Self Evals: Grade Yourself as an HD Coach Topic

I'll be interested to read that post! Love those low work ethic player development posts people put up from time to time.
5/10/2014 8:20 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/10/2014 8:20:00 PM (view original):
I'll be interested to read that post! Love those low work ethic player development posts people put up from time to time.
I have a 8 WE guy on my Creighton team. He has improved 5 points including 1 WE.
5/10/2014 8:28 PM
Posted by terps21234 on 5/10/2014 8:28:00 PM (view original):
I have a 8 WE guy on my Creighton team. He has improved 5 points including 1 WE.
A freshman? Is he starting for you?
5/10/2014 8:34 PM
Also, if you haven't already, you should find some of those other low WE posts on the forum. I think TrentonJoe is the main guy that's put together those, as far as I've seen.
5/10/2014 8:40 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/10/2014 8:40:00 PM (view original):
Also, if you haven't already, you should find some of those other low WE posts on the forum. I think TrentonJoe is the main guy that's put together those, as far as I've seen.
Eight is tough unless you start him. I would expect about 3-5 points of growth from him in the blue categories.

This guy came in at 12 and starter 23 games. His blues grew 6-8 points.

Athleticism 57 +4 Rating Increase
Speed 64 +6 Rating Increase
Rebounding 10 Rating Decrease -2
Defense 37 +6 Rating Increase
Shot Blocking 1

Low-post 12

Perimeter 33 +8 Rating Increase
Ball Handling 59

Passing 26 +8 Rating Increase
Work Ethic 15 +3 Rating Increase
Stamina 72 +5 Rating Increase
Durability 79
5/11/2014 8:30 AM
oldave on oldave

Team Vision (B ) : im not as awful at this as i am at some other things

Recruiting ( B ) :  seems like nearly every recruiting session i look back and realize i should have done some things differently.  i guess thats true for most folks though.  maybe im slightly better than i give myself credit for though, because once i have been at a school for a while, i almost always think i have better players than just about anyone else and its just my gameplanning deficiencies (or perhaps it is just fate---see below) that cause me to stumble time after time

Team Setup ( B) : not sure what this means but ill give myself a B   ... actually i guess i should give myself and F since i dont even udnerstand the question.

offensive individual player gameplanning (distribution) (a+)   -  i think i am without peers when it comes to creating the most efficient offesnive distributions possible.  i figure this generally gains me somewhere between a 0.1 and 0.2 point advantage over the opposing coach.  with that going for me,  its kind of hard to see how i ever lose.

Team Game Planning ( F)  oddly enough, i dont think there is anyone who thinks about gameplanning more than me.  and i feel like i understand gameplanning.,   but i can be incredibly indecisive.  in fact maybe i dont understand it at all.     actually im not all that indecisive i guess.   well, yeah, i guess maybe i am... i think.
 i had to stop running hybrid defenses such as zone press becuase there are so many options it makes my head spin.  even a normal zone with 3-2 and 2-3 is dangerous territory.  but zone for me is a little like heroin (or diet dr pepper)... i know i should stop,  but it keeps dragging me back in.

Scheduling (A- ) : i think i do ok with scheduling.  i know how to search out the rpi-booster teams, i can create  a noncon that will allow my youngsters to develop while still winning most games when i have young team.   and i accept most challenges and try to establish some rivalries.  i know whihc years i can welcome all challengers and create a really high sos,  and which years that wouldnt be so smart

Player Development ( B+ ) :Im pretty decent at this,  but a couple of things i wish i did better.... first, monitoring progress and knowing each players max potential.  ive almost set up an auto spreadsheet to track this probably a hundred times.  almost.  second,  im too conservative on study hall.  im getting better but i still get nervous when gpa is under 3.0.  i dont think ive ever lost a player to grades,  but i should be able to get gpas in the 2.6 - 2.7 range and still maintain 100% eligibility, but it just makes me nervous.  i think this is the one area where kelby is better than me.  probably becuase in real life he is used to seeing 2.3s and 2.4s so it really doesnt bother him.   i also probably tinker way toooooo much.   today i might have a kid at 16 minutes of DE and and 19 minutes of conditioning, and then tomorrow i decide that 17-DE and 18-con would be far far better,   and then the next day i might change it back again.

