Puig vs. Trout Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 6/3/2014 10:00:00 PM (view original):
Unjtil Puig matures, he's still a massive problem waiting to happen.

My gut feeling says: expect Puig to have a short shelf-life before his immaturity and mistakes wears out his welcome in LA, and he starts to become the problem that nobody wants.
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about.  The 95% of the country that only watches Puig on Sports Center still believe this to be true, and it just isn't anymore...

Sure, he still does dumb **** in his personal life.  I doubt anybody cares about that as long as he keeps OPSing 1+.  Or even .900+.  And he just isn't doing the stupid things on the field that he did last season.  Whenever he does, it's guaranteed to make it onto the SC highlight reel, and talked about ad nauseum on BBT, even MLB Tonight on the MLB Network.  They can't get past the reputation for some reason.  I think most Dodger fans know better, and the people who just watch a ton of baseball games because they can.  But this year, the highlights aren't giving anything close to a fair representation of Puig's performance on the field.  You'd barely know from the talking heads that he's been the best hitter in baseball this season, but you'd think he was still running himself into outs 3 or 4 times a week.

He's not. 
6/3/2014 11:00 PM
Listen to Don Mattingly talk about him.    That should tell you what you need to know. 
6/3/2014 11:06 PM

Truth is that people who can run fast, throw far and swing hard want to do these things.  Because it's worked for them.    They just need to be taught when to do these things at 100% and when to do the "smart" thing.

6/3/2014 11:09 PM
Anyone wanna change their pick?   Trout missed two games due to back issues, played an inning and took himself out. 
6/4/2014 2:37 PM
6/4/2014 2:48 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/4/2014 2:48:00 PM (view original):
I don't know why I found this as funny as I did, but I literally spit out soda I was drinking.  Cleaning up off my desk.
6/4/2014 2:50 PM
I am very intrigued to see if Puig can keep up .950-1.000 OPS numbers.  He's obviously incredibly talented, and if he's still a little raw (possible) it's also possible he could get better.  I do think the immaturity angle is driven by the media somewhat, it's probably blown out of proportion.  
6/4/2014 2:52 PM
I don't know how many Dodgers have managed .950 but asking a guy to slug .550 in that stadium consistently. 
6/4/2014 3:01 PM
...seems like a lot to ask.
6/4/2014 3:02 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/4/2014 2:53:00 PM (view original):
I am very intrigued to see if Puig can keep up .950-1.000 OPS numbers.  He's obviously incredibly talented, and if he's still a little raw (possible) it's also possible he could get better.  I do think the immaturity angle is driven by the media somewhat, it's probably blown out of proportion.  
The immaturity angle is ridiculous.
6/4/2014 3:05 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/4/2014 2:53:00 PM (view original):
I guess someone should explain what "immature" behavior he exhibits.

Late?  Yeah, tighten that up.   Otherwise, you look like a primadonna before you've earned it and that is a clubhouse issue.
Unreasonable celebrations?    If the guy who bats behind you is getting drilled, re-evaluate what you celebrate.
Bad on-field decisions?   Figure out what you're doing wrong but don't lose enthusiasm for playing the game.
Off-field crap?   Don't sweat it while playing well but know you'll be criticized for it when you slump.   

Is there anything else that makes him "immature"?   Because, if that's it, it's not very much to worry over and should be easily fixed.
6/4/2014 6:16 PM
what about when his bat flip skulls someone? That part is a safety factor.
6/4/2014 6:55 PM
Pretty sure a lot of guys are doing the bat flip.    Why single out Puig for it?
6/4/2014 6:55 PM
Bat flips have been big for over 20 years.  Not a Puig innovation.
6/4/2014 7:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/4/2014 6:55:00 PM (view original):
Pretty sure a lot of guys are doing the bat flip.    Why single out Puig for it?
seen how high he flips it?
6/5/2014 8:27 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Puig vs. Trout Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.