Recruiting 'Ethics' Topic

write down his user name, move up a level, and remember what he had done to you the season before.  If he moves up a level; rinse and repeat.
6/4/2014 8:18 PM
So nice to see that some things never change
6/4/2014 11:55 PM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 6/4/2014 8:18:00 PM (view original):
write down his user name, move up a level, and remember what he had done to you the season before.  If he moves up a level; rinse and repeat.
doing it from a level up is a violation of tos
6/5/2014 12:18 AM
Posted by svensvenssen on 6/4/2014 2:34:00 PM (view original):
That stinks for you, but I am sure the other coach is happy.  It happens in real life, so why not here?  

Here is another question.  
Is it wrong to run up the score?
it doesn't happen in real life actually. There is no case where a team does no recruiting of a player at all. Sees him commit to another team. Still doesn't contact him at all for months. Then calls him on signing day and does a huge push and gets him to sign without ever calling the school he had been committed to. There is battling for committed players but not sudden new players that get a recruit to sign without ever involving the first team.
6/5/2014 12:23 AM
Over time I have somewhat mellowed on this. Initially my opinion of anyone that would do this was a scum sucking, degenerate low life, foul smelling 2bit whore. I longer think of them as 2bit. In my view there is no real answer. If you find it offensive then don't do it. Not everyone will hold that view. No Marquess of Queensberry rules here. Unless I have been in a battle for a recruit I avoid recruits when they have committed to others. On the other hand if someone has come after recruits that have committed to me then all bets are off and all's fair that is legal. No need to get upset as it is part of the game. Map your strategy, holdback enough $ and make it as costly as possible for the other guy. Remember seasons are short and though revenge is not a good strategy to build your team sometimes it just happens that way.
6/5/2014 12:53 AM
Recruiting in Gridiron Dynasty always has a way of bringing out all the *******. I love it. I mean it really gets peoples panties in a bunch. Its just a game. I love the ones that will throw away their recruiting classes just to get revenge on another coach for "stealing one of THEIR recruits."
6/5/2014 2:19 AM
Back in the day we use to call this swooping. The lowest of the low thing to do to some ones team . It did nothing but heart the swoop-E by the swooper.

People that do this are *%^ *^$# &(&^% !#^&()_) and )(*^%$  (*^##. They are not very well liked at all.

I have eaten my share SIMs in a season and had a hell of a time fixing my team because of it.

I hate people that swoop......but it is part of the game (sic ).

6/5/2014 2:33 AM
What other way is there to avoid a 3 day bidding war, that - as a low vision team - you are going to lose for sure?

It is not something I do for fun, but I do it when the situation calls for it. In general I don't want to go after many recruits who already are green for someone else, because that is not a winning play. I need to have a good reason to do that. But if during the initial cycles I fall flat on a lot of recruits at a position of need, or have to move down too far in order not to have a battle with a human,  then I will battle and this is one of my preferred tactics. I also try to keep a bit of money in my pocket to counter act if someone tries this the other way. I don't see a reason that there is something wrong with stealth. And to come in shortly before the signing deadline is a very effective way to avoid heavy battle costs. Either you win fast, or you lose fast, but you will not end up in a three day bidding war, where you will not know if you will end up winning or not. To me that is the worst thing to happen, as it binds a lot of my money, but will leave me with the necessity to keep money back for a plan b should I lose the bidding war. If you have a player you really don't want that to happen to... invest more in him than necessary just to turn him green. That makes almost certain that a swooper will understimate the cost of what it takes to turn the guy green, and you will have a chance to counter. I don't target particular coaches, but I do target particular players and situations. As I said it is a risky play, because it usually comes at a time when money is not abundant,  and this is more of a desperation play. But desperation has happened to me twice in the 4 seasons I played this game.

I don't see much of a problem with it. Had it happen to me too, before I started employing it myself. Got 3 players this way, lost two.
I actually did not even know this was supposed to be wrong until this thread. Would not have crossed my mind. I mean I don't consider a recruit mine, until he's signed, and signing deadline tends to be the time in recruiting that has me the most anxious and excited. I mean we are competing and there is no way we can all have the best recruits. And of course it does more than hurt the swoopee. It really does benefit the swooper (if done correctly and not with the primary goal to hurt the swoopee), and as I said, it avoids long and more expensive bidding wars, that will hurt both parties even more.