Overall ( C) :  gotten into some good situations a time or two and did a decent job.  but i cannot begin to tell you how many times i should have been fired.  syracuse-tark shoulda fired me at least 5 times.   and greensboro tark of late should have fired me after each of my first 3 seasons there.  i feel guilty nearly every time i look at that team and what i have done to it.

postseason (F-)  im pretty sure i am the worst NT coach of all time.  maybe my favorite year was undefeated #1 rpi and #1 ranked and lose in the first round.  and, no, i didnt forget to gameplan... probably spent 30 minutes gameplanning on that one.  there have been countless other agonizing failures,  but i think that one was my favorite.

i just realized there is one other area where kelby is better than me.  i dont want to call it "luck", as that would be disrespecful.  
maybe HDtheology?  we all know that there is an HDgod (or gods for those who believe HD is polytheistic).  i think most of us realize that this deity or deity holds our entire HD fate in his or thier hands.  i have come to realize that certain coaches (in particular mister kelby_03) have learnt how to offer sacrifices and such or have figured some other methods for getting in touch with the alpha and omega of HD and thus are able to win far more often than the data suggests they should.   as for me, i apparently have committed some mortal sin somewhere along the way and have been banished to HD purgatory forevermore. i think maybe i ate an apple.  is it hot in here or is it just me?  needless to say,  i give myself a zero on a 1 to 100 scale in this category.

i would also like to give myself an A+ in self evaluation.  I pretty much agree with everything i just said.         mostly
5/11/2014 10:33 AM
also,  i am pretty doggone good at team evaluation and job selection.  
case in point is tark year 1
with 384 d3 teams up for grabs, the team i pick takes me to the NC championship game.  the HDgods, of course, could not let me win that game, especially against the legendary Plumpy.  but nonetheless i did a pretty good job of picking the right team.
5/11/2014 10:38 AM
Okay, I'm pretty sure that the last two posts by Oldave have been my favorite two posts of this thread--and that's saying something, since I've loved reading through this thread! Thanks, Dave, both for being candid in your assessment of yourself, and also for being REALLY entertaining while doing so!
5/11/2014 10:43 AM
Recruiting:  A.  I'm probably the best in hd history at sending packages with benjamin's to top recruits.  Seriously though, this is one of my strongest suits, I probably would be an A+ if I didn't get enamored with big men who could nail 3's.  
Player Development: A+.  This is really a default grade.  This year all but one of my players improved 50+ or more.  I recruit a decent amount of high upside guys and jucos, so, my teams usually stink in the non-con and are pretty decent by the end of the year.
Team Game Planning: F.  I often make the Charlie Murphy error and underestimate my opponents.
Player Game Planning: B.  I don't tinker with stuff as much as I used to do.  I am much better at stopping individual players than I am at exploiting good offensive matchups. 
Team Vision: A-.  I usually don't make short-sighted decisions.
Overall:B+/A-.  I think I used to be better, but I haven't put in the necessary time to make dominate teams.  Still, my teams are pretty solid.  
5/11/2014 11:46 AM
thank you, wc!  
and kudos to you for reading one of my posts in its entirity without falling asleep halfway through!  

Dr. Gil and I are in a tight contest to see who can garner more "tl;dr" replies.  i think hes winning but probably due to higher volume.  i kept seeing this "tl;dr" all the time and had no idea what it meant until i googled it.  in fairness, i hve never really disagreed with anyone who replied that way about one of my posts or texts or emails.  heck, sometimes its hard to stay awake when im WRITING it!

