Changing player positions Topic

Seble, just noticed when I change my PG to SF.... a position he has played for the last 2 seasons... it now shows he was the #2SF recruited 3 seasons ago. When recruited he was the #2 PG.  Intended change or do you need to freeze that?
It also changed the position listed for them in the pre-season game that was played earlier today. Looks like it changes it all..... history included.
I'm not sure it matters.... just thought it deserved a mention so you could make sure that it was intended.
5/27/2014 5:11 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 5/27/2014 4:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by uncnick157 on 5/27/2014 4:28:00 PM (view original):
Yeah I like this a lot, except I now can't use it for a whole season since Iba just started.
any way to lift the deadline for like a week across all worlds so those of us that aren't near the beginning of the season can make initial changes and then lock it into the deadline pattern?
with only 6 weeks for the longest waiting world (3 weeks average, maybe less), i tend to be against spending extra effort on these kind of things.
5/27/2014 5:17 PM
Posted by zags27 on 5/27/2014 5:11:00 PM (view original):
Seble, just noticed when I change my PG to SF.... a position he has played for the last 2 seasons... it now shows he was the #2SF recruited 3 seasons ago. When recruited he was the #2 PG.  Intended change or do you need to freeze that?
It also changed the position listed for them in the pre-season game that was played earlier today. Looks like it changes it all..... history included.
I'm not sure it matters.... just thought it deserved a mention so you could make sure that it was intended.
Good catch on the recruiting ranking - that can be fixed pretty easily.

For the second point - what exactly are you referring to?  The position in the boxscore?  That's always been listed position, not the position they started in the game.

5/27/2014 5:24 PM
im going to go out on a limb and assume seble is posting from zags's account, rather than zags being crazy and talking to himself ;)
5/27/2014 5:27 PM
LOL, not sure how you answered as me....
Part 2.... I just thought it was interesting that I changed Midgley to SG for this season... and then happened to be looking at the box-score from before I did it... and it changed him there as well. He played the game listed as a PG... but after I changed his position... it changed the box.
Like I said before..... not sure it matters, but thought you should know.

Yep, I do talk to myself sometimes.... but my wife is usually involved.
5/27/2014 5:30 PM
Yeah, sorry about that - I was checking out the issue on his team.
5/27/2014 5:36 PM
Posted by zags27 on 5/27/2014 5:32:00 PM (view original):
Part 2.... I just thought it was interesting that I changed Midgley to SG for this season... and then happened to be looking at the box-score from before I did it... and it changed him there as well. He played the game listed as a PG... but after I changed his position... it changed the box.

Yeah, the boxscore is wired up to show current listed position.  The position they started in that game is implied by the slot where they appear, or it can be seen in the play-by-play.
5/27/2014 5:39 PM
Seble, I just sent a ticket to CS as well if you have a chance.
5/27/2014 5:47 PM
Posted by zags27 on 5/27/2014 5:32:00 PM (view original):

im sure he just logged in to your account to see what you could see. kind of interesting though... we do the same thing at work every day, but we also assign and record passwords. here, users set their own passwords, so presumably, seble doesn't have access to those. they must have some back end method to just log in to any account at will. thats kind of cool, but also, potentially concerning from a security standpoint. also, we never have access to ecommerce capable accounts (which ours here are) at work, that's a totally different ballgame, than non ecommerce-capable accounts (although, not storing CC info definitely helps). im sure they do it all safely... just interesting, i never thought seble could log into my account. the consumer-me doesn't care, but the professional-me finds it interesting.

5/27/2014 5:58 PM (edited)
This is a good change. I've got many players who are listed as a PF but will only ever play SF, or vice versa. Or even better, SG who will be SF because they frankly are too slow to play any G position. This does make things a bit easier, which is nice.

Not to threadjack, but I'd also like to see the ability to edit your own Coaches Corner posts to eliminate double posting, bad typos that completely change what you meant, etc. I'd also like to save up to 5 recruiting filters. Because of potential, player roles is only useful to a point. I'm never going to take a 10 WE and 10 D player...so I'd like some filters to just eliminate those guys right off the bat.
5/27/2014 6:44 PM
+1 on sublightd's last comment about being able to edit CC posts. I just called a player in my conference "Dad" instead of "Dan" and it would have been nice to correct it so he didn't think I had some issues.
5/27/2014 6:56 PM
Posted by ezekialstarr on 5/27/2014 6:56:00 PM (view original):
+1 on sublightd's last comment about being able to edit CC posts. I just called a player in my conference "Dad" instead of "Dan" and it would have been nice to correct it so he didn't think I had some issues.
+2. it will be awesome when someone writes the software that can analyze your writing style sober, and drunk, and just automatically delete all drunken posts. but in the mean time, the CC edit/delete function would be nice ;)
5/27/2014 8:14 PM
Nothing will ever be able to analyze mfnmyers writing.

seble, Philip Robertson for my King's team in Crum is eligible for all 5 positions. He was listed originally as a SG but definitely makes a better SF (and still low passing at that position). I thought I would mention it because you had said you hadn't seen one yet for all 5 positions. I thought it was pretty cool and my guess would be that SF types will be the only ones that could pass for all 5.
5/27/2014 11:28 PM
Here's another 5-position player (which I realize probably means he's not any good at any of them)...

www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx 
6/4/2014 11:27 AM
Seble, I don't get why it's an "either/or" on the deadline to change player positions. Why can it only be after exhibitions or after non-conference? I really really hate the idea of having the deadline so quick. I wouldn't mind have a couple of games into the season to decide on this before it's locked for the reason of the season. I think that would be a compromise solution if the engine allows it. 

You mentioned that we can change positions for "existing players". But if a coach is in a situation where they are replacing 4 or 5 players in a cycle, sometimes I'm not really sure who I will play where until I play the team a couple of games. Rarely do I stick with dept chart from the pre-season for an entire season. 

I also STRONGLY believe that new recruits should show immediately when signed and not have to wait two days. I would suggest putting this high on your to-do list. Some of us are busy with everyday lives and the more time/flexibility we get at the most important time of the season (the beginning), the better. You are absolutely correct that the time period between end of recruiting and start of regular season is the busiest. But that's part of the problem. It's already a busy period with a lot to do juxtaposed against other times in the pre-season where there are long stretches of virtually nothing to do. That's why I think allowing a couple more days to establish positions and eventually figuring out a way to get your recruits signed and planned for right away would be worthwhile. 

Also to throw in my two cents, I think the change is good. I do agree wholeheartedly with several of my fellow coaches on this thread that I don't know that it's even a top 5 issue with HD. But I'm not going to complain with your efforts. Any improvements are worthwhile so long as they are one of hopefully many more important ones to come. Thanks for the hard work 
6/6/2014 3:24 AM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13 Next ▸
Changing player positions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.