D1 vs D2 prestige Topic

Posted by tannermcc on 5/11/2014 6:22:00 PM (view original):

A teenage boy is getting ready to take his girlfriend to the prom. First he goes to rent a tux, but there’s a long tux line at the shop and it takes forever.

Next, he has to get some flowers, so he heads over to the florist and there’s a huge flower line there. He waits forever but eventually gets the flowers.

Then he heads out to rent a limo. Unfortunately, there’s a large limo line at the rental office, but he’s patient and gets the job done.

Finally, the day of the prom comes. The two are dancing happily and his girlfriend is having a great time. When the song is over, she asks him to get her some punch, so he heads over to the punch table and there’s no punchline.

Obviously offtopic. Where's wildcat98's suggestion to redline?
5/11/2014 9:18 PM
Posted by taniajane on 5/11/2014 5:02:00 PM (view original):
I understood the purpose of the thread. There was nothing wrong with it and I was interested in others thoughts on the values. But then, even in jest, you decided to test your luck. What if he answered? would that change your strategy? He still might answer your 'joke'.

There is nothing funny about cheating.
if he answered, tanner would get in trouble for colluding, and maybe craig as well, even though he was clearly asking in jest. there is absolutely no question in the minds of anyone here, if tanner would be allowed to answer that question - and if he answered, seble would be informed, and he'd get in trouble.

but, because this is so obvious to everyone here... this joke should be harmless. i don't know why you are so up in arms about this stuff all the sudden. you jumped all over my **** for - and yes, it is this ridiculous, im not dramatizing - trying to convince another coach that asking a coach who is a backup target SHOULDNT be allowed. SHOULDNT BE. now you are all upset over joke, that clearly did not have bad intentions. come on man... you are not helping your cause here. you are just making the hardline anti collusion folks look like dicks by jumping all over people for nothing, and in doing so, you are actually *hurting* the anti-collusion "movement", if you will. you are really taking stuff out of context here, nobody is trying to promote collusion here, please understand that...
5/11/2014 9:41 PM
i dont think the intentions were bad.  and nothing really happened to make a big deal of in this particular case.

but in general i agree with jane here.

im not sure if its written anywhere as a guideline of fairplay, etc,  but i think it is allways best to avoid any discussion that contains enough specifics that it is clear that it pertains to a current recruiting period.  the only exception i would make is in a mentor type situation when the mentor is not involved in that division/world and that would obviously be a private communication.

so i guess im actually more extreme than jane... i think there WAS something wrong with the original intent of the thread, even though i realize that alton had no bad intentions and was asking an innocent question.

5/12/2014 7:15 AM
I suppose I cant see the point of two coaches even discussing a recruit they are both going after. Perhaps this was a joke between them. But if was not, I don't think, 'Opps, I was just kidding' is a reasonable excuse.
5/12/2014 10:42 AM
Posted by oldave on 5/12/2014 7:15:00 AM (view original):
i dont think the intentions were bad.  and nothing really happened to make a big deal of in this particular case.

but in general i agree with jane here.

im not sure if its written anywhere as a guideline of fairplay, etc,  but i think it is allways best to avoid any discussion that contains enough specifics that it is clear that it pertains to a current recruiting period.  the only exception i would make is in a mentor type situation when the mentor is not involved in that division/world and that would obviously be a private communication.

so i guess im actually more extreme than jane... i think there WAS something wrong with the original intent of the thread, even though i realize that alton had no bad intentions and was asking an innocent question.

in general, i agree its dangerous, and should be avoided or approached very cautiously. the problem is having silence during recruiting in general sucks, as it is the most active time for most coaches, many coaches have commented they already feel compelled not to say anything and for many, that it puts a bit of a damper on the enthusiasm that comes naturally during recruiting.

i think craig kind of screwed himself, generally the d1 coach would probably assume that guy was going away, now he has to think twice. so i think that was probably a mistake, but looking at the response by tanner and further response by craig, it seems very innocent, with no additional exchange of information. the original post to me is the most dangerous, as information is revealed about a recruiting situation, which i suppose really is not allowed. however, people come on here to ask recruiting questions all the time, and i don't think that should be stopped. if it turns into the same coaches over and over, and they start to abuse a possibly loophole in the system... thats different.

all in all, i am not totally comfortable with exchanges between coaches during recruiting, partly because one innocent exchange i had about 5 years ago caused a couple people to get upset, and i guess things aren't always taken as intended. its probably better if these exchanges with both coaches don't happen... but i think they toed the line well enough, and im afraid the downside risk of being too hard of these things is to stop all communication during recruiting, which is pretty unfortunate, it seems to me. i think a black and white stance could be taken that this isn't allowed, that you can't ask questions during recruiting about recruiting, and a very small amount of "information spillage" could be reduced. is it worth it? that is where i struggle. on the whole, i think these types of threads are helpful to the OP, and generally, if someone gets hurt, its the OP, so i am not really for ending these kinds of threads in the absolute pursuit of no information exchange whatsoever.
5/12/2014 12:41 PM (edited)
Posted by craigaltonw on 5/11/2014 5:21:00 PM (view original):
I took over a team with a lot of recruiting $ from the previous coach. Tanner might already know that because he was coaching in that conference last season.

My strategy is to throw my good chunk of cash at Dugger. All of it.

Nope! If tanner answered my joke, it wouldn't change my strategy. He's in a lot of battles right now and think I've got the $ to win.

Again, chill pill. :-)
actually... now i have to start to back pedal. at this point i do think its going too far. i guess the last i saw was tania's post which i disagreed with, as the above was up to that point, the kind of awkward toe-stepping exchange you often see when one coach realizes the readers include the "opposing coach". i suppose the threat of conversations continuing is always prevalent in these kind of situations. its definitely best for both coaches to stop talking once they realize the other coach is there, because you never know how things might be taken. but im not even sure this post can be construed as innocent in intent... you definitely can't announce your plans. 

my bad for not continuing to read... and apologies to taniajane, i do think you jumped on them too early, but i definitely see where you are coming from, and while i still would have voiced my disagreement with your early jumping, i definitely was too one sided in that response, given how things proceeded. i suppose our earlier disagreement left me a little biased in this situation, sorry about that.
5/12/2014 12:53 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 12
D1 vs D2 prestige Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.