NDL 3--Commentary/analysis thread Topic

I say blacklist every player used so far in the 3 leagues and get some newbies in there!
6/4/2014 2:16 AM
I like it the way it is.
6/4/2014 3:51 PM
I also like it the way it is. Also blacklisting over 192 players would be a pain to enforce.
6/4/2014 9:47 PM (edited)
Why would we set limits or move the cap? We are seeing a lot of different QBs being used each season and I like we are seeing some of the best defenses the SIM has.
6/5/2014 1:17 AM
I agree with roadhouse to be frank.  I had the idea for this league to find a basic and easy to follow draft league that hopefully could take off and be successful where we would have a nice long run.  I have been in smokey57's ODL league in basketball for over a year now.  He never changes or tinkers with the cap, rules, blacklists etc and each draft is different and unique for the most part.  

This draft is actually more changable than that league.  You have had Earl Campbell drafted in the top 15 one year, and in the 4th round the next, and 3rd the following.  You had Warren Moon drafted top five in season two, but not drafted in either season one or three.  Roman Gabriel wasn't drafted in the first two seasons, and was a first round pick this draft.  There are numerous Hall of Famers who have not been drafted in each season.  

This draft, you saw more and more teams strategizing with the idea of drafting cheap players who others like to draft as backups (John Hilton, Turk Schonert, Ruvell Martin, etc), giving them plenty of money to fill their roster with undrafted players, which is a strategy I can see getting more prevalent.  

The current structure allows you to draft a strong D and O line (like I did with glens team), but if you do that, you almost guarantee having to take a **** poor ST, kicker and punter.

I like that the current structure equates to Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and the other top QBs vying for the lead in QB rating with the winner being between 110-120.  

You saw a different strategy this draft with numerous teams drafting TWO top notch RB's.  Many different strategies can still be employed I believe.

It's going well as is, and I really am not tempted to modify anything yet.  I WOULD like to get some new owners like demo and ace this year though.  I'd really like to get some of the HOF football owners like heavyhammer, cosmicjim and guys like that, so if any of you know them well, put in a good word for the league, and tell all your other leagues and friends on here.  I dream of a league with 24 DIFFERENT owners someday.  

I also plan to unveil the NDDL (Decade Draft League) in WIS football soon as well.  It will be an offshoot of this league.  In other words, my plan would be to have the NDL and the NDDL running almost concurrently.  In other words, when we are in the middle of one, we will be drafting for the other.  Us WIS football die-hards will almost always be involved in a draft.  Could just be a dream, but we'll see.
6/5/2014 4:32 AM
I like the cap currently because it really allows you to change according to the division your in. So in my case I was going to draft a pass heavy team and use RB Chris Johnson to keep defenses honest. I drafted Gabriel early expecting to use his $8 season but then Dickerson dropped in my lap so I quickly switch to a running offense and took a lesser Gabriel.
6/5/2014 8:58 AM
Agreeing with much of what has been said, but we DO get signficant repeats every season; the best years of Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees, OJ, Brown, Crazy Legs, etc. That's what I was trying to address.
6/5/2014 9:16 PM
I would like people to use different years of franchises that have a long history of great defenses. 

For example, if I had drafted the Bears defense, I would've used the 1963 version instead of the 1942, like most people have done. I haven't seen anyone try the 85, 86 or any of the Brian Urlacher defenses.

But if you do get the Bears D, you can do whatever you want.  I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do.   
6/6/2014 12:25 AM
The 42 Bears D is not being used this year.
6/6/2014 9:36 AM
We can always run a 2nd league that has a tighter cap and restricts players. I've heard the idea be tossed around about decade and divisional league. Where you have to take players from a specific division (AFC North) and has to be from a specific time range. Like 1950-1960. That would force people to use different years of players and defenses
6/8/2014 10:33 AM

My 75M spending breakdown
. . . . . .offense - 30.5 (QB, RB, WR, TE, O-Line)
. . . . . defense - 37.4
special teams -  7.1 (FG, P, ST)

Anyone spend less than 30mil on offense? Or will my unit be the most pitiful one out there?

6/10/2014 1:57 PM
my division opponents:
team          OFF  DEF  ST
NoName 34.4  33.6  7.0
Bushwo  34.1  37.5  3.4
Mike Sim 34.8  36.7  2.5
it sure looks like a low-scoring group of 4 teams; DEFs average spending over 36 Mil. That's one sad special teams unit; 2.5 for a P, K, and return guys.
6/10/2014 9:34 PM
Where did you find the breakdown in salary or did you just use a calculator???
6/11/2014 10:59 AM
I looked up the DEF and ST used by each team (ST in 3 parts and located their costs individually. The Offense I got by subtracting DEF ands ST from 75.0.
6/11/2014 12:58 PM
Championship winning coach AND can use a calculator!!!
6/11/2014 1:57 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
NDL 3--Commentary/analysis thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.