Recruiting 'Ethics' Topic

"WAAAHHHHH! I spent all my money and you didn't. Then when I couldn't do anything to stop you, you swooped in and stole a better player. How dare you make your team better at the expense of mine!" I l always though the point of competition was to try and win! Winning means getting the best recruits possible. I don't even understand how going after a recruit with money I saved during recruiting can be called anything but strategy.
6/5/2014 6:04 PM
Building a team I often target a really good player who turns green to a good team first thing. Usually the established coach and team will only put enough on them to turn them green and figure everyone will steer clear. I start putting campus visits on until they accept one and if it happens to be the last turn before signing and I have a lot of cash left I'll put the max CV on that turn. If I'm lucky I turn him yellow and try to finish the battle. If the other coach spent too much elsewhere . . .  
6/5/2014 6:11 PM
Exactly hailmary! I've used that strategy as well. Had several big battles with one coach in particular and won most of them. Last season he jumped on a guy last turn and beat me out for him. I had some cash left but not enough to win another battle and fend him off. Good for him.  Bad for me. Just  part of the game. Amazes me that this comes up over and over and over. Amazes me even more that people get so upset. If they target you and work with someone to ruin a class, that's against the rules. If you spend big early and end up in battles late and can't defend maybe you should change how you recruit.
6/5/2014 6:18 PM
My problem is the fact that you can't carry over the money you don't spend. So if you are sitting on money at signings and people don't jump on you, you are hurting your team. When they killed reserve money, and I understand why they did, they created this Catch 22 where you are encouraged to light fire to part of your money most years.
6/5/2014 7:37 PM
GD should create a special world for people who complain about losing players during recruiting. In this world, all the games will end at halftime. If you have "turned the game green" at halftime, you win!
6/5/2014 8:39 PM
Everyone gets a "Participated" trophy.  

6/5/2014 8:49 PM
No matter what anyone thinks - in GD he ain't YOURS until he is signed - no matter what color polka dot he has by his name.
6/6/2014 12:54 AM
Posted by katzphang88 on 6/6/2014 12:54:00 AM (view original):
No matter what anyone thinks - in GD he ain't YOURS until he is signed - no matter what color polka dot he has by his name.
Since polka is a dance, does anyone know how they got the term 'polka dot' ?
      No kidding, I would really like to know if you do .

6/6/2014 3:17 AM
Posted by mojolad on 6/6/2014 3:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by katzphang88 on 6/6/2014 12:54:00 AM (view original):
Since polka is a dance, does anyone know how they got the term 'polka dot' ?
      No kidding, I would really like to know if you do .

According to my friend Mr. Google, the polka (dance) took Europe by storm in the mid-1800's, such so that many things became "polka this" and "polka that" in an attempt to latch on to the popularity.  Much like "Cyber" or "Quantum" today.
6/6/2014 8:47 AM
Yes,  I know about the dance , but what about the 'term' "polka dot"(for ex : she had a "polka dot" dress). We use it a lot to describe those round things in a pattern. How did they come know as "polka" dots ?
6/6/2014 9:34 AM
Bhazelwood(and anyone else who cares): You gave me the idea. So I looked it up in google.  The best explanation of how the term "polka dots" started is:

With the tide of European immigration to the U.S. in the 19th century, this new dance spread quickly and became wildly popular. The peak of the "polka" craze lasted for two generations from 1840 to 1890. In many areas of the country the desire to "polka" became so strong that polka clubs began to organize so  their members could satisfy their desire to engage in this trendy and spirited dance. Members were very proud of their clubs and, somewhere, someone came up with the idea of adopting a uniform pattern on clothing worn by women who were members of these polka clubs. Women chose a closely fitted jacket that was widely worn and made of evenly spaced dots placed on a field of fabric of a single color to signify their membership in a polka club.

6/6/2014 9:39 AM
Who doesn't like to polka?
6/6/2014 12:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5jK31CONVI&feature=kp
6/6/2014 12:40 PM
I always thought they were "poke a dot", especially when they were stratigically placed.  
6/6/2014 1:06 PM
Posted by dachmann on 6/5/2014 5:04:00 AM (view original):
What other way is there to avoid a 3 day bidding war, that - as a low vision team - you are going to lose for sure?

It is not something I do for fun, but I do it when the situation calls for it. In general I don't want to go after many recruits who already are green for someone else, because that is not a winning play. I need to have a good reason to do that. But if during the initial cycles I fall flat on a lot of recruits at a position of need, or have to move down too far in order not to have a battle with a human,  then I will battle and this is one of my preferred tactics. I also try to keep a bit of money in my pocket to counter act if someone tries this the other way. I don't see a reason that there is something wrong with stealth. And to come in shortly before the signing deadline is a very effective way to avoid heavy battle costs. Either you win fast, or you lose fast, but you will not end up in a three day bidding war, where you will not know if you will end up winning or not. To me that is the worst thing to happen, as it binds a lot of my money, but will leave me with the necessity to keep money back for a plan b should I lose the bidding war. If you have a player you really don't want that to happen to... invest more in him than necessary just to turn him green. That makes almost certain that a swooper will understimate the cost of what it takes to turn the guy green, and you will have a chance to counter. I don't target particular coaches, but I do target particular players and situations. As I said it is a risky play, because it usually comes at a time when money is not abundant,  and this is more of a desperation play. But desperation has happened to me twice in the 4 seasons I played this game.

I don't see much of a problem with it. Had it happen to me too, before I started employing it myself. Got 3 players this way, lost two.
I actually did not even know this was supposed to be wrong until this thread. Would not have crossed my mind. I mean I don't consider a recruit mine, until he's signed, and signing deadline tends to be the time in recruiting that has me the most anxious and excited. I mean we are competing and there is no way we can all have the best recruits. And of course it does more than hurt the swoopee. It really does benefit the swooper (if done correctly and not with the primary goal to hurt the swoopee), and as I said, it avoids long and more expensive bidding wars, that will hurt both parties even more.

It's called recruiting not a draft simply for the reasons you point out.  It's entirely part of the game.  And YES it does happen in real life.  Very often a D-1 team swoops in and picks a recruit from a directional school without ever showing interest before.

Arkansas swooped in on a kid named Korliss Marshall from Arkansas State and he is now one of the best players on the team.
6/6/2014 1:41 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Recruiting 'Ethics' Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.