Changing player positions Topic

As far as the concern about game planning goes, any coach that doesn't actually check the line-ups of his or her opponents previous games, and only looks at player positions and stats, probably doesn't take game planning on a individual basis very seriously...and should only be upset with themselves if and when that strategy backfires.
5/22/2014 5:31 PM (edited)
Posted by seble on 5/22/2014 1:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by guyo26 on 5/22/2014 1:30:00 PM (view original):
I don't see huge value in this, and I think it's very possible for people to game for unintended consequences.  Since there is no longer (I believe) a penalty for playing a player "out of position", why re-position him?  I played a guy in the NT that had 12 PF's, and he made the sweet sixteen plus, what's the benefit of changing a listed position?
This is mainly to make it easier for a coach to keep track of where you have guys slotted.  For example, maybe you end up with 5 PGs, but you actually play 2 of them strictly at SG.  It's nicer to see those players listed correctly at SG. 

If coaches used this feature honestly, then it would actually improve the awards process, as it would compare players at the correct position.

Seble, I know I am the new guy and this is just my opinion... But I think if you want coaches to honestly use this feature, you have to take it out of their hands.  For example, the only guys that are going to win awards (at least I assume) are starters.  So if I start to SG's, one at SG and the other at SF, then let the game change their positions accordingly.  Maybe make it that if a player starts or plays 60% of their time on the court at a certain position then that is the listed position they become.  Again, just the new guy's idea.
5/22/2014 4:46 PM
I, for one, would want the ability to change the position manually and not have the system do it.
5/22/2014 4:52 PM
How about apply the same restriction as the redshirt requirement (up until the player appears in the first non-exhibition game).  I would assume it would be easy enough to add another link beside where the redshirt is the UI (I remember seeing times where you could do rescind/redshirt so just do position/redshirt instead?).
5/22/2014 4:55 PM
Just read the rest of the thread, I like the "lock-in" idea.  As this is more, just a guess, for awards.  I would prefer the start of the season but if the vote goes the other way I'm fine with it.
5/22/2014 4:58 PM
I still don't see any compelling reason for you (Seble) to spend any time on this.  There are many other changes/additions that you could make that would be more beneficial for the game, and any number of them are about the same in terms of the amount of programming they would require.  I just don't see any bang for the buck in you spending any number of hours on a change that will provide no meaningful benefit I can fathom, even after five pages of discussion about it.

That said, if this change takes place I will list my entire roster as centers. 

5/22/2014 5:02 PM
PS - I'll admit that I don't care a whole lot about end-of-the-season awards, so I understand that I may be in the minority here.
5/22/2014 5:02 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/22/2014 4:52:00 PM (view original):
I, for one, would want the ability to change the position manually and not have the system do it.
Ditto. And I would think that having the system do it would be a more complex change as well.
5/22/2014 5:08 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 5/22/2014 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by seble on 5/22/2014 3:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jetwildcat on 5/22/2014 3:09:00 PM (view original):
What about using depth chart instead of playing time
Not sure I understand.  You could just change your depth chart to whatever you needed, change positions, then change depth chart back.  Or do you mean something different?
Instead of taking the minutes played at a position during a game, take where the player was on the depth chart at the start of a game.

I obviously don't know how the code looks, so I don't know how I would implement this exactly, but something like...at the beginning of a season, the player has an existing position, with '1 point' attributed to that position and '0 points' attributed to the others. At the start of each game, whichever position(s) he's listed the highest in get a 'point' added. His profile-listed position is whichever position has accumulated the most points thus far in the season, including the starter point.
Yes. Let the actual depth chart determine a player's position. I am starting a SF at PF... just because of the make-up of my team this season. I am expecting that next season he will be playing at the 3 again instead of the 4. This season... if he were to win any awards it should be as a player at the 4 position. Next season, if he should win an award... that would change to the 3 position.

Now, I have a backup Center who is the 2nd on the depth chart as both PF and C. He's playing both positions... and is listed equally on the depth chart for each. So, it needs to get even more specific than the depth chart.

The amount of minutes a player plays at each position should determine the position title in front of his name. I do NOT think giving coaches this power to manually change it to whatever they want is a good idea. Some wise coach will think it somehow benefits his team to list 12 PGs. And then how does the system choosing the awards rate his players? The PG with 12 rebounds per game, 4 blocked shots, .0.4 assists and 18 points in the paint now wins best PG of the year??

I understand how some coaches want the power to manually adjust this because IRL that is what a coach does. But think of all the players on this site that do crazy things and then really ask yourselves if you want every HD coach to have the power to manually do this. Not a good idea.
5/22/2014 5:10 PM
I just don't like the idea of some coaches being able to list their entire lineup to one position, as Davis said.  It will just make game planning against teams like this more of a burden.
5/22/2014 5:22 PM

I dont mind this, but I dont think there is a problem here that needs solving.

5/22/2014 5:42 PM
I don't see it as solving a problem. 

Player Roles did not solve a problem.  The Draft Big Board did not solve a problem.

It is an optional feature that some will find extremely useful and others will not use at all.
5/22/2014 6:09 PM
Posted by davis on 5/22/2014 5:02:00 PM (view original):
I still don't see any compelling reason for you (Seble) to spend any time on this.  There are many other changes/additions that you could make that would be more beneficial for the game, and any number of them are about the same in terms of the amount of programming they would require.  I just don't see any bang for the buck in you spending any number of hours on a change that will provide no meaningful benefit I can fathom, even after five pages of discussion about it.

That said, if this change takes place I will list my entire roster as centers. 

+1.

Given that there are 5 pages of discussion about it, we seem to be in the minority, but after reading through it all I'm still surprised that even some people think this is the sort of thing seble should spend time on.
5/22/2014 6:16 PM
when you put it in the context of using player roles (more?) efficiently, it becomes more than a cosmetic change and would make the player roles feature useable for coaches like yours truly who won't bother with it until i can redesignate the positions. (though, i'd rather no limit on changing the positions because with season improvements, i want the ability to gauge who is the best available player at each position from time to time.)
5/22/2014 6:19 PM
Posted by jaymc2007 on 5/22/2014 5:22:00 PM (view original):
I just don't like the idea of some coaches being able to list their entire lineup to one position, as Davis said.  It will just make game planning against teams like this more of a burden.
Well, first off, seble said that players would not likely be qualified for all 5 positions, and most would qualify for no more than 3 positions.

So, they would likely have to use the SF position to get the most players listed at one position.

Not only that, but it is dead simple to see where people play ... all it takes is opening up one game, then looking at the boxscore for the starters.  They are listed as C,PF,SF,SG,PG order.  Since guys currently can play out of position with no penalty, you likely need to do this anyway if you care who plays where.

5/22/2014 6:58 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...13 Next ▸
Changing player positions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.