Cookies of the Past Topic

I'm putting a team together and came across good ol' Taylor Douthit.  Got me thinking about the cookies of old.  Has anyone recently used any of the great old cookies like Caruthers, Ashburn, and so on?  Would it be possible to put an Open League team together with a half dozen or so cookies of yesteryear?  Has anyone tried?
7/8/2014 10:17 PM
I know Salary has prevented a lot of people from using Caruthers much anymore
7/9/2014 10:45 AM
     mmm cookies !
7/9/2014 6:35 PM
I use 1887 Caruthers. not his former cookie season.
7/10/2014 12:45 AM
Did no one get my Joss eats the cookies of the past joke?
7/11/2014 7:56 PM
I'm using a '60 Ashburn season. He still knows how to draw a walk. '93 Tony Phillips was a great cookie. '27 Art Decatur was my favorite 200k pitcher till they adjusted salaries. Ted Lyons was a cookie. There was a phase of using good hitting pitchers. 1904 Highball Wilson was money as a 200k guy...I tried fitting Caruthers into an OL roster, but he's kinda pricey now. During the Clarkson/Long A days, guys like Titcomb and Knell were cookies...the BB rates weren't the best, but they were serious inning eaters.
7/11/2014 11:59 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 7/11/2014 11:59:00 PM (view original):
I'm using a '60 Ashburn season. He still knows how to draw a walk. '93 Tony Phillips was a great cookie. '27 Art Decatur was my favorite 200k pitcher till they adjusted salaries. Ted Lyons was a cookie. There was a phase of using good hitting pitchers. 1904 Highball Wilson was money as a 200k guy...I tried fitting Caruthers into an OL roster, but he's kinda pricey now. During the Clarkson/Long A days, guys like Titcomb and Knell were cookies...the BB rates weren't the best, but they were serious inning eaters.
Clarkson Long A...I had totally forgotten about that.  I wonder if anyone still uses it...
7/13/2014 9:18 AM
TP '93!
7/13/2014 1:14 PM
Posted by teaparty on 7/13/2014 9:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by DoctorKz on 7/11/2014 11:59:00 PM (view original):
Clarkson Long A...I had totally forgotten about that.  I wonder if anyone still uses it...
'85 Clarkson costs over $30M now...
7/13/2014 4:44 PM
I came in right at the end of the Long A glitch; my first experience with exploiting the system was the 1894 Pitchers phenomenon.  Won a couple OLs with that, spending less than $15 mil on pitching (lowest was $12 mil) with Milacki and McDowell in AAA all season and pitching just about every other game in the playoffs.  Al Maul, Terry Adonis, Dad Clarke - they'll always be in the Pinotfan Hall of Fame.
7/13/2014 7:45 PM
and who can forget Dupee Shaw?  If I'm recalling things correctly (it's been 8 or so years back now), his 1887 Season with 241 ip used to cost something like $500,000.  He was on a lot of rosters and could toss tons of innings without fatigue.  is it possible he might have even cost less than $500k?    
7/18/2014 1:23 PM
Posted by redwingscup on 7/18/2014 1:23:00 PM (view original):
and who can forget Dupee Shaw?  If I'm recalling things correctly (it's been 8 or so years back now), his 1887 Season with 241 ip used to cost something like $500,000.  He was on a lot of rosters and could toss tons of innings without fatigue.  is it possible he might have even cost less than $500k?    
He was 200K back in the day. There were a handful of 200IP pitchers you could draft at that price because of a pricing bug, and he was one.

Thus, he (or similar players) were on every team at *least* as mops if not as 4th starters
7/18/2014 10:19 PM
Posted by uncleal on 7/18/2014 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by redwingscup on 7/18/2014 1:23:00 PM (view original):
He was 200K back in the day. There were a handful of 200IP pitchers you could draft at that price because of a pricing bug, and he was one.

Thus, he (or similar players) were on every team at *least* as mops if not as 4th starters
Thanks, I thought he was but wasn't sure enough to post my recollection at $200k for him.   Seems so ridiculous in hindsight.
7/21/2014 7:29 PM
I hate to say this, because inaccurate historical simulations is not something any of us particularly want, but reading about the days of these pitching pricing glitches makes me wish this were still the case - 

First of all being able to have a four man rotation because your fourth starters costs 200K or so would add more options. Second the whole pricing of pitchers that were also great batters is more realistic at least pre-DH (or pre-Woodrow Wilson, whatever), being able to use the pitchers in the SIM with hundreds of IP which right now can't happen in OLs, and being able to spend $15-20 mil on pitching allowing for many of the great hitters to get in the OLs, as well as the odd assortment of cookies and possibilities would be a welcome change from the utterly predictable endless Joss/Petco era. 

At least there would be more variety and less predictability. Since they won't ever answer our endless pleas for a new update, perhaps we can convince them to just undo the last one? 
7/22/2014 5:40 AM
wee willie keeler

dizzy dean
7/22/2014 5:54 AM
12 Next ▸
Cookies of the Past Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.