6/5/2014 5:04 AM
I think one problem is perception - when your guy has a green dot, it's easy to think that you're the only one who put any effort into him, when in reality you put the most effort into him. Maybe you put $8k into a player and he's green, but someone else put $4k into him and doesn't show up - yet. If I'm the $4k guy and things break that way, I might put another CV into that and see what happens. It might be that CV is just enough to turn him yellow. It's not that all this effort went into swooping or swiping or whatever, it's just the latest in a grind of visits, and it finally affected the recruit.
6/5/2014 6:39 AM
Posted by hypnotoad on 6/5/2014 6:39:00 AM (view original):
I think one problem is perception - when your guy has a green dot, it's easy to think that you're the only one who put any effort into him, when in reality you put the most effort into him. Maybe you put $8k into a player and he's green, but someone else put $4k into him and doesn't show up - yet. If I'm the $4k guy and things break that way, I might put another CV into that and see what happens. It might be that CV is just enough to turn him yellow. It's not that all this effort went into swooping or swiping or whatever, it's just the latest in a grind of visits, and it finally affected the recruit.
This is a very good point. 
6/5/2014 8:32 AM
Posted by dublinuf on 6/5/2014 12:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by svensvenssen on 6/4/2014 2:34:00 PM (view original):
That stinks for you, but I am sure the other coach is happy.  It happens in real life, so why not here?  

Here is another question.  
Is it wrong to run up the score?
it doesn't happen in real life actually. There is no case where a team does no recruiting of a player at all. Sees him commit to another team. Still doesn't contact him at all for months. Then calls him on signing day and does a huge push and gets him to sign without ever calling the school he had been committed to. There is battling for committed players but not sudden new players that get a recruit to sign without ever involving the first team.
Who says that user hasn't been in contact with the recruit the whole time?  I have made phone calls, scouted, made home visits, offered starts and playing time to recruits without them even considering me while accepting the start and playing time.  I agree that a real life coach might not wait until signing day to recruit a player, but I was referring to recruits switching their allegiance on signing day.

But really, I don't see anything wrong with a user coming in late, like it has been suggested already by many others, into the recruiting because he or she has been doing other things in real life.  
6/5/2014 9:34 AM
"That girl kissed me once, she's mine forever."
6/5/2014 11:11 AM
Posted by kcsundevil on 6/5/2014 11:11:00 AM (view original):
"That girl kissed me once, she's mine forever."
See, but it's comments like this that belittle what the original dilemma  really is.

Everyone has a limited budget, and you don't get to save it from year to year.

Therefore, you are forced to either spend money near the end, or save it for defense, knowing that if nothing comes for you, you have set fire to that money.

The quote above is acting as if the person doesn't want to battle that gets attacked late.

Rarely the case. The other guy is using a strategy to wait until the first coach uses his money trying to upgrade late in a cycle, and then come in. Thus avoiding a battle.

And when it happens to you on the last cycle, it can blow up your class. There is no doubt that it is valid, albeit a little weasely, strategy. I guard against it. You have to learn to. That said, the people who recruit like weasels year after year, usually do poorly in the long term. Because trying to secure a great class by swooping people at the last second rarely is the path to building a star class.

Almost invariably when it has happened to me, it wasn't a player worth battling for. I had a tapped out player that I got considering me with just one scouting visit a few seasons. He was destined to be a career backup. And yet, I had someone swoop him on the last cycle. So, that represents more money they would have had to spend on a player that doesn't make your team better substantially.

6/5/2014 11:25 AM
It isn't weasely. It's competition. *shrug*
6/5/2014 11:43 AM
Posted by kcsundevil on 6/5/2014 11:44:00 AM (view original):
It isn't weasely. It's competition. *shrug*
Yeah but it is more akin to blowing in Lebron's ear than attempting to block his jump shot. And it is usually a bad strategy. It's the cherry picking of GD if you will. You aren't playing defense, and it will usually hurt your team, but occasionally you get a layup.
6/5/2014 5:35 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Recruiting 'Ethics' Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.