Rule V Leg #45 - waitlist Topic

Originally created many moons ago by examinerebb, this league makes any franchise a contender (the Angels and Twins have won recently), and a better group of owners can't be found on the site. There is much good-natured banter in the draft thread and the league chat, so bring your sense of humor. The rules are simple:

1. Each owner chooses a franchise. Franchise draft order is in inverse order of win percentage from the previous season for non-playoff teams, then inverse order of win percentage of non-World Series playoff teams, with the WS runner-up picking 23rd, and the WS champ choosing last. New owners will be assigned the draft position of any previous owners who are not returning, with the first to sign up receiving the highest slot, and so on.  Division alignment will be determined by the commissioner after team selection is complete.  We will attempt to keep divisions as close to real life as possible.  Geography will be the first factor, but we will also attempt to maintain traditional rivalries if possible.

2. Each owner chooses five players he/she wishes to protect from that franchise (1969-2013) and submits that list via sitemail to me. Those players are the exclusive property of their respective owners.

3. After all lists are submitted, they will be posted and a three round modified Rule V draft will be held, with draft order being inverse order of each franchise's Rule V win percentage through all legs from which we have data (the worst teams pick first).  Many thanks to schwarze for compiling this data.  Each owner selects one unprotected player from any active franchise but their own (player seasons for franchises that were not chosen are not eligible). That player is also theirs exclusively. No more than two players may be taken from any one franchise in any one round.

4. At the end of the first and second rounds, each owner will choose an additional player they wish to protect. You will end up protecting seven in all, while drafting three. These ten players must appear on your roster. The rest of the roster is filled by players from your franchise during the given time period (1969-present day).

$120 Million Cap
No trades
No WW
No DH
No AAA

No clones (same player, same franchise - if a player played for more than one franchise, he is available once for each franchise)
If a player split time between multiple teams in a season (as listed at WIS) his full season is available once for each team
SLL limited to current series
Stadium must have been used by your franchise for at least one full season between 1969 and 2013
Tiebreaker for draft positions will be run differential from the previous season, worse differential picks first

For those new to the Rule V fold:

There is much good-natured ribbing during the draft (we try not to be too player-specific, so as not to influence the draft, but sometimes the temptation is too much). Do not take it personally. Pick a draft strategy and stay the course, regardless.

Glossary

He Who Must Not Be Named (HWMNBN) - A former player/manager/dirtbag for the Cincinnati Reds (and later, Philadelphia Phillies and Montreal Expos) who defiled the grand game of baseball. No Rule V team has ever won a title with him, so heed jose's warnings about karma. I would imagine Lady Karma grows weary from teaching the same lesson over and over, as the ruler with which she raps offending knuckles seems to grow with each passing season.  The scumbag finally won a couple of championships.  Lady Karma has stunned us all with this development

The Single Most Overrated Pitcher of All Time (TSMOPOAT) - Nolan Ryan

The Single Most Overrated Position Player of All Time (TSMOPPOAT) - Cal Ripken, Jr.

(Both of those players designated by Vegas...see below)

Vegas - jose can u c - Our Rule V Prediction King (emeritus)

New Entry: Alleyviper's Favorite Third Baseman of All Time (AFTBOAT) - Scott Rolen (has picked him at least four drafts)
7/20/2014 10:50 AM
Returning Owners:

1. sinfonian11*
  2. marlowe*
  3. Robin4*
  4. mllama54*
  5. alice*
  6. rbow923*
  7. ff09*
  8. buddhagamer*
  9. mussopini23*
  10. koyunlu*
  11. deathdealer*
  12. spoonfed*
  13. spikeboots*
  14. tridentric*
  15. llcoach
  16. twfan*
  17. dilligafdbp*
  18. alleyviper*
  19. trenchfoot*
  20. specsman*
  21. tjefferson*
  22. dvorr80*
  23. pumpkinmcp*
  24. shaybee*

* Ready to draft

Waitlist

1. DoctorKz
  2. bublooo
  3. jose can u c (Yes, vegas himself)
  4. bullet6464 
7/22/2014 4:16 PM (edited)
Looks like we're full for this season, but because we've had a hiatus of a few weeks, I'm going to make sure I can get in touch with everyone via sitemail before we start drafting.  schwarze isn't playing this season, and shaybee is coming back to take his spot.  I sitemailed Disco Dogs a couple of weeks ago, but never heard back.  So, the two owners who helped us out last season, alice and buddhagamer, will be able to stay with us for the upcoming season.
7/20/2014 10:56 AM
Have heard from 18 so far.  Will check in once more tonight.
7/20/2014 9:27 PM
Am ready if you need me, commish...If not I will be Chief of the Knothole Gang
7/20/2014 10:00 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 7/20/2014 10:00:00 PM (view original):
Am ready if you need me, commish...If not I will be Chief of the Knothole Gang
Sounds good, Doc.  Just heard from specsman, so 19 have checked in so far.
7/20/2014 10:22 PM
Any word from Jose can u c? The predictions were always lots of fun...
7/20/2014 10:25 PM
I see pini is one of the last to respond...some things never change.
7/20/2014 10:37 PM
I will join the waitlist if I may
7/20/2014 10:51 PM
bubloo...I'll add you to the waitlist. 
7/21/2014 11:34 AM
Posted by DoctorKz on 7/20/2014 10:25:00 PM (view original):
Any word from Jose can u c? The predictions were always lots of fun...
I've not heard from jose, though bullet6464 made mention of him in our NABCL HBD World.  He didn't get specific, but indicated that jose has surfaced somewhere on WIS.  Heard from shaybee and pini this morning.  Just three left to check in.
7/21/2014 11:35 AM
Still need to hear from trenchfoot, llcoach and twfan.  None of them have opened the sitemail I sent yesterday.  Hoping to hear from them in the next day or so.
7/21/2014 12:53 PM
twfan has reported for duty.
7/21/2014 6:28 PM
Jose said add him to the waitlist. Perhaps the Prediction King will at least stop by...I told him about Area51's blacklist league needing a few owners to get it off the ground, am hoping to see him or a few of you there as well...
7/21/2014 10:46 PM
So who was the first guy that won a ring with HWMNBN? That information should be posted for all to see. Oh, the shame...I cannot imagine what wicked fate awaits that poor sole...
7/21/2014 10:52 PM
123 Next ▸
Rule V Leg #45 - waitlist Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.