NDL 3--Commentary/analysis thread Topic

I'll start it off....first of all, what is up with glen87???  I sure hope he is all right.  Haven't heard anything from him and he hasn't opened a sitemail since Friday or Saturday.  I really don't want two teams, so I hope he likes the team I have drafted for him so far and wants to take it over.

The AFC Central oughta be a very interesting division.  The "New Guy" division, as it worked out, with johnberlin being the only one to be in all three seasons so far.

No SHOCKERS in the first round this time, a la Warren Moon in the top five.  Roman Gabriel is an interesting selection though.  Never has been used yet in this league, so to go in the first round is a bit surprising, but could turn out to be a good pick.

Adrian Peterson going BEFORE Jim Brown is rather dubious to me, but I am not gonna complain since I ended up with JB.  After drafting AP in round one in season one and living with his blah 4.2 avg for me that season, means I would take Brown every time.

As tom pointed out, LOTS of offensive lines in the first round this year.  More than defenses.  We'll see if thats a trend or a one season fluke depending on performance of those teams that took the OL's early this season.

Tell your friends and people in your open leagues about this league guys!  I so would like to have a season when we have 24 DIFFERENT owners.  Maybe season four.
5/27/2014 9:51 PM
Grayfoxx....LOVE the NDL history posts!  Seasonal standings and leaders and so on.  Great idea!
5/27/2014 9:53 PM
I agree on grayfoxx's NDL history thread. I wanted to comment there, but didnt widsh to add "clutter" to the purity of his data. Well done!
5/28/2014 7:28 AM
Believe me I was on the fence with Gabriel but in the end I think of the QBs left he fit the style team I'm setting up the best.

As for my other team I went with Gwhouse theory from his data from the regressive league he runs.....def and a good QB win championships. I was able to make the playoffs using Mike Plum and Alex Smith, so my hope is Phillip Rivers will be a huge upgrade. Time will tell......
5/28/2014 8:49 AM
In my division, I have to face Jim Brown, Barry Snaders,and Ricky Williams.

On the other hand, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Ricky Wilimas all must face the '51 Giants run defense, allowing a meager 2.3 yds per rushing attempt!!

. . .  (and by the way, why do they call it "rushing"? Isn't "running" good enough?)

5/28/2014 3:34 PM
Posted by tomhanrahan on 5/28/2014 7:28:00 AM (view original):
I agree on grayfoxx's NDL history thread. I wanted to comment there, but didnt widsh to add "clutter" to the purity of his data. Well done!
Comments are welcome Tom, as long as the *clutter* gets removed before I have to add next season's standings.
5/28/2014 4:58 PM
I might wait on a QB & D this time around. Obviously set at RB!!
5/28/2014 5:02 PM
It's nice to see Dan Marino, Joe Montana and just now Rich Gannon, getting drafted this time. 

If Michael Vick, Alex Smith and Randall Cunningham were to get taken before those MVP caliber passers again, I might've lost my lunch.
5/29/2014 2:06 AM (edited)
In case you'all were curious (and even if you weren't) about why I took Adrian Peterson instead of Jim Brown, 2012 Peterson has a higher receiving stamina that 63 Brown does.  That was important to me.

I'm really happy that  I was able to get the Rams Defense.  I gave myself a lot of options in regards as to what kind of D I can use.  After a bit of pondering and some numbers crunching, the version that I'm rolling with may surprise some of you.
5/29/2014 2:13 AM
People continue to express surprise at how "late" certain players, especially RB, are drafted. This is primarily due to the fact that most owners have an O-line and a QB and possibly a DEF by round 3. We have collectively came to consensus in NDL3 that RBs aren't as crucial. We'll see how that plays out if some teams with monster RBs roll to the playoffs!
5/29/2014 7:08 AM
I really like johnberlin's team. A DEF with great run and pass ratings, Otto's superb completion % at QB, Earl Campbell who has the stamina and yds/carry to keep focus off of Otto. Only 6 owners left who don't have an O-line, so no rush to grab that one, and there are so few WR/TE taken that there are plenty left for him. He has my vote as the early favorite. Mark it down!
5/29/2014 9:12 AM

one more thought:
NDL1 Aaron Rodgers' team goes 12-4
NDL2 Aaron Rodgers' team goes 11-5 
NDL3 Tom drafts Aaron Rodgers!!! 

5/29/2014 9:16 AM
Posted by tomhanrahan on 5/29/2014 7:08:00 AM (view original):
People continue to express surprise at how "late" certain players, especially RB, are drafted. This is primarily due to the fact that most owners have an O-line and a QB and possibly a DEF by round 3. We have collectively came to consensus in NDL3 that RBs aren't as crucial. We'll see how that plays out if some teams with monster RBs roll to the playoffs!
I made it to the Super Bowl with OJ last season.  Of course, Fouts, Harrison, and the 49ers D helped!
5/29/2014 10:45 AM
spread sheet time..............so 3 rnds down and here is some data from them. As other stated before, season#3 saw Offensive lines jump of the board faster. And as stated before RB going off later in the draft. Rnd one saw 33% of the teams take QBs, round 2 saw 33% of teams take O lines and rnd 3 saw 25% of teams take QBs. Defenses didnt top any of the first 3 rnds. In the past rnd #1 was almost exclusively QB, DEF and RB's!!!
1st rnd 24   2ND RND 24   3RD RND 24   TOTAL DIVX3%
QB 8 33% QB 2 8% QB 6 25% 16 22%
RB 4 17% RB 4 17% RB 5 21% 13 18%
DEF 6 25% DEF 7 29% DEF 3 13% 16 22%
OFF 6 25% OFF 8 33% OFF 4 17% 18 25%
OTHERS 0 0% WR 3 13% WR 4 17% 7 10%
      OTHERS 0 0% TE 2 8% 2 3%
5/29/2014 9:42 PM
really wish I had taken Hugh McIlhenny with my 4th and waited on an OL; I think there's a good chance the Panthers would have still been there and my 2nd choice is still on the board. Charles and McIlhenny together would have been awesome.

But, Moore has some really good seasons too. Genco and I are building our team in pretty similar ways, although mine will be a little more run-heavy.

5/30/2014 7:53 PM
1234 Next ▸
NDL 3--Commentary/analysis thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.