Hawk Harrelson Topic

His call on Dunn's homer tonight has to be the worst homerun call in the history of homerun calls. He's gasping for air, he's incoherent - he sounds like a 70 year old man who just shat himself watching his favourite team win the game. Absolutely horrible. No wonder he was rated the worst announcer in MLB.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_05_23_nyamlb_chamlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=cws#gid=2014_05_23_nyamlb_chamlb_1&mode=video
5/24/2014 1:03 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bronxcheer on 5/24/2014 5:15:00 AM (view original):
Awesome!
bronxcheer=cresty

Confirmed!
5/24/2014 9:51 PM
Every Hawk Harrelson homerun call is the worst homerun call in the history of homerun calls.
5/29/2014 4:22 AM
Hawk Harrelson may not be for everyone, but I've listened to him broadcast more baseball than any other announcer, and while he's a homer, he's honest about it, and he compliments many other players and coaches on other teams, often. Just because he cheers doesn't mean he's an awful announcer. He's actually quite knowledgeable. And much better than guys like Mike Shannon or Ron Santo used to be. Hawk gets hated on because he's not afraid to be himself. 
6/17/2014 8:04 PM
He's horrible.   Broadcasters are just background noise to me.    If I notice what they're talking about, they likely suck.   I notice HH far too much. 
6/18/2014 8:39 AM
Agreed. Bad listen.
6/18/2014 8:53 AM
That's a good point.  He sounds different because of his bias, it stands out.  He takes away from the game.  He's a fan.  So obnoxious.
6/18/2014 9:14 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 5/24/2014 1:03:00 AM (view original):
His call on Dunn's homer tonight has to be the worst homerun call in the history of homerun calls. He's gasping for air, he's incoherent - he sounds like a 70 year old man who just shat himself watching his favourite team win the game. Absolutely horrible. No wonder he was rated the worst announcer in MLB.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_05_23_nyamlb_chamlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=cws#gid=2014_05_23_nyamlb_chamlb_1&mode=video
And when the opposing team scores, he gives no call. There's silence as he runs the bases. As if he's ignoring it. If you're doing things around the house and the game is mostly background noise, you wouldn't even notice a home run was hit.
6/18/2014 9:17 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/18/2014 9:14:00 AM (view original):
That's a good point.  He sounds different because of his bias, it stands out.  He takes away from the game.  He's a fan.  So obnoxious.
That might be the best way to put it.   He's the guy sitting next to you at the game who's distracting.   The guy you feel like telling "Dude, shut up and watch the game."

FWIW, McCarver never really bothered me.   He explained the game like the viewer had never seen baseball so that would have been very annoying.   Except he did it in a tone that was easy to ignore.   Same with Morgan.  If you listened to him, you'd inevitably think "Please shut up."   But his tone was also easy to ignore.  Not HH.   You "hear" him.  
6/18/2014 9:46 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2014 9:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/18/2014 9:14:00 AM (view original):
That might be the best way to put it.   He's the guy sitting next to you at the game who's distracting.   The guy you feel like telling "Dude, shut up and watch the game."

FWIW, McCarver never really bothered me.   He explained the game like the viewer had never seen baseball so that would have been very annoying.   Except he did it in a tone that was easy to ignore.   Same with Morgan.  If you listened to him, you'd inevitably think "Please shut up."   But his tone was also easy to ignore.  Not HH.   You "hear" him.  
I disagreed with a lot of what Morgan said, so he irritated me in that way.  And yea, McCarver's "analysis" was too "duh" for me.  It felt like he was saying things for the sake of saying them, and using as many words as possible to make his point.  Like he was filling space.  Sometimes silence is ok.
6/18/2014 10:07 AM
Posted by bronxcheer on 6/18/2014 9:57:00 AM (view original):
Grab some pine, sonny
hey anton, i was at dublin deck yesterday for dinner. first time there - good burgers/crab cakes. i recommend if you havent been.
6/18/2014 10:07 AM
12 Next ▸
Hawk Harrelson Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.