Random 5 (47 mil.) - (14 in) Revised Topic

Posted by robusk on 7/23/2014 4:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by snydpie on 7/23/2014 3:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 7/23/2014 8:22:00 AM (view original):
Curious: are you randomizing team and year separately or as a unit?
Teams and years separately.
I thought that might be the case, which raises an interesting point (I am not trying to raise a big fuss here, just a discussion):

I would say the reason everyone is getting such crappy draws has a little less to do with randomness than we might think based on the way this is structured. Even though the more usable seasons (after the NBA/ABA merger) make up 63% of the available years (along with the denser years), the gross number of defunct tams make up like almost 60% of the the team base. Then, with most of the active teams, a number of them also have a history pre-merger.  So we are more heavily slanted towards early years even though a much larger number of the total player seasons are in the latter half.

Not saying we have to change it.  But it is something to think about.
I would say you would get better results by doing year first and then teams available in that year.  Just a thought if we were concerned about better teams.
7/23/2014 4:53 PM
Posted by snydpie on 7/23/2014 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 7/23/2014 4:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by snydpie on 7/23/2014 4:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 7/23/2014 8:23:00 AM (view original):
I have a team complete, but I certainly don't love it.  I would go with a second team as well just to increase the chance that I get a better draw.
Robusk, your 2nd team is:

PG. Brooklyn Nets 2013-14
SG. Houston Mavs 1967-68
SF. K.C. Omaha Kings 1972-73
PF. Baltimore Bullets 1960-61
C. OKC Thunder 2009-10
Baltimore Bullets weren't an active 60/61 team.
Just saw that lol. Sorry 1952 Baltimore Bullets
Ugh, really?  Not good.
7/23/2014 4:53 PM
You need a re-draw for your 2nd team robusk 4-sure
7/23/2014 4:57 PM
Yeah robusk some of these teams are brutal. I'm thinkin about a 5 team random without the designated position next time. We are too deep into this thing to change it now but next league will be different 4-sure.
7/23/2014 5:05 PM
Yeah, I get that.  I don't think you need to go that far though.  If you did year then team you would greatly increase team quality.  I could see your proposal as well though.
7/23/2014 6:22 PM
Posted by snydpie on 7/23/2014 5:05:00 PM (view original):
Yeah robusk some of these teams are brutal. I'm thinkin about a 5 team random without the designated position next time. We are too deep into this thing to change it now but next league will be different 4-sure.
How about me able to redraw a 2nd time? My redraw was worse than my first team
7/23/2014 6:26 PM
Posted by robusk on 7/23/2014 6:22:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, I get that.  I don't think you need to go that far though.  If you did year then team you would greatly increase team quality.  I could see your proposal as well though.
There are a lot of different things I have been considering.
7/23/2014 6:38 PM
Posted by snydpie on 7/23/2014 4:57:00 PM (view original):
You need a re-draw for your 2nd team robusk 4-sure
Yes please.
7/23/2014 6:43 PM
Posted by eleibowitz on 7/23/2014 6:26:00 PM (view original):
Your first team was the second best draw so far.  I wouldn't have gave up that one.
7/23/2014 6:45 PM
The re-draw rule is a one time thing by the rules. That is the risk of the re-draw. If we bend the rules it becomes like a circus. If I bend the rules for you I have to bend the rules for everyone else. We don't want this thing to become like Johnny Football do we? Tim Tebow? I am considering having 2 teams since my 1st team sucks so bad. A re-draw is still an option for me. Just sayin.......
7/23/2014 6:46 PM
Posted by snydpie on 7/23/2014 6:46:00 PM (view original):
The re-draw rule is a one time thing by the rules. That is the risk of the re-draw. If we bend the rules it becomes like a circus. If I bend the rules for you I have to bend the rules for everyone else. We don't want this thing to become like Johnny Football do we? Tim Tebow? I am considering having 2 teams since my 1st team sucks so bad. A re-draw is still an option for me. Just sayin.......
But I have two 50's teams on my redraw. Isn't there some kind of rule on that? Since I can't redraw im going to bow out. No need to waste my money
7/23/2014 7:09 PM
I sent out site mails to everyone in the league. Your thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated. We are 1/2 full already so we need to figure out what is the best option going forward to fill this league. It is fun randomizing these teams for you guys and they are much more attractive without the designated position. We can keep the re-draw rule or get rid of it and keep our original draws. If you want to continue with this league the way it is then we will keep pushing forward,. Thx guys
7/23/2014 7:42 PM
I usually dont like to give my opinion about them leagues, but I do think this one has potential. I've been following the thread but haven't pulled the trigger because I thought it was based too much on randomness and not on skill. I do have a couple of ideas though:

1) If you keep both the year and team random, do it based on decades. It could turn into a league with multiple seasons this way.

2) Either randomize the team or the year, not both. There are too many old bad teams that will restrict someone if one team gets a superstar.
7/23/2014 8:33 PM
Keep the overall premise to where each position is based on different roster though.
7/23/2014 8:35 PM
I like the difficulty of the position assignments, I don't want it to be too easy.  My preference would be either to re-draw using only team past the NBA/ABA merger or make each season/team combo an option instead of doing separately.  If you were worried about how difficult it would be to make that list, I think I could put one together in a couple of minutes using a spreadsheet I have.  I definitely do not want to go by decade or doing whole franchise.

If you want to preserve the draws already made, I could go with your proposal to get rid of position designations, but it isn't my preference.  It is just going to create situations where the entire team is made up of 95% guys from each owners 1-2 modern teams.  I would abide if it was the preference though.
7/23/2014 8:50 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...12 Next ▸
Random 5 (47 mil.) - (14 in) Revised Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.