Season 74, D3 Topic

Last year I was digging my feet in the sand in the morning at low tide and felt something hard. I thought it was a rock and dug it up. It was a clam! and tons of other ones right next to it. I kept searching and digging and probably got about 300 of them. I could have got more but didn't have any more buckets to put them in. I get back to shore and this 50ish year old lady is looking at my stuff on the beach like she's ready to rob me. I quickly walked up to her so she knew I owned that stuff and she went away with an odd look on her face. Turns out digging for clams is illegal and she was probably trying to see if she could find our IDs. The next day, we met a man on the beach and befriend him. Turns out he works for the clam patrol police or whatever. He begins telling us how this lady called in to complain about a family digging for clams. I told him it was me and apologized, said I didn't know better. He didn't care though and we both proceeded to make fun of the lady who called. Moral of the story is, I can't wait to go digging for clams again! J/K, just thought it was a fun story to share. I do get annoyed by those people though that have nothing better to do than try to get someone in trouble. Now I'm not going to flat out say it was BrianXavier's wife but I have my suspicions.

Now... vacation here I come!!!
7/5/2014 3:16 AM (edited)
You know, holiday weekends have a way of robbing me of time and opportunity to write up interesting recaps of pretend basketball games.  Let's get caught up with a quick look at the top of the rankings.  Our long-standing #1 team in the country, Kenyon, lost its first game last night at #11 Hiram but still managed to stay on top of the rankings.  Millsaps is close behind at #2 while our final undefeated team, Susquehanna, is at #3.  On the other end of the spectrum, we have seven teams that are still looking for their first win.  In other important news, Wooster beat Wittenberg the other night to score the season sweep.  Fighting Scots!  Ok, let's back on track here...

GotN
#24 Emerson (14-4)(cowboytrout) at #14 Emmanuel (15-2)(bananajacobs)
Huge game in the Great Northeast east division as these two teams are tied with J-Dub atop the standings with two losses.  Emmanuel got the road victory earlier in the season so finishing off the sweep at home would put them in an early position for at least second place.  If Emerson can return the favor and win on the road, they'll get a one game lead in addition to a nice bit of revenge.  bananajacobs has a small 7-5 lead in the series and this game is being called an even pick.

Also considered: Aurora at #10 Webster, Earlham at #11 Hiram, #18 Chapman at Whitworth, #20 Johnson and Wales at Daniel Webster, #22 Sewanee at Stillman, and Rhodes at #23 Emory

Sim blowout watch: Wisconsin River Falls is a 58 point road dog as they visit #16 Wisconsin La Crosse.
7/7/2014 4:39 PM
Let's hope I do a better job on this writeup than Brazil did in the first half today.

Last Night
Emerson 49   #12 Emmanuel 61
The home team put in a quality defensive performance and held Emerson to a mere 13 points in the first half, more than doubling the visitors up at the break.  Emerson made a solid attempt at a comeback in the second half, getting as close as 5 a couple times, but the home team recovered each time to build the lead back up to double digits.  Emmanuel and bananajacobs moved up a couple spots in the rankings with the win while Emerson and cowboytrout dropped into the others receiving votes section.

Also considered: Aurora got a big upset in the Gorlok den against #14 Webster 60-59, #7 Hiram held off Earlham 76-66, #17 Chapman got past Whitworth on the road 57-47, #19 Johnson and Wales won on the road at Daniel Webster 91-84, #18 Sewanee cruised past Stillman 73-54, and #21 Emory outlasted Rhodes 73-62.

Sim blowout watch: Wisconsin River Falls had no issue covering on the road but still lost to #20 Wisconsin La Crosse 50-73.

GotN
#2 Millsaps (16-2)(brianxavier) at #18 Sewanee (15-3)(madpad78)
Nice game in the University east division tonight as Sewanee welcomes division leaders Millsaps to town.  The home team is tied in second at two losses so they'll need this one to keep pace.  Millsaps is on a roll, sitting at 8-0 in conference and chasing the top ranking in the nation.  brian has a big lead in the series and his team is favored by 5 on the road.

Also considered: Allegheny at #1 Kenyon, Utica at #11 Vassar, #12 Emmanuel at Norwich, Stillman at #21 Emory, and #25 Louisiana at Hendrix

Sim blowout watch: 0-19 Johns Hopkins is a big 84 point underdog at home against #3 Dickinson.
7/8/2014 5:30 PM
Just eight nights left in the regular season, now would be a good time to to get your non-conference schedules set for next season if you haven't already.  Be sure to look for sims with poor records and as many seniors as possible this year, that way you'll have a great shot at a sim blowout watch appearance next year.

Last Night
#2 Millsaps 94   Sewanee 86
This was a close one throughout with Millsaps having a slim 1 point lead at the half and Sewanee keeping it close the rest of the way.  There was a stretch right after the midpoint of the half where the home team tied and went ahead a couple times and things got quite interesting.  But around the five minute mark, Millsaps went on a 9-2 run to retake the lead and were able to lock down the game from then on.  Millsaps and brian stayed undefeated in conference and in the second place ranking with the win and Sewanee and madpad dropped a game out of second place in the divisional race after their third conference loss.

