D1 vs D2 prestige Topic

I entered into a battle for a recruit against a D1 school. I coach at D2. Big mistake?

The D1 program has a human coach with a D prestige. I have a B prestige in D2.

How much of an advantage is he at with the recruit being at D1? Because his prestige is a D... does that cancel out most of that advantage?

Also, I know that D1 has a lot more dough to throw at recruits. But this coach has 9 open scholarships with 18 recruits considering his school right now. So, I figured his cash is a bit spread out.

Am I at a major disadvantage in this battle?

5/11/2014 4:01 PM
distance? how many openings you got?

his prestige is a pretty significant, but not overwhelming, advantage. what gives him a huge edge is the (at least) 90k he started with. you can get a guy to consider you for very little, he could have as little as 2,000 dollars into those 18 recruits, but even if he has a couple k each, that might only be 36k. so, even if hes spread out, he probably has more than enough money to bury you. that said, being after 18 recruits, theres got to be a decent chance he doesn't even want the guy, right? and if hes in other battles, and you have a lot of money to roll the dice with (10-20k, or a good amount and a substantial distance advantage), he may just not want the guy bad enough to fight you for him. basically, if he really wants him, you have zero chance... but thats a big if :) 
5/11/2014 4:14 PM
Yes you should stop right now in fact you should send that human coach a gift certificate as an apology for battling with him.

SERIOUS ANSWER NOW

The prestige difference is a LOT less than you would think. At times for me it seems like there is not prestige advantage for a D1 club. After recruiting i'll gladly share information with you on what i spent so you get an idea of what the advantage is.
5/11/2014 4:15 PM
Isn't the best way to guess whether or not the D-I team wants him to look at the Word on the Street? Not a perfect solution since he may have just done enough to get considered then not had to do more, but it tells you how much work has already been put in, right?
5/11/2014 4:20 PM
Word on the street would be a good idea. But the recruit's in Canada. So that's not happening.

Thank you, gillispie... That's helpful. So now the question is tanner... how much do you really want him? Haha. :-)
5/11/2014 4:26 PM
I suppose I should act like I never saw this exchange from the two teams in World Allen. Frankly, I don't find it a joke when two coach's openly (which I guess is better than secretly)  discuss a recruit named Dugger in Montreal they are both recruiting.
5/11/2014 4:55 PM (edited)
Tania... I wrote Haha with a :-) at the end of that post. I don't expect tanner to answer how much he really wants Dugger. I took the risk of him finding this thread when i posted it on an open forum.

Seeing as how I have not been in this situation before I needed feedback about the $ advantage in D1. And I got it, didn't I? Very helpful.

Oh, and take a chill pill. xoxo
5/11/2014 4:58 PM
I understood the purpose of the thread. There was nothing wrong with it and I was interested in others thoughts on the values. But then, even in jest, you decided to test your luck. What if he answered? would that change your strategy? He still might answer your 'joke'.

There is nothing funny about cheating.
5/11/2014 5:02 PM
I took over a team with a lot of recruiting $ from the previous coach. Tanner might already know that because he was coaching in that conference last season.

My strategy is to throw my good chunk of cash at Dugger. All of it.

Nope! If tanner answered my joke, it wouldn't change my strategy. He's in a lot of battles right now and think I've got the $ to win.

Again, chill pill. :-)
5/11/2014 5:21 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 5/11/2014 5:21:00 PM (view original):
I took over a team with a lot of recruiting $ from the previous coach. Tanner might already know that because he was coaching in that conference last season.

My strategy is to throw my good chunk of cash at Dugger. All of it.

Nope! If tanner answered my joke, it wouldn't change my strategy. He's in a lot of battles right now and think I've got the $ to win.

Again, chill pill. :-)
You did nothing wrong. It was a joke--and clearly one--and should be understood as nothing more than that.
5/11/2014 5:47 PM
Fine. A joke
5/11/2014 5:50 PM
Posted by taniajane on 5/11/2014 5:50:00 PM (view original):
Fine. A joke
Yes, a joke.
5/11/2014 5:55 PM

A teenage boy is getting ready to take his girlfriend to the prom. First he goes to rent a tux, but there’s a long tux line at the shop and it takes forever.

Next, he has to get some flowers, so he heads over to the florist and there’s a huge flower line there. He waits forever but eventually gets the flowers.

Then he heads out to rent a limo. Unfortunately, there’s a large limo line at the rental office, but he’s patient and gets the job done.

Finally, the day of the prom comes. The two are dancing happily and his girlfriend is having a great time. When the song is over, she asks him to get her some punch, so he heads over to the punch table and there’s no punchline.

5/11/2014 6:22 PM
did he cheat to get ahead of the line?
5/11/2014 8:05 PM
Let everyone know who wins battle for Dugger. Since that is what the tread was suppose to be about
5/11/2014 8:07 PM
12 Next ▸
D1 vs D2 prestige Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.