Name Game Draft League - (Need Replacement Owner!) Topic

This is a draft league I ran on two occasions many years ago and I'd like to try and bring it back.  Before the draft begins I will randomly select a player from baseball-reference.com.  I will use random.org to randomly set the draft order.  Then the first owner to draft will have to select a player (with a WIS eligible season, obviously) with either the exact same first name, the exact same last name, or the same initials.  For instance, if the initial name chosen was Ron Swanson, the first owner could take Ron Cey, Evar Swanson, or Reggie Smith or any other player with a first name of Ron, a last name of Swanson, or the initials R.S.  Then each subsequent pick must match the previous pick by either first name, last name or initials.

The first or last names must match exactly, no variations are allowed. (i.e. Joe must match Joe; Joey, Joseph or Jo-Jo are not allowed)
For the purposes of this draft the names or intials must match according to EITHER the whatifsports database or the baseball-reference.com player index (www.baseball-reference.com/players/)

Once a player is selected he is off the board and may not be picked again. You may use any WIS-eligible season of the players selected but there will be a cap.

A good deal of strategy will be involved with this draft, at times you'll have to decide whether to take the best player available or make a pick that could potentially screw the next owner, or several owners.

The draft will be standard format (snake order would not work because it would allow one owner to set himself up each round)

Picks will be un-timed because owners can't be skipped since at times it may actually be advantageous to miss a pick.
If 24 hours pass and a pick has not been made that owner will be penalized $500,000 AND the pick will be moved to the very back of the draft.
If by chance, there are no possible players to select your pick will move to the back of the draft. (And a new name will be drawn)
Please make sure to sitemail the next 2 owners after your pick and use proxies when possible if you can't make your pick.

This will be a 16 team league, but even with just 16 owners, this could be a long draft.
Please only sign up if 100% interested, please don't if you become easily bored, hate long drafts or you would be inclined to drop out if you don't like the way your team is shaping up.

Cap will be $120 million
League format will be 4/4 4/4 with interleague play
Yes to DH
Yes to Trades
No to WW and AAA
Injuries will be turned on
SLL limited to next series only
Any stadium may be used
And league will realigned based on the intial draft order

Hope I've covered everything, but let me know if you have any questions.
6/16/2014 4:29 PM (edited)
Interested owners:

1. cstrohmier
2. SpotSell
3. bheid408
4. shawbigred
5. DaBallCoach
6. razorclams
7. tdoak
8. specsman
9. fatboydad54
10. grayfoxx
11. stroh23
12. jballot
13. pg99
14. Hoofhearted
15. uncleal
16. ttrain08
8/12/2014 3:43 PM (edited)
bump
5/18/2014 12:47 PM
I will play
5/21/2014 5:11 PM
Im IN
5/21/2014 9:36 PM
What the hay......... put me down/in for this.
5/21/2014 10:19 PM
Thanks guys, I had almost written this one off. Hopefully, we can get off the ground.
5/23/2014 7:21 AM
I'll try this out.
5/23/2014 7:52 AM
shawbigred, thanks for joining
5/23/2014 3:42 PM
will give it a go--count me in
5/23/2014 7:43 PM
DaBallCoach, welcome.
5/23/2014 10:32 PM
me too
5/24/2014 1:54 AM
We're almost half way there
5/24/2014 5:59 PM
bump
5/27/2014 1:34 PM
I would love to participate in this ... but it depends on when, as I've got a couple of international trips coming up which would make it very hard to participate in the draft.  So, if it's okay, sign me up, but when the league gets near full, I'll have to see if I can suit up or not.
5/30/2014 9:24 PM
12345 Next ▸
Name Game Draft League - (Need Replacement Owner!) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.