Geography League Draft Order Topic

Stagecoach - Walter 'Big Train' Johnson  1907
7/9/2014 4:55 PM
We have our first trade in the league: 

sooners07 sends me his 3rd round pick (Midwest) and his fifth round pick (Pennsylvania) for my 3rd round pick (Pennsylvania). 

To be confirmed by sooners07

(ps can't wait till we all start getting some regions in rounds we don't want them that badly and pick some ballparks so I will have team names and places to refer to, but it will be a while before that happens I think). 
7/9/2014 5:01 PM
Dont trades have to be even?? 2 picks for 2 picks??
7/9/2014 5:03 PM
Round 2:

benfc Atlantic Coast    Jimmy Foxx 1B 1927    
italyprof Down the Mississippi Yogi Berra C 1947     
grayfoxx Ohio      Cy Young P 1890    
chargingryno Rest of the World    Ichiro Suzuki OF 2001    
cleonjones Caribbean    Manny Ramirez OF 1994    
shawbigred New York      Warren Spahn P 1946    
stroh23 Dixie      Mr. Henry Aaron  OF 1954    
cardsfan Illinois      Joe McGinnity P 1900    
crazyamos California pre-1990    round 1: Ted Williams OF 1939  round 2: Tom Seaver P  1967    
sooners07 Texarkana    Rogers Hornsby 2B 1915    
shysters3 Calfornia 1990 on    Randy Johnson P 1988    
dnmchill Stagecoach    Walter Johnson P 1907    
coloradokid New England    Tim Keefe P 1885    
bagchucker Pennsylvania    Honus Wagner SS 1897    
bublooo Midwest Progressivism  Al Simmons OF 1924    

mini157 Appalachia                       
Jesse Burkette P 1890  (sorry had some spacing problems with the excel paste here)

Players already selected: (by region): 

Atlantic Coast                Babe Ruth     Jimmy Foxx 

California pre-1990         Ted Williams   Tom Seaver

California 1990 on         Barry Bonds   Randy Johnson 

Ohio                                    George Sisler    Cy Young  

Texarkana                          Ernie Banks   Rogers Hornsby

New York                             Lou Gehrig      Warren Spahn 

Midwestern                          Addie Joss    Al Simmons

Down the Mississippi          Carl Hubbell     Yogi Berra 

Illinois                                     Rickey Henderson     Joe McGinnity

New England                           Nap Lajoie           Tim Keefe 

Pennsylvania                          Stan Musial  Honus Wagner

Stagecoach                           Mickey Mantle   Walter Johnson

Dixie                                          Ty Cobb  Henry Aaron 

Rest of World                        Mariano Rivera     Ichiro Suzuki 

Caribbean                               Albert Pujols   Manny Ramirez

Appalachia                              George Brett   Jesse Burkette 
7/10/2014 6:58 AM (edited)
Grayfoxx, I was a little surprised to get the offer. But a trade always involves someone's estimate of the worth of a player or pick compared with other players or picks. 

If you look closely at what sooners07 is obtaining you can probably figure out what he wants for round 3 and he sees that player as worth more than who is available in the region he was assigned randomly plus what will be in Pennsylvania around round 5. 

I on the other hand think that there is good value, and while I would not have traded the players available in the two regions in round 3 one for one, think it worthwhile to make this choice. 

Since I can only draft 30 players maximum plus a stadium I can't use more than 31 draft picks. So either I will do serious research to determine if pick no. 31 is worth having or will look to trade a different round for a player or pick. 

Speaking of which I have not made any rules about trades so far, except that they are allowed. I don't really like vetoes in progressive trades and I also don't have a problem with people trading future picks - though in the latter case since an owner may leave and strand a new owner without draft picks, let's say no vetoes and you can trade up to 3 seasons from now draft picks. 

If anyone really doesn't like either rule let me know and we can put these up to a vote. 
7/9/2014 5:27 PM
As for this trade, since it is a new league and involves the commissioner, I will offer sooners07 my round 20 pick (New York) for the sake of symmetry and transparency. I have no idea who the 20th best player is from NY but am happy to include that in the trade as it can help sooners07 get to 30 players. 
7/9/2014 5:29 PM
Posted by italyprof on 7/9/2014 5:29:00 PM (view original):
As for this trade, since it is a new league and involves the commissioner, I will offer sooners07 my round 20 pick (New York) for the sake of symmetry and transparency. I have no idea who the 20th best player is from NY but am happy to include that in the trade as it can help sooners07 get to 30 players. 
you could adopt the NWP rule that all uneven draft pick trades include the teams gaining the extra pick's last pick in the draft.  

So this trade would include Italy's 31st round pick
7/9/2014 5:39 PM
That is a good general rule ryno and I will adopt it for this league too.

But in the case of this trade, since I am one of the participants, and acting as one of the participants rather than with the commissioner's hat (davy crocket hat of course) I will add my 20th rounder. 

So it is: 

sooners'7 sends his 3rd round pick (Midwest) and 5th round pick (Pennsylvania) to italyprof for italyprof's 3rd round pick (Pennsylvania) and 20th round pick (New York). 

sooners07 to confirm. 
7/9/2014 6:02 PM
We still have 5 picks we need made in round 2. 
7/9/2014 6:03 PM
Tough call out of Dixie, but I will pick Hank Aaron 1954
7/9/2014 6:25 PM
I think sooners is making me wait as long as possible to know who I will get in round 3 :) 
7/9/2014 6:47 PM
alright - I've got my picks through round 7 planned out - everyone else needs to get on my level of boredom/excitement
7/9/2014 7:22 PM
Best available--'88 Randy Johnson--P
7/9/2014 7:50 PM (edited)
well, i just worked a 12 and now i have four trade offers to sift through

whats so GD great about Pennsylvania?

oh yeah, my gramma
7/9/2014 9:24 PM
I have 5 New York picks in this draft.  (Rounds: 5, 10, 11, 16, 23) - I am looking to trade round for round a Pennsylvania pick.  Round 5 for round 5...etc 

Let me know if interested.  
7/9/2014 9:36 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...65 Next ▸
Geography League Draft Order Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.