Picking a CIty/Stadium Topic

So I am newer to the game and am just looking for thoughts on the best way to go here... I have an good pitching staff in a world, I actually won the WS in my first season, I didn't have the best regular season record, so I was looking to improve that... I played in New Britian my first season... What is the best way to go, do I switch to a pitching park (say Burlington) or do I go to a hitters park and exploit the fact that my staff is solid?
7/26/2014 10:38 AM (edited)
My suggestion (worth nothing, essentially) would be to go to a pitcher's park if your staff is the best part of your team. Then focus on good defense and ride them to victory.
7/26/2014 12:28 PM
thank you
7/26/2014 12:50 PM
Since you switched to Burlington before you created this thread aren't you mostly just announcing you won a WS?
7/26/2014 2:24 PM
No, I have switched in some other Worlds but this team is actually good (unlike the others), I don't want to screw it up.  I'm not really a message board aficionado, I only use this when I have a question or can help to advertise a world. I was trying to state the caliber of the staff not pump myself up; apologies if it came across that way, that's not my style.  Would you care to answer the question or are you just a message board troll trying to start stuff?
7/26/2014 9:13 PM (edited)
Troll!!!!!!!!!!!     
7/26/2014 10:33 PM

OK, I'll try it another way.   You won the WS.   What is your goal when you play this game?

7/27/2014 7:06 AM
To win the WS but if you saw how it happened, it wasn't by my vast HBD skill... I was the 4 seed and my opponents teams didn't perform how they had all year... I was just asking for advice, which I thought was common on these boards... I want to win more games and get a higher seed to increase my chances of winning in the future (in that world and others)... if you have nothing to add, why do you continue to post on this thread?
7/27/2014 10:27 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Still no answer to my question, thanks MikeT proving yourself useful... and now I'm done w your troll game, best of luck to u sir.
7/27/2014 1:02 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Who are you? I simply asked a question and you turned it completely around to something that it wasn't, I explained myself and still you persist, that is the definition of an Internet troll. I switched cities prior to posting this simply because I wanted to grab the city before someone else did as it is taken in most worlds I've seen. Nothing more... I'm sorry MikeT there's no conspiracy here, no grassy knoll or third gunman. If you can't help me or offer advice then please just move on so I can actually get some help from veterans of HBD.
7/27/2014 1:36 PM
A few points:

1.  You've already moved.  Your decision was made before you asked a question.
2.  You won the WS.   I don't think a team can do better than that.
3.  This thread was created 30 hours ago.  You have one response.  My guess is most see it the same way I do.
4.  Your team will change.  If not this season, then the next.  Will you swap cities every season?
5.  If you think  I'm a troll, and know what that is, do you think "Go away, troll!!!" will work?

But, if you want an answer, good teams will win anywhere.   I won two WS in Scottsdale(LOOK AT ME!!!  LOOK AT ME!!!!).    I led the league in scoring both seasons but I concentrated on acquiring pitching.   Why?  Because my park was going to create runs.  I needed to prevent them.   I was 53-28 on the road in S28(under .500 at home) and 53-28 at home in S30(44-37 on the road).   When the inevitable decline came, I switched to Honolulu because I didn't have the pitching left to prevent runs.   I needed help from the park.
7/27/2014 1:51 PM
Thanks for actually answering the question MikeT, that's all I asked... with only a small sample size and no real way to track ballpark effects, that's all I wanted to know. To clarify your thoughts you would go the opposite way of Burlington then and go with an offensive park to boost my offense? I don't have a lot of HR guys, mostly OBP and decent baserunning. And I'll say it again, I did very little to win that WS, I added two bench guys, a setup guy and two SPs... the team was built to win before I took over (I've stated this point of our world board), I wasn't trying to pump myself up when it was obvious the guy before me did the leg work. I don't play this for public recognition, I do it for fun. But I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts and helping a newbie out.
7/27/2014 2:45 PM
I play in worlds where building for a park is a luxury.   Everyone is competing for the best players so you sort of have to take what you can.  Mostly I know what I have(pitching or hitting) and just try to acquire the other.   As for my Mantle team, I knew I had enough hitting to score in Scottsdale.   So I concentrated on pitching.  Which is, of course, the opposite of my park strength.   Because I switched parks, I've been working on acquiring young hitting(Honolulu is a pitcher's park).  

As for you, NB is a slight pitcher's park.   You were 2nd in pitching and near the league average in runs scored.   If I were you, I wouldn't change parks after winning a WS.   As I've said, that's about the peak of HBD success.   If you don't win the WS in Burlington, you'll have the ol' "what if?" in the back of your head.   So I would stay in NB and try to acquire some hitting.   IMO, that's your best option for continued success. 
7/27/2014 3:20 PM
1234 Next ▸
Picking a CIty/Stadium Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.