NDL 4 Commentary thread Topic

Correct, the only exclusives are the ones that were drafted.
We might all have the same backup RB or WR or TE.
And if you check rosters after the league fills you will see a few teams using the same SP Teams, Punters, and Kickers.
7/30/2014 9:04 PM
Got it ..thanks
7/30/2014 9:24 PM
NDL1 Isacqbs team
FearSnowBrownJohnson 13-3-0 0.813 - 5-1 isacqbs58 Milt Plum//Larry Johnson
     lost in the playoffs to SB champ ChiTownBoggie

NDL2 tomhanrahan team
run.. run.. BOMB! 8-7-1 0.531 - 4-2 tomhanrahan Steve Young//Joe Perry/M.Morris
     won the SB

NDL3 johnberlin team
Otto'sTylerRoseSquad 11-5-0 0.688 - 3-3 johnberlin Otto Graham//Earl Campbell
      lost in the playoffs to SB champ  Montana Management

What specific draft choice do the above three successful squads have in common?

And guess who has that for NDL4?

NDL4 gencoimports team
 Montana Management    (results TBD)

If I had the first pick in this draft, it would not be Brady or Manning or Rodgers.
7/31/2014 2:02 PM
Some $30mil defense from Southern California??
7/31/2014 4:06 PM (edited)
They all used the 1990s San Diego defense with the 90+ Run Rating..
8/1/2014 12:51 AM (edited)
In this draft, it seems like there are runs of particular players in each round.

For instance, I took Jamaal Charles, a rb with a moderate run stamina and very high run rating, high in the 4th round.  Following that, similar players such as Hugh McEhlhenny, Skeets Quinlan and CJ Spiller were scooped up not long afterwards.

The same thing happended in the 5th round with all the stud wrs.

In NDL 3, O lines went flying off the board early after whatifle (I think) took the Rams O line #1 overall.  I took Adrian Peterson with my first pick (#12 overall) and expected to get be able to get a great run blocking line like the late 40s 49ers or the 63 Chargers with my 2nd round pick.  But they were both gone and I was forced to "settle" for the Redskins O line.

It's almost a like a reflexive reaction. One guy with a certain skill set goes, espiecally if it's early in the round, then people drafting after the first guy "takes the plunge" follow probably because they don't want to lose a particualr player that he may have his eye on.  
8/1/2014 1:08 AM
I was blown away when I stumbled onto Ray Renfro and his '53 season as a backup RB for Dickerson.  30 run stam and a 5.9 avg plus nearly 800 receiving yards and an 18.8 avg.  Sounds like a poor mans John David Crow.  Not a bad value pick for the late 7th rd.
8/1/2014 4:07 AM
Love that 1990 Chargers D and the best part is they are not over priced. I use them in open leagues as well great run rating with good pass and drive rating
8/1/2014 6:28 AM
Last pick of the draft a starting QB? Not sure I have seen that yet in this league. Welcome Chad Pennington!!!
8/2/2014 9:02 PM
Some pretty interesting teams this season. Couple obsevations I see so far

1. A few high end SPT v.s. a lot of low end SPT. I have had a lt of luck using good SPT in this league.
2. A few passing games look like they maybe pretty weak. A lot of QB stamina but no WR stamina to go with it. Might be a pick fest for some owners.
3. Newbie QBs to this year; McNabb Pennington Stafford and Gabriel returns a 2nd season
4. Running game; We saw a lot of two back schemes last couple season. We still have a fair share of them but now I see more high stamina with a high run rating backing them up. Also seeing some owners going to the platoon run game 3 low stamina high average backs.
5. Noticed a couple team using lower end defenses this year. Ones with low drive stop? The trend has been defense wins championships so far maybe its time the offense takes front seat.
8/3/2014 12:29 PM
1942 Chicago Bears in Da house!! Boone came with the big Dawg and the rest of that team is solid. Good draft Boone I like the squad you have put together. That D is such a pain in the butt!
8/3/2014 2:17 PM
Posted by isacqbs58 on 8/3/2014 12:30:00 PM (view original):
Some pretty interesting teams this season. Couple obsevations I see so far

1. A few high end SPT v.s. a lot of low end SPT. I have had a lt of luck using good SPT in this league.
2. A few passing games look like they maybe pretty weak. A lot of QB stamina but no WR stamina to go with it. Might be a pick fest for some owners.
3. Newbie QBs to this year; McNabb Pennington Stafford and Gabriel returns a 2nd season
4. Running game; We saw a lot of two back schemes last couple season. We still have a fair share of them but now I see more high stamina with a high run rating backing them up. Also seeing some owners going to the platoon run game 3 low stamina high average backs.
5. Noticed a couple team using lower end defenses this year. Ones with low drive stop? The trend has been defense wins championships so far maybe its time the offense takes front seat.
You forgot Matt Ryan and Spec Sanders
8/3/2014 2:36 PM
I'm going to find out just how important O lines really are.  My 2 lines (the 56 Lions and 79 49ers) have excellent pass and sack ratings but are roughly average in run rating.  By drafting rbs with very high run ratings (CJ Spiller and Richard Huntley for my Marino team. Jamaal Charles and Don Calhoun for my Fouts team.) I hope to mitigate the relatively low run ratings of my lines.

With the Marino team, I wonder how many receptions my rbs will get.  BY 2013 standards, the 3 of them (Spiller, Huntley and 1985 Lionel James) combined for 165 receptions.  To be honest, I really don't know if they will approach that mark because of how the SIM can rotate rbs.

I wanted my teams to have a modern look.  What I mean by that is that many of the succesful recently teams (the Pats,Saints, Packers, 49ers for example) use kickers, punters and special teams that are failrly expensive by WIS standards while using $26-$28 mil dollar defenses.  Most of the extra $ I had I used on skill players, so my 2 offenses, on paper anyway, are both better than say the 2007 Pats and 2011 Saints were.

Then again, the Pats and Saints didn't have to face historically great defenses like the 42 Bears or 77 Falcons like my teams will.

We'll see what happens.
8/3/2014 11:15 PM (edited)
I was goin to provide some commentary, but I found it insanely hard to do until I saw the full rosters for each team. Just because someone makes 7 good picks up front, if they have receivers with 440 receptions there is gonna be a lot of guys standing around waiting for balls that don't come. And of they only have 200 receptions the QB is gonna be frustrated that nobody is open. Maybe I'll chime in during the preseason.

Roadhouse, I believe I drafted one of the lowest priced O-lines in NDL 3, and did OK with it.
8/3/2014 8:43 PM
Very interested to see how this goes.... Worried that I might be a little light on rec stamina... but hopefully the big dawg defense will mitigate that to a point. I had to do some squeezing to fit them in, but I think I'm on the right track.

Thanks a ton for putting this league together.... a game hasn't been played yet and I'm definitely in love.
8/3/2014 9:15 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
NDL 4 Commentary thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.