47... i tried to watch the youtube, but, for some odd reason, i never did get Dave Chapelle.  not sure why.
i got bored after about a minute and shut it off.
5/11/2014 1:10 PM
Dave-

I had a team go in to the NT #!1 ranking, #1 RPI #1 SOS. Lost in the 2nd round and still finished the season #1 in RPI and SOS.

That's some poor postseason coaching!
5/11/2014 1:18 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/7/2014 6:18:00 PM (view original):
I've created five categories for my own self-eval. I'd be interested in seeing how (and why) other coaches rate themselves.

Recruiting: C- (losing lots of battles lately at Nova)
Player Development (through practice planning): A- (I tend to get players mostly maxed out by their SR years with me)
Team Game Planning: C+ (I have a system for where to put my +/-'s on O & D that seems to be fairly effective)
Player Game Planning: C- (I struggle with distro decisions, as well as when (& whether) to double team defensively.)
Team Development (Leaving teams better than you found them): B+ (I rarely leave a team worse than I found it now.)

OVERALL: C+
Recruiting: B- I love recruiting, although I'm not very patient.
Player development: A- I tend to get players mostly maxed out by their SR years with me.
Player Game planning: C I'm average at distro.
Team Development: B+ I rarely leave a team, but in Phelan I did a good job of leaving teams in a favorable position to win.
Team Game planning: D- I can't seem to win a "must-win" game anymore. If ever. I've had a few good runs in the NT, but not as many for someone with my experience.

OVERALL: C-
5/11/2014 4:03 PM (edited)
nice oldave =) but wait... greensboro, tark? does that mean narcotico retired? uhg, that sucks :(
5/11/2014 4:18 PM
joe, joe, joe....

i hope you are not trying to compare your misery to mine, my friend.   you surely know that is a losing battle.
when i get a few minutes or hours i will elaborate on my woes even though i know that nobody really cares.
 sometimes it makes me feel better to know that i am the most miserable loser in HD history.  

i guess you could say im only truly happy when im miserable.

5/12/2014 7:20 AM
BillyG...  ummm, ....
narc left gboro about 10 seasons ago.  i guess he figured 9 NCs and 54 straight NT appearances was enough.

TRrrr took over in season 83 and coached for 5 seasons including 0086 when gboro lost in the NC game.  
he made it to at least the second round of the NT each year which ran Gboros streak to 15 straight years in the seocnd round and 60 straight in the NT.

oldavey took over in 0088 and promptly destroyed the A+++ program the other guys had built up.  First year- PIT (should have been fired)  second year- round one loss (should have been fired) and third year managed to win one NT game with a top10 team (should have been fired).   this year is going pretty good so far,  but im sure ill find a way to screw it up.

for those too young to remember,  narcotico three-peated twice at gboro and was going for a third when he lost in the title game.
 but he did get that ninth one two years later.  
he started at gboro in 0026 and went to nt round one in first year and pit in second.  then was fairly impressive from 0028 to 0042 with NT every year and three or four final4s and several more e8s.   

but from year 0043 through 0060, narc dominated tark like bugs bunny pitching to the gashouse gorillas.
during those 18 years, he won 9 NCs,  was runnerup once and had a couple other final fours.
also, he made at least the sweet16 every year in that span  (actually that sw16 streak was 22 seasons altogether)
this might be the most impressive stat to me... during those 18 years, he averaged 4.5 NT wins per season.  think about that. ... that means a final four appearance was a subpar year unless he advanced to title game.  wow.
in a 27 year stretech, he finsihed with a single digit rpi 24 times.. including one stretch of 12 straight years with single digit rpi

he cooled off a bit from 0061 until he retired in  0083 but still made the NT every year and averaged about 2 NT wins per year and made a crapload of of e8s and one more final 4.  but never again had a dominant team. 

rest in peace, mr narcotico, we hardly knew ye.

5/12/2014 7:55 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Self Evals: Grade Yourself as an HD Coach Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.