Also considered: #1 Kenyon fended off Allegheny at home 65-56, #11 Vassar defended the home court from Utica 53-42, Norwich played clutch defense at the end to secure the upset over #16 Emmanuel 43-42, #17 Emory handled Stillman 83-60, and Hendrix dropped Louisiana from the rankings with a 87-80 home victory.

Sim blowout watch: Johns Hopkins is still without a win but at least they covered against #4 Dickinson 57-97.

GotN
#1 Kenyon (19-1)(jsajsa) at Wooster (13-7)(pseudochamp)
Our top ranked team is tied with one loss for their division lead with one game late in the season against Hiram, whom they're tied with.  They need to keep rolling until then and tonight they make a trip to visit the Fighting Scots of Wooster.  A home upset would be huge here for Wooster, but let's face it, that would be pretty much impossible.  No chance.  None.  Don't even bother checking the score tomorrow.  Nope.   (reverse jinx engaged)

Also considered: Whitworth at #7 Menlo, Allegheny at #9 Hiram, #10 Lynchburg at Virginia Wesleyan, Norwich at #14 S. Vermont, Austin at #15 Hardin-Simmons, Wabash at #18 Ohio Wesleyan, #21 Johnson and Wales at Newbury

Sim blowout watch: Concordia is back for another crack at the Gorlock and the spread has come down by 9, this time they're a 69 point home dog against #13 Webster.
7/9/2014 5:00 PM
How about we pretend I wrote a clever observation here, cool?  Cool.

Last Night
#1 Kenyon 61   Wooster 53
Reverse jinx fail.  At least we covered the spread.

Also considered: #6 Menlo took care of Whitworth at home 77-62. #5 Hiram cruised past Allegheny 73-57, #7 Lynchburg got past Virginia Wesleyan on the road 72-58, #13 S.Vermont downed Norwich 76-58, #14 Hardin-Simmons got a bucket with eleven seconds on the clock to edge Austin 61-60, #15 Ohio Wesleyan pulled away from Wabash 64-54, and #19 Johnson and Wales got the win at Newbury 79-69.

Sim blowout watch: Well, Concordia got closer than last time to cover once again against #16 Webster 61-97.

GotN
#6 Menlo (19-1)(dgravs) at #21 Chapman (17-4)(shine06)
We move out to the Northwest conference as Menlo looks to continue their undefeated run through the conference as they pay a visit to Chapman.  The visitors have a one game lead over Willamette for the divisional lead so a win here keeps them in front.  Chapman will be wanting to avoid the season sweep and get revenge for an 8 point loss earlier in the season.  shine has a slim 3-2 lead in the series, the visitors are favored by 1.

Also considered: #9 Whittier at #23 Occidental, Wittenberg at #5 Hiram, #15 Ohio Wesleyan at Wooster, #17 Emory at Sewanee, Emerson at #17 Johnson and Wales, and #24 Christopher Newport at Greensboro

Sim blowout watch: Misericordia is a 59 point road dog against #25 Babson.

ITaLRbHAGotN
Hendrix (10-10)(carson333) at Rhodes (13-8)(jeffsu)
I haven't had time lately to find second featured games, my apologies.  But this time it's easy since carson was nice enough to mention the game to me, proof that I take requests so feel free to submit games that you think are worthy of notice.  Anyway, we have here two University teams with similar RPI/projection numbers that are fighting to climb into NT at-large bid consideration.  The winner will probably get a decent boost on the projection report while the loser will regret a lost opportunity to improve the resume.  carson has a small 5-2 lead in the series and his team is favored by 1 on the road.
7/11/2014 4:34 PM (edited)
If LeBron James really wants to make an impact while going back home to northeast Ohio, he should play a season or two at Wooster.  I'm pretty sure he has eligibility remaining.

Last Night
#5 Menlo 65   Chapman 64
Menlo built a 7 point lead at the half and they were up 10 just about ten minutes left in the game when the home team went on a roll.  They scored 8 straight to make it a 2 point game and it was a nail-biter the rest of the way.  Chapman took a small lead in the final couple minutes until Menlo scored a clutch 3ptr with forty-six seconds left to go up by one.  Chapman had one final possession to try and win it but they ran square into the shot-blocking prowess of Menlo's Franklin Sanders.  Sanders blocked not one, not two, but THREE straight shots in the final possession to secure the one point road victory.  Not in Franklin's house!!!

Also considered: #19 Occidental held on for the clutch 68-64 home win over #11 Whittier, #22 Wittenberg went on the road and upset #9 Hiram 65-61, #13 Ohio Wesleyan took care of Wooster 86-67, Sewanee took down #23 Emory 66-59, #16 Johnson and Wales got past Emerson 75-67, and #21 Greensboro took a rankings spot away from Christopher Newport thanks to a 90-78 victory.

Sim blowout watch: Misericordia couldn't avoid the century mark but they still covered against Babson 69-102.

ITaLRbHAGotN: Hendrix was down 1 at the half to Rhodes but had a big second half to pull away for an 81-69 road victory.

GotN
#23 Emory (15-5)(jojoe) at #2 Millsaps (19-2)(brianxavier)
Millsaps is 11-1 in conference play and won the earlier matchup between these two.  Emory has a one game lead for second place in the division and a first round bye in the conference tourney, the road upset here would be huge and a nice boost to post-season positioning.  brian has won all three previous games and his team is favored by 6 at home.

Also considered: #10 Emory and Henry at Bridgewater, #12 Vassar at Utica, Rivier at #16 Johnson and Wales, Daniel Webster at #17 Emmanuel, and Gallaudet at #20 Mary Washington

Sim blowout watch: California Lutheran is getting a hefty 64 points as they go on the road to #19 Occidental.
7/11/2014 4:58 PM
The good news is that Menlo has zero seniors.  With zone and playing slowdown I might be able to keep it within 20 next year.
7/11/2014 5:24 PM
I'm back guys! I'll be updating the Starr Scores as soon as recruiting ends for me in Crum, and also the Coach Scores for last season in Crum if any of you play there.

Maybe it was because I've been online recruiting heavy but I literally had a dream about WhatIfSports last night. I'm guessing that's probably not a good sign.
7/13/2014 8:50 AM
Starr Scores have been updated through the last game played. One more SS update for the season and that will be after the CT semifinals. Coach scores for Crum came out if anyone is interested and don't forget to vote on the site for the next world to bring coach scores to. Wooden and Knight are tied and whoever takes the lead gets it, I'm ready to go.

Starting with this last season in Crum, I included the coaches in the update who don't actually yield a score but are active coaches in the world. So now you guys can scroll down and see how many coaches coach in each world in any given season. I'll be including this in all future updates for all coach score worlds.

http;//StarrEngine.Yolasite.com

P.S. - BX just had a player pass the 100 SS mark and if you can believe it, he has another player who has a shot of doing it this season.
7/15/2014 12:31 AM
So yeah.... the GotN writeups kinda died here at the end of the season, my sincere apologies for letting everyone down.  Hopefully no one was so depressed that they stopped game-planning and ignoring their pretend players.  I promise I'll recover during the offseason and come back next season refreshed and ready to go.

But before we get to that we have some post-season tournaments to get to, good luck everyone.

7/17/2014 4:08 PM
My first season will most likely be coming to a close against Whittier in a couple days. I've got a pretty great record but my predecessor scheduled an easy non conference match up so I'm not even on the bubble NT tourney. Do you guys think I'll be in the PI if I beat Texas, Tyler tonight?
7/18/2014 3:16 PM
You're sitting at 106 on the projection report and Texas Tyler is 158, so it's very doubtful beating them will be enough.  You'll need a win against whoever comes out of the top of the bracket (Whittier probably) to have a chance at jumping up into the PI range.
7/18/2014 3:55 PM
If anyone is looking for a challenge - in Naismith a bunch of coaches took over teams 3 seasons ago to try and challenge the UAA for conference supremacy.  The world is loaded with crazy successful coaches…. so a bunch of other guys filled in other conferences to try and challenge them.  The North Atlantic Conference was completely taken over by 11 coaches and just finished year 3… we became the 3rd best conference and just lost one coach at Johnson State.  

We'd love to fill the vacancy and see if we can continue our surge.  Right now we had lots of solid teams but no one worth of competing for the National Title, which was won by a team in the UAA coached by jsajsa….

Sign ups for the public are Monday July 21.  Or if you have a team in that world, consider a move our way!

Rupp D3 has become quite competitive too, but i would guess that Naismith is just a little bit more difficult right now due to the depth of coaching talent.  

7/19/2014 2:32 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 7/19/2014 2:34:00 PM (view original):
If anyone is looking for a challenge - in Naismith a bunch of coaches took over teams 3 seasons ago to try and challenge the UAA for conference supremacy.  The world is loaded with crazy successful coaches…. so a bunch of other guys filled in other conferences to try and challenge them.  The North Atlantic Conference was completely taken over by 11 coaches and just finished year 3… we became the 3rd best conference and just lost one coach at Johnson State.  

We'd love to fill the vacancy and see if we can continue our surge.  Right now we had lots of solid teams but no one worth of competing for the National Title, which was won by a team in the UAA coached by jsajsa….

Sign ups for the public are Monday July 21.  Or if you have a team in that world, consider a move our way!

Rupp D3 has become quite competitive too, but i would guess that Naismith is just a little bit more difficult right now due to the depth of coaching talent.  

+1

Naismith D3 is stacked with coaching talent and is a blast to play in.  I think some of the Rupp North Coast guys should check it out...ez, darnoc, plato, pseudo?  

The UAA needs some competition! 
7/19/2014 3:56 PM
Thanks for including me pepwaves. I don't even have one title under my belt yet in either world I play in. I'm not deserving of the vacancy. I guess I can still be considered a pretty young coach so hopefully someday I can join you legends. Until then, I probably won't be of much help to the North Atlantic.
7/19/2014 4:52 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Season 74, D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.