Boyhood Hero League Snake Draft LG (Need 5) Topic

bump
5/17/2014 1:18 AM
Question:  Come the draft do the "older" folks have an advantage?  "Kids" like me born in '69 we can' t select Mantle in the draft?  Or if i get a high pick can i select any player nominated?  Help?
5/17/2014 1:36 AM
Draft is exactly that your list puts people in the pool.  The snake draft allows you to pick anyone's favorite not just your own.  If you want to draft Mantle you can.  No guarantee any of your favorites will end up on your team.  
5/17/2014 7:07 AM
man, lots of old farts like me in this one!

DOB 1955
C Johnny Bench
1B Ted Kluszewski
2B Joe Morgan
3B Pete Rose
OF Griffey, Jr
OF George Foster
OF Willie Mays
P Greg Maddux
P Ron Guidry
P Chris Carpenter
P Justin Verlander
RP Aroldis Chapman

first game  1964 Reds vs. Braves @ Crosley Field WC= Hank Aaron

DH - yes

5/17/2014 9:59 AM
Welcome Specsman!!
5/17/2014 5:15 PM
Posted by specsman on 5/17/2014 10:00:00 AM (view original):
man, lots of old farts like me in this one!

DOB 1955
C Johnny Bench
1B Ted Kluszewski
2B Joe Morgan
3B Pete Rose
OF Griffey, Jr
OF George Foster
OF Willie Mays
P Greg Maddux
P Ron Guidry
P Chris Carpenter
P Justin Verlander
RP Aroldis Chapman

first game  1964 Reds vs. Braves @ Crosley Field WC= Hank Aaron

DH - yes

Don't forget your SS
5/17/2014 5:18 PM
bump

5/18/2014 12:22 PM
Doing the bump
5/18/2014 6:22 PM
bump

5/19/2014 1:12 PM
bump

5/20/2014 12:08 AM
Favorite players are restricted to players after your birthdate ? I was born in 1946 but Gehringer became one of my favorite players based on what I read about him.
5/20/2014 5:53 PM
Posted by rback on 5/20/2014 5:53:00 PM (view original):
Favorite players are restricted to players after your birthdate ? I was born in 1946 but Gehringer became one of my favorite players based on what I read about him.
Never mind just saw the note
5/20/2014 5:56 PM
I too was a fan of the Mechanical Man but I never could have seen him play so he can't be on my team.  Sorry.  Couple of cool snippets on Gehringer from Wikipedia:

Gehringer had a reputation as quiet and unassuming. Player-manager Mickey Cochrane joked that "Charlie says `hello' on Opening Day, `goodbye' on closing day, and in between hits .350."

Gehringer did not marry until after his mother died, and when he did get married in 1949, he did not let anything stand in the way—not even his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Gehringer missed his Hall of Fame induction ceremony on June 13, 1949, because he did not want it to interfere with his wedding, which was to take place five days later.

5/20/2014 6:33 PM
Since Graig Nettles is my all time favorite player, I thought I would add 5 Nettles Quotes:

1) "From Cy Young to sayonara in one season."
--Graig Nettles, on Sparky Lyle going from winning the Cy Young Award to being traded a year later by the Yankees

2) "The key to beating the Dodgers is to keep them form hugging each other too much."
--Graig Nettles, on the Dodgers during the Tommy LaSorda era

3) "The advantage of playing in New York is getting to watch Reggie Jackson play every day. And the disadvantage is in getting to watch Reggie Jackson play every day."
--Graig Nettles

4) "When I was a kid I wanted to play baseball and join the circus. With the Yankees, I've been able to do both."
--Graig Nettles

5) "What the Yankees need is a second base coach."
--Graig Nettles, on poor base running by the Yankees

5/20/2014 6:46 PM
I like this idea. If you will have me, I'd like to give it a shot.

DOB: 1957
1st Game: 1963 Tigers vs Angels at Dodger Stadium
DH: Yes

C: Gary Carter
1B: Boog Powell
2B: Bobby Grich
3B: Brooks Robinson
SS: Robin Yount
OF: Tim Raines
OF: Larry Walker
OF: Frank Robinson
WC: Willie Mays
P: Jim Palmer
P: Randy Johnson
P: Juan Marichal
P: Joe Horlen
RP: Rollie Fingers
5/20/2014 9:52 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸
Boyhood Hero League Snake Draft LG (Need 5) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.