Geography League Draft Order Topic

So it came down between the slugger who happens to be the only hall of famer from my adopted home state, and a pitcher who pitches really well with dirty socks.
From the region named after a movie I've never seen...

Curt Schilling P (1990)

7/14/2014 9:09 PM
stagecoach is john wayne's big at bat his rookie year

if you wanna know what american cinema, as kevin costner calls it, and tv is about,  from about 1940 to 1965, this is the shtick

its pretty lame and pretty must see
7/14/2014 9:24 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 7/14/2014 9:24:00 PM (view original):
stagecoach is john wayne's big at bat his rookie year

if you wanna know what american cinema, as kevin costner calls it, and tv is about,  from about 1940 to 1965, this is the shtick

its pretty lame and pretty must see
I'll take this into consideration the next time I'm bored at home with nothing on tv to watch, however, I don't think netflix streams it... I guess I'll settle with having seen john wayne's only oscar winning performance (even though I think dustin hoffman deserved it that year)
7/14/2014 9:38 PM
To clarify...
No DH, right?

And we're drafting 30, so that means each season we could choose 5 players to carry to the next season while thy remain inactive?

Will we maintain 30-man rosters going forward?
7/14/2014 11:07 PM
I would guess the 5 extra would be put into AAA
7/14/2014 11:16 PM
Round 8 Dixie--'24 Bill Terry 1B
7/14/2014 11:42 PM
round 8 early california butch wensloff
7/15/2014 11:01 PM (edited)
I'd say he has everything required to be a HELLUVA leadoff man, but honestly he's nothing special in the broadcasting booth.
2B Joe Morgan 1965  - Texarkana   round 8
7/15/2014 3:24 AM
Ok, three picks missing but at 10 am Tuesday we can start Round 9. 

Yes crazyamos and chargingryno, since there are no computer-generated  AAA in this league, the extra 5 players will stay in AAA as your reserves (though you are free to draft only up to 25 or any number under 30 overall if you choose). When you are in the DC after we have a league number (after I draft my own 30 players), you write down the 5 you are temporarily cutting to get down to 25, which will open a window allowing you to pick your own AAA - you pick those five - and only those five players left over on your drafted roster from this draft and then the ballpark and team name and you are in. 

I will repeat these instructions as we get closer in case anyone is new to progressive leagues where you pick your own AAA (in reality simply the overflow players beyond 25 from the draft). 

bagchucker, I admit being perplexed by your choice of player this round, but to each their own - a one-year phenom and not earth shaking at that - a hidden strategy perhaps? 

But your comment on John Wayne's rookie movie is quite right on. It is a very good movie and set up all the great ones to come, such as "The Searchers", and possibly the greatest movie ever made, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". 

As to the DH, my initial assumption was no DH. It is true that these rosters are going to be loaded and it might be that this league is more appropriate to a DH than most. I am not sure I like the DH anyway, but am open to the idea - so feel free to comment if you have a strong pro or con feeling on this issue and we can always put it to a vote if it seems like there is interest.

7/15/2014 4:49 AM
Here is Stagecoach - it is in English with Spanish subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhNalQgWaNg

7/15/2014 4:56 AM
we trade rd 9 New England to Bagchucker for rd 9 Texarkana....Bagchucker to confirm....
7/15/2014 6:51 AM
i think we should have a DH...the defense of the early guys will be atrocious for one reason....
7/15/2014 7:21 AM
We're trading our current world pick to Cleonjones for Dennis Eckersley.

Now 4 or our 8 guys have Red Sox years.
7/15/2014 9:09 AM
Round 8:

shawbigred Midwest Progressivism  .P John Smoltz 1988    
cleonjones Calfornia 1990 on    Dennis Eckersley P 1975(traded to crazyamos) and Rest of World (from crazyamos) Fernando Valenzuela P 1981      
benfc   Caribbean                 Roberto Clemente OF1955      
shysters3   Dixie                           Bill Terry 1B 1924        
coloradokid Atlantic Coast                   Billy Hamilton - OF 1888      
grayfoxx   Pennsylvania                   Rube Waddell P 1899      
italyprof   Illinois                               Robin Roberts P 1948        
cardsfan   Down the Mississippi   Smoky Joe Wood, P-1909.    
mini157   Stagecoach (from bublooo)    Curt Schilling P 1990        
crazyamos   traded pick for Dennis Eckersley      
chargingryno New England (from bagchucker)  Roger Connor -1B 1885      
stroh23   Appalachia                    P Bob Caruthers 1885      
sooners07 New York                       Hank Greenberg 1B 1933        
bublooo   Ohio (from mini157)     P Jack Pfiester 1906      
dnmchill   Texarkana                    2B Joe Morgan 1965      
bagchucker California pre-1990 (from chargingryno)   Butch Wenslof P 1943    

7/15/2014 12:59 PM (edited)
9th round world pick - wait for Cleonjones to go. I held him up for a while on the trade.
7/15/2014 9:21 AM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21...65 Next ▸
Geography League Draft Order Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.