.500 Record Requirement for D1 Postseason(Poll) Topic

I sent the following sitemail following Virginia Tech's 8-19 season being rewarded with a PIT berth:

5/10/2014 5:11 AM stinenavy
This is not in regards to my Utah team, but it is for a different team in Iba:

Virginia Tech http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/History.aspx?tid=6182

This team went 8-19 and was rewarded with a postseason berth. Regardless of who they faced or what teams they beat there's no reason for a team that won 42% of their games to make the postseason.

I generally have resisted the efforts of some on the forums to institute a ban on sub .500 teams from making the PIT, but I think with situations like Virginia Tech, the fact that 9 teams with sub .500 records in Big 6 conferences made the PIT, and with the huge disparity in postseason money from Big 6 to the other 21 conferences (with an exception or two), merits real consideration.

Thank You.
5/12/2014 11:15 AM Customer Support
Kevin,

Thanks for the note. This is probably the absolute extreme scenario for a team to make the post-season. It's always a tough line to draw because we want to reward the best teams. The fact that this team won a game means that there is a valid argument that they belonged. 

We're open to adding a restriction if that's the majority feeling of the HD community.
5/12/2014 2:05 PM stinenavy
Is there a way that there can be a .500 restriction for D1 only? Or would it have to effect all three divisions?
5/12/2014 5:00 PM Customer Support
It's possible to have a DI-only restriction, but we generally try to keep things as consistent as possible between divisions.

I want to stress that this poll is for D1 only. Here's a thread from a year ago. The first 5 pages are good, then it veers off. www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx The comments have a favorable response for a ban on sub .500 D1 schools, but not so much for D2/D3. I voted "no" on that poll, mainly because I wanted to see bigger changes, but at this point I'd be willing to take a chip out of the mountain.
5/12/2014 5:25 PM
Should there be a requirement to be .500 or above to make the postseason in Division 1?

Votes: 101
(Last vote received: 5/27/2014 10:14 PM)
5/12/2014 5:26 PM
with all kinds of situations in my HD experience where there were teams in conference trying to hit .500 to make the NT - i would say, definitely not. this has improved with the new projection report, but im still a firm no. if you are going to put a limit in place, i would think it would have to be a lower bar than the NT bar, it doesn't make sense for a guy to be in a situation where one loss can take him from the NT all the way down to no post season. im not sure if i would support a .400 or something limit, but i minimally would not be strongly opposed. 
5/12/2014 6:01 PM (edited)
I can not see the last choice...I see yes, no opinion  and....
5/12/2014 6:00 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/12/2014 6:01:00 PM (view original):
with all kinds of situations in my HD experience where there were teams in conference trying to hit .500 to make the NT - i would say, definitely not. this has improved with the new projection report, but im still a firm no. if you are going to put a limit in place, i would think it would have to be a lower bar than the NT bar, it doesn't make sense for a guy to be in a situation where one loss can take him from the NT all the way down to no post season. im not sure if i would support a .400 or something limit, but i minimally would not be strongly opposed. 
Does not the The Super conferences have enough benefits already? Sorry, their schedule I am sure is brutal in conference. They could plan a non conference schedule that would certainly equal better than .500 at seasons end without that much effort. Yet they are awarded putting in zero effort to reach .500? And their conference is rewarded at the expense of coaches in the lower conferences and their conferences again?

This is not close to reality.
 I seriously believe that the people in the worlds super conferences are happy with sub .500 knowing they will never be fired, and to heck with the people that are in lower conferences. They care less if that discourages Humans from playing the site. Yet they talk and talk a big game about it.

I find them to be hypocrites in this and many other items.
5/12/2014 6:15 PM (edited)
if you think the guys going under .500 in major conferences are happy to stay where they are, all i can assume is, you have never been there yourself :)

i'm generally on the side of reducing power conference advantages, and increasing firings - so i sympathize with you there. however, i don't think it makes sense to allow a 13-13 team who is in the NT, to lose in the round 1 of the CT and drop all the way to no post season. i could probably get behind a lower limit, that would get rid of these 8-19 teams (who i agree should not be in the PIT, even though they are generally rare in the first place).

generally, i just disagree with your characterization of coaches in power conferences, altogether... 

5/12/2014 7:31 PM (edited)
Well no BillyG the guys that are there deserve to be there, and go 8 and 19 and get post season money. They are fantastic. We all should bow to them.
5/12/2014 7:12 PM
Give me a break. Many Div 1's  Super coferences are clogged with slogs not great coachs. They would be fired in a heart beat in real world. Yet Billy G thinks the status quo is just fine.

8-19 would get most coaches fired....with the benefits that those conferences have that are NOT true in real life.
5/12/2014 7:16 PM
if they won 42% of their games, maybe.  that would have been 11-16.  that team only won 29.6% of their games
5/12/2014 7:18 PM
VT won a game in the PIT because they beat a D2 VMI team
5/12/2014 7:21 PM
I am not singling out VT. He is rebuilding...others are stagnant
5/12/2014 7:23 PM
But he does not, nor his conference deserve any post season play. His team is an avg 643 team. I have better in my League and even conference....that would beat him including a sim
5/12/2014 7:31 PM (edited)
Posted by taniajane on 5/12/2014 7:12:00 PM (view original):
Well no BillyG the guys that are there deserve to be there, and go 8 and 19 and get post season money. They are fantastic. We all should bow to them.
i had to go watch the kids for an hour or whatever it was since i made and then edited my post... but like i said there (just a second ago), i would have no problem taking away the 8-19 bids. that doesn't mean .500 is the answer, and it doesn't mean any of your unfair characterizations of power conference coaches are reasonable.

your continued attempts to paint complex issues as black and white, isn't making things any better, either. there is no need to dramatize, sensationalize, and polarize, and in fact, it rather takes away from the discussion.
5/12/2014 7:35 PM (edited)
Kansas...turf guard money like excuse past history of cheating to get there
5/12/2014 7:34 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/12/2014 7:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by taniajane on 5/12/2014 7:12:00 PM (view original):
i had to go watch the kids for an hour or whatever it was since i made and then edited my post... but like i said there (just a second ago), i would have no problem taking away the 8-19 bids. that doesn't mean .500 is the answer, and it doesn't mean any of your unfair characterizations of power conference coaches are reasonable.

your continued attempts to paint complex issues as black and white, isn't making things any better, either. there is no need to dramatize, sensationalize, and polarize, and in fact, it rather takes away from the discussion.
I am getting real tired of the poor Billy routine......'99% per cent sable.....most coaches ignored rules, half still do (you?), I was a victim because I got caught.'
5/12/2014 7:37 PM
1|2|3...12 Next ▸
.500 Record Requirement for D1 Postseason(Poll) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.