The Starr Engine. Topic

Thanks guys :) I love it in Rupp too, it's like a totally different experience. And Carson's got his Stat of the Day too which is always fun.

One of the recent suggestions for =SE was to make a defensive score to compliment the Starr Scores. I've been working on it and I think I like the formula. I posted the results for DIII Rupp on the site and can be found by clicking on the rankings tab and then the "D-Score" tab on the next page. I like them, but they are very new and with no feedback from other coaches yet. Please don't hesitate to let me know what you think and if anything seems off to you. You can let me know here or take the survey on =SE.
5/30/2014 8:00 AM
Resolved an issue with the "Recruit Value" tool as it only would show players already assigned to a roster. WIS uses two seperate tables for recruits and for veteran players. I adjusted the settings to allow for either table to pull properly. For the user, nothing has changed: you still copy and paste the link to the player's ratings page, whether it's a potential prospect or player already on your roster.

For coach scores, you will notice some names are now grayed; these are coaches who left Rupp before the start of season 72. In a couple of weeks the scores will be posted for season 73. I will also be bringing coach scores to the world that records the most votes in the poll on the site.
5/31/2014 12:53 AM
Maybe I need to find a team in Rupp. Sounds like the place to be. I love this game but what I love the LEAST about it is the utter lack of community participation in some of the worlds/conferences. I love the game but I love the interaction more. It's a game of strategy but it's also (to me) supposed to be a game of interaction and fun competition.  I specifically seek out conferences where there is vibrant and strong communication. I can never understand how some can be in an empty league every season. Seems so dull to me. I've managed to help build some conferences with some community feel in some leagues but in other places, it's harder to find. 

Ezekialstarr, I want to commend you for taking the time to do all this work. I was amazed at your site tools. I think you may have gotten more accomplished than the developers of this site have attempted in a long time. I've long been hammering them to really ramp up the experience to help improve the community connectivity and ranking/tracking systems. Whatever they can do to make the game more interactive and make it easier for coaches to connect amongst leagues. What you've done is along the lines of what I've wanted to see from them more integrated into the HD platform. 

The one thing I'm missing (and I admit I'm half asleep right now) .. what is your overall goal of the site? I see the rating system there but I'm not clear on how the rating system is supposed to be used? Is it a tool for game planning or what is your intended vision for the site? 
5/31/2014 3:20 AM
kbc, thank you for the kind words. For starters, if you are looking for communication and a sense of community then my guess is you won't find anything better than DIII Rupp. Since joining the Rupp world, I've really fallen for it. They're all so nice, I highly recommend giving it a shot. If you're looking for some busy conferences, then: University, N. Coast, Great NE, USA South and Ohio are the fuller conferences.

My vision for =SE in its most stripped form is to try to make the game even more fun for others. In its infancy, I wanted to provide a platform to show off other coachs' accomplishments (that gave me the idea for the Starr Scores). When a person has done something they're proud of- even if on a game- it's natural they'd want others to see it. But it's tough to do without others thinking you're boasting or other negative thoughts. So if =SE does it, everyone wins :) Starr Scores are supposed to be used only as a comparison of players' abilities.

In real life, I'm a person who loves organization and structure. Everything needs to have a place. I love Hoops Dynasty- it's just I always wished I could look at two great players and know "He's the better one." When players are close, it's sometimes hard to tell at first. The Starr Score tries to take all of the players and combines all of the sets into one to try to find the best players across sets. I wanted to add more fun to an already fun game.

I do have visions for the future of the site, but I won't go into detail for now just in case it never becomes a reality.
5/31/2014 8:46 AM
I might just do that when it opens up
5/31/2014 5:57 PM
1 - Fixed an issue with the SS formula (that I created in a coding error) to the "Quick Roster" tool.

2 - Under the "Recruit Value Tool" tab, there was a minor cosmetic issue; the suggested position displayed a reference error instead of "C" any time =SE decided a player should be listed as a Center. It's fixed.

3 - D-Scores previously were not factoring in defensive IQ or stamina. This was a mistake and the formula has been updated. The D-scores are now much more accurate than before.

4 - There is a specific page for the greatest Rupp players of all time (but it only is counting seasons 73+). It will never truly represent the greatest players to ever play in Rupp, since WIS will never have the data for earlier players.

5 - I added a "Starr Rookie" title for the highest SS rookie in Rupp each season. It is located with the CCMVP and CCCotY awards on the site.

6 - The CCMVP has been decided. Congratulations to tarvolon and his player, Nathaniel Crowley (Dallas). I am currently hoping for nominations to be considered in the poll for the Coach of the Year.
6/1/2014 2:59 PM
I updated the "Quick Roster" tool so that it shows the team's coach in all worlds now. Before it would only display for Rupp teams. I had been worried it may slow the tool down because it needs to draw a lot of information for just that tiny bit of data, but I tested it and haven't felt a difference in loading times.

I've done the same thing for the "Team Comparison" tool and will be adding coach scores into the formula today to determine game results. The Team Comparison tool is currently only an administrative tool and is used to predict starting line-ups, tempos, scoring area (inside, balanced, perimeter), and of course, what team is favored and the spread.

Coaches of Crum, you received the most votes so Coach scores will be coming to your world very soon.
6/2/2014 8:39 AM
Looking forward to the updates, Starr! I of course voted for Crum, even though my score has surely dropped the past two seasons.
6/2/2014 10:25 AM
1 - Coach Scores are now available for Crum. They can be found by clicking the "Coach Rankings" tab when hovering over the "Rankings" tab.

2 - Google Drive is experiencing a server error, which makes it difficult to access the files I need.

3 - Coach scores for Rupp will also be changed today (if Google will allow it) because they are not entirely accurate. I realized a critical mistake in my coding that will adversely affect the greatest coaches in the world. The correct formula is already in place for Crum. I will put up a log it in the updates section of the website once the changes are in place.

4 - changed the logo and background to make it easier on the eyes and less overwhelming for my awesome visitors :)

*EDIT* - The Coach Scores have been revised for the Rupp world. Check them out and see if you agree.
http://starrengine.yolasite.com/coach-rankings.php
6/4/2014 12:36 PM (edited)
well, I don't like the changes... moved me down a few spots! Seriously though, I think that's spot on . I think phalla, since retired from Rupp, probably was a step or two behind spasticity though. My guess is spas could have had more titles had he not changed his offense to FB during one stretch.
6/5/2014 11:14 AM
Thanks Brian, yeah I felt bad to see you moved down after I had congratulated you and everything. I knew something seemed off with the scores when I brought them into Crum and JsaJsa (best Crum DIII coach of all time) wasn't even in the top 20. They feel more accurate to me now too, do you think the FB switch is what cost Spasticity #1 or do you think he maybe should have got it despite the switch?

New scores for season 64-73 will be coming out at the start of next season. Phalla will drop and turn gray but you and Spasticity should climb even higher than you are now. I also have a final 4 prediction tool now, I can't wait to test it out at the start of next season. GL tonight Brian, you know you have to win tonight or it will be impossible to lose tomorrow :) jk
6/5/2014 4:20 PM
Here is a link to a project I was working on today. It's just a template right now and not fully functional but should give you the idea of what it;s meant to do. Please take a look and give me some feedback. Is this project worth pursuing or do you think my time would be better spent on something else?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kuH8WHH5O-k7vMo1UM9TX8jeAMJe-IQUWNLAm3D9gOg/pubhtml#
6/7/2014 12:41 AM
Coach Scores are now available in Iba. Congrats to the respective coaches who dominate their worlds in DIII:

Iba
1 - aberwager - 95.9
2 - alblack56 - 94.8
3 - mfnmyers - 94.5

Crum
1 - jsajsa - 103.1
2 - tarvolon - 100.7
3 - platoisek - 95.7

Rupp
1 - BrianXavier - 98.4
2 - Spasticity - 97.5
3 - mfnmyers - 94.5

Also want to note mfnmyers is 4th in Crum with a 94.8 score. Gotta give him props for a high level of consistency.
6/24/2014 5:20 AM
I think the NT project looks interesting. 

Was just fiddling around with your quick roster tool to get a sense of how I stack up to the competition in Crum, and it looks like it's glitching a bit. The bottom one works fine, but the top one keeps returning the wrong offense. It thinks Maryville in Crum runs triangle, Dallas in Rupp runs FB, and Delaware Valley in Crum runs FB. 
6/26/2014 1:26 AM
Darn, I thought it was working again so I took down the notice. Yeah I don't really know what happened. One day the top one just stopped working correctly. I looked into it but I can't find where I might have messed anything up. Really, I don't think I messed anything up. Google sheets is sooo unstable, I wish I was using zoho or something else. The bottom one seems to work all the time and the top one works sometimes. I used to use Excel when I had windows (not the online version) and I loved it. It was powerful, fast and stable.

I'll continue to look into other platforms as I'm more and more disappointed by google sheets. The problem with the others so far is I haven't found one with an importhtml feature that I can figure out, other than google. Since I import so much information for everything, that's a must. If it turns out Zoho can do it and I just needed to figure out how... zoho is REALLY good. It's just like an online version of excel and much better than excel's online version (onedrive).

I'm glad you like the NT project. It took a little bit of work but I think it will add more to the tournament. I plan to make one for the PT too so you can very easily track a conferences total tournament wins. There's a link to view what tarvolon was referring to here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kuH8WHH5O-k7vMo1UM9TX8jeAMJe-IQUWNLAm3D9gOg/pubhtml

or you can read the article:
http://starrengine.yolasite.com/updates/nt-brackets
6/26/2014 5:49 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
The Starr Engine. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.