second tier.
5/7/2014 7:09 PM
I'd put myself as a B+, recruiting and team game plan likely hold me back from going all the way. I would not consider B+ a tier 2 coach though. I would see it as Tier 3 at best. Tier 2 is a coach that normally make sweet 16 sometimes 8, and occasionally get to final four or better. Tier 3 would be normally in the NT, usually a 2nd rd to sweet 16, but once in awhile gets past that. Tier 1 to me is a guy who is normally at least elite 8 and many final fours.

Recruiting - B - I'm not aggressive enough to go after pulldowns so I miss some of the elite players.
Development - B+ - I max most guys, but sometimes I miss it.
Team Plan - B - I have solid +/-, but don't do enough opponent individual game planning. I play in solid conferences, and generally stay competitive.
Player Plan - B - I feel like my distros are good, but I get players that just dont seem to meet expectations despite their ratings
Team Development -  A - I've never left a team worst than I found it, but usually dont leave teams in the first place.

5/7/2014 7:18 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Interesting posts, guys! As far as "tiers" go, I'm probably right in the middle, maybe just a bit above average. I do well in half-full conferences, but struggle to get into the upper tier of full conferences.
5/7/2014 7:18 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/7/2014 7:15:00 PM (view original):
Is it possible to not be good at development? Pretty much all you have to be able to do is see colors and do basic math. 
Knowing how to distribute practice time to maximize potentials IS an acquired skill, yes.
5/7/2014 7:19 PM
Is it possible to not be good at development? Pretty much all you have to be able to do is see colors and do basic math. 
I would say it should be impossible to not be good at it, because it is as you say, but my struggle tends to be negligence where I stop paying attention when a guy hits the black and I end up with a non core category that might still be blue near the end because I didn't switch minutes early enough.
5/7/2014 7:21 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/7/2014 7:19:00 PM (view original):
Knowing how to distribute practice time to maximize potentials IS an acquired skill, yes.
Certainly not a tough one then. If it's red, don't practice it much. If it's blue, practice it a lot. If it's black...eh depends on what other options you have or how important the attribute is.

Player development IRL is very much a skill and one that a lot of coaches lack, but on this game pretty much everyone gets to the same IQ level and potential ratings are impossible to miss so deciding what to practice is pretty easy.
5/7/2014 7:22 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/7/2014 7:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/7/2014 7:19:00 PM (view original):
Certainly not a tough one then. If it's red, don't practice it much. If it's blue, practice it a lot. If it's black...eh depends on what other options you have or how important the attribute is.

Player development IRL is very much a skill and one that a lot of coaches lack, but on this game pretty much everyone gets to the same IQ level and potential ratings are impossible to miss so deciding what to practice is pretty easy.
There are different combos of "maintenance" practice levels, even for reds, depending upon work ethic, intelligence, etc. While it's certainly not the TOUGHEST part of HD coaching, it's not simply mindless drivel either.
5/7/2014 7:25 PM
This is more related to D1, I have won two championships at D3, I have had success at D2 but I think D1 is where the real challenge is. 

Recruiting: (B-) I have been able to find diamonds in the rough at Boston U and Louisville, but I have struggled when battling for the Five star recruits.
Player Development: (A-) I try and stay on top of maximizing player development and moving minutes as needed.  
Team Game Planning: (B) I feel like I am more likely to upset a team than be upset, which I think is a good thing. 
Player Game Planning: (B-) I have tried improving in this aspect since I have been at high D1 and I am still learning. 
Overall: (B) I think I am a solid coach, but I think I have a lot to learn about being in a Big 6 conference. 
5/7/2014 7:52 PM
I might have to revise this a few times to make this readable. Here's how my most recent 50 seasons have ended in the 5 worlds where I have played in the previous 10 seasons. 1 is most recent, 10 is 10 seasons ago. Every season is at a D1 BCS school.

NT CH NT RU NT FF NT EE NT 16 NT 2nd NT 1st Total NT APP PIT CH PIT RU PIT FF PIT 3rd PIT 2nd PIT 1st Total PIT APP No Postseason
1     1     2 1             1    
2           1 2         1   1    
3       1 1 1 1       1          
4 1       2   1         1        
5         3 2                    
6           3         1     1    
7         1 2       1   1        
8           2 2         1        
9           2 2         1        
10           1 1         1       2
  1   1 1 7 16 10 36   1 2 6   3 12 2

50 seasons. 1 Championship. 36/50 are in the NT. 48/50 are in the postseason, with the two non postseason appearances about to be lopped off. Most NT appearances end with a quick exit. So I don't know how you grade it. B+/A-?
5/7/2014 7:55 PM (edited)
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Self Evals: Grade Yourself as an HD Coach Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.