The Starr Engine. Topic

That's definitely a solid workaround and you'll always find ways to improve the formulas (such as accounting for the average fatigue of a player depending on their playing time and offensive/defensive set), so it's smart to work within the bounds of the resources available to you without getting frustrated with the limitations. 
5/26/2014 10:04 PM
Thanks trail. I do have a tool where stamina and off/def sets are factored in (not as team scores) but in the game simulator I've made. It actually takes Home/Away, FT %, team defense, top 4 scorers and IQ into account in determining what tempo the two teams should run, where they will likely score from (outside, inside, balanced), who will win and the spread. Right now it actually recognizes the coach, but is set to penalize SIM teams all by the same amount and do little else for the rest. When I complete the "game planning score" for coaches, then I can plug that in for the rest.

It's cool because sometimes I will plug in two teams and the team with the lower score will be predicted to win. So far, I've only tested the tool in 8 real games- it hasn't been wrong yet and usually the spreads are close too. That said, I think I've just been getting very lucky. I'd have it up on the website if it wasn't so darn unstable. Often it works, but sometimes it takes a little TLC to get it working properly.
5/26/2014 10:16 PM
Very cool, excited to see it up and running in the future. 
5/26/2014 11:24 PM
A couple of minor updates to the Starr Engine.

1 - Thanks to oldave, we now have every team in DIII plugged in to the "Quick Roster Tool." This has saved all of us coaches many combined hours or work and I imagine this will also help me in other areas of my coding.

2 - I patched an error in the coding to the BETA recruiting value tool. I did not know but the ratings links for recruits who have not yet been signed and recruits who have recently been added to your roster (as well as veteran players) work differently. The table for recruits having not yet signed was working because that is what I had tested while making up the formula. And it did not work for the rest so that has been fixed.
-I also added in a formula to disallow ratings to reach over a 100 in potential, as that was before possible for coaches to do. I don't know that a coach would have actually exploited the tool in such a way as I would think they'd be using it for accurate results, but I addressed it anyway because it was bothering me.

LATER TODAY

1 - Starr Scores for DIII Rupp will be updated today, most likely before noon. I will post here when the updates have gone through and Google has loaded the new scores to =SE.
2 - It's time to decide who should win the MVP in DIII Rupp. I'll be posting the ratings and season stats as well as a link for the best players this season. Soon after I'll create another poll where we can all vote. Last season, the coaches decided to end voting at the end of the CT so we'll do that again this season.
5/28/2014 6:37 AM (edited)
This is awesome, ez. Thanks for your hard work and for sharing it with all of us!
5/28/2014 2:42 AM
My pleasure :)
5/28/2014 6:38 AM
Starr Scores have been updated and this season's MVP candidates have been listed on the main page of the site. Please site mail me if I missed any good ones.

http://starrengine.yolasite.com/

*EDIT* The poll is up for CCMVP :)
5/28/2014 8:38 PM (edited)
Coach Rankings for DIII Rupp are now available on =SE. I'm debating whether or not I should make them for other worlds. Possibly if there was a lot of interest from other coaches.
5/29/2014 9:40 AM
I'd be interested in seeing the scores for other worlds.
5/29/2014 10:10 AM
Same here!

5/29/2014 11:45 AM
Thanks for your input, guys. I'll think it over :)
5/29/2014 3:03 PM
I would too ezekial...mostly because my team is still terrible in Rupp. ;) 
5/29/2014 7:21 PM
Then this might make you happy. I put up a poll on the homepage. For now, I'm going to bring it to one more world and go from there. I'll probably leave the poll up for a few days and then complete the world shortly after. If any of you have a specific world you'd like to see the Coach Scores come to, please go and make your vote count. :)

Pepwaves, if it's any consolation, I know you're awesome :D But yeah still got until the end of next season before your score shows up I think in Rupp. And even then, it will be lower than what it will end up after you have the full 10 seasons under your belt.
5/29/2014 8:06 PM
I just wanted to note that the only reason I have kept a DIII in any world is because of EZ's work on the the starr engine,  RUPP's conference board chatter with bullman/rednu's predictions and pseudo's nightly writeups..  it just makes this game even more enjoyable..  Now I just need to get over that hump and start contending :)

all that being said..

thanks!!

5/30/2014 12:47 AM
Cool
5/30/2014 3:09 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
The Starr Engine